Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Don't know if this is a quirk of my car but when out in it recently the door/boot open warning noise suddenly sounded. After checking all the dash, nothing seemed untowards. Not long after it went off again. We realised it happened when my wife opened the glovebox :eek: and to confirm it wasn't just a one off, it happens everytime we open it when we are moving.
I can appreciate this possibly being a 'safety warning' (a bit over zealous on VW's part if it is) but has anyone else noticed this or have I missed something when I read the manual :?:
Regards
DaveL

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Never heard of such a thing- or can fathom out why they would even want to put an alarm on a glovebox that goes off while you are moving.
The only thing I can imagine is that the alarm circuit is somehow faulty and is sensing a voltage-drop type intrusion.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Dave,

I remembered reading something about this before and did a quick search:

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1110&p=10717&hilit=glovebox#p10717

Reading some posts on this thread, it sounds like its something to do with a fault with the courtesy lights so I guess a trip to your dealer is required to look into this.

From that thread:

GTD184 said:
Over the past 6 months I have read several posts relating to errors on the digital display (Virtual Cockpit), however none have made reference to the error I experienced whilst driving my wife's R-Line Tiguan today so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same error?

On the way home whilst travelling on the M42 at 70mph my wife opened the glovebox which immediately resulted in a tailgate open audible and visual warning on the digital display. She closed the glovebox and the warning cleared, opened the glovebox and the warning returned. A few more miles into our journey and she opened the glovebox again but there was no warning or error, so it appears to be a random but nuisance error.

This is the second time in the past week that this issue has occurred so I will bring it to the attention of the dealer to see what he comes up with but in the meantime I would be interested if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It was a Canbus error caused by replacing the incandescent luggage area light unit for a LED supposedly Canbus "error free" unit.

THE LED light unit was not Canbus compatible which was causing the error. Once the LED light was replaced with the OEM incandescent light the fault disappeared!
Never understood the reasoning of VW to install LED lighting throughout the Tiguan but resort to poor incandescent lighting to the glovebox and luggage area where good lighting is required! :roll:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you replace the whole light unit or just the bulb?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Any idea why changing bulbs would give boot open warnings? Surely it would report failed bulbs if it was sensing low resistance leds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Thank you for your replies.
I never thought that it could be the LED bulb I installed as it did not do it on my Mk1 Tiggy.
For the improved illumination, I can live with it.
Thanks again everyone
DaveL

·
Registered
339 Posts
rockman2 said:
Did you replace the whole light unit or just the bulb?
Whole unit purchased via Ebay

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys
Thats the type of bulb I purchased and fitted in the original glove box lamp holder. Rockman2 do you have a similar issue?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I only replaced the one in the boot and don't have any problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts