Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have to confess that I am surprised with the lack of internet forums for the Mk2 Tiguan so as to get some real world feedback from private owners. This forum appears to be the best one I have seen to date.

The reasons for me joining is due to my pending purchase of a compact 4x4 for my wife. Initially we did test drive the Mercedes GLC in AMG -Line trim which is a very nice car and fantastically smooth due to its 9 speed auto. The switch gear is some of the best I have seen on any car regardless of price, however the column gear change and that "ipad" information screen which looks like an engineering bolt on after thought which delayed me pulling the purchase trigger. Another issue with the GLC is the ever decreasing manufacturer and dealer incentives due to its popularity, with that in mind I have turned my attention to the VW Tiguan.

I have researched two Tiguan model variants namely SEL and R-Line in 190ps and DSG but have to confess it has been difficult configuring the ideal car due to the fact that the option of DCC we want on an R-Line is only available on lesser models! I also like the leather trim but at £1400.00 I cannot justify the spend, especially when Mercedes only charge £750.00.

We have had a test drive in a fully specced 190ps R-Line and as expected on country roads the ride was quite fidgety and not very relaxed an issue that DCC would help with but for some unknown reason VW decided not to include DCC as an option. We also have a test drive in a 150ps R-Line over the weekend just to compare with the 190ps but I somehow think my buying decision is still far from concluded.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi GTD184 & welcome..... :) Did you find much difference between the 2 engines 150ps & 190ps on the test drive, as I was only able to test drive the 150ps but have gone for the 190ps :?: Can't give you the answer on DCC sorry, as I'm still waiting delivery....any week now :) :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi stumpy thanks for the warm welcome! ;)

I had a short test drive in the 190ps which only had 1,000 miles on the clock so the engine would have been quite tight. As a Mk7 Golf GTD owner it was very comparable in performance to that be it a little more hushed. I am due to drive the 150ps this coming weekend so cannot make a comparison as yet but I think you have made the right choice in the 190ps :D

Did you chose SEL or R-Line and what spec?.....Local dealer purchase or broker?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome GTD, I presume you can't have dcc on the R line because it has sports suspension as standard, where sports suspension is optional on all the other models. I've also just traded by mk7 GTD for a Tiguan my SEL rides much better on 19's than the GTD on 18's did (not that, that was uncomfortable) so maybe the sports suspension and 20's on the R is the trade off looks for comfort. Where you thinking of buying from?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi GazSEL thanks for the welcome.

I have not ordered yet but my test drives have been via Listers although if I pull the trigger the prices I have sourced to date will probably dictate that my order goes to a dealer outside of the midlands.

I take on board your comments regarding the R-Line sports suspension but the GTD's, GTi's and R versions of the golf all had sports suspension as standard with the option of DCC so I am puzzled as to why it is not available on the R-Line Tiguan. TBH I think it would have been a more popular option on the R-Line variant than the lesser models due to the fact that some roads (especially the UK ones :roll:) are in such a poor state it would give the option to be able to select a softer suspension set up and still retain the visual looks of the R-Line.

On the other hand those buyers who choose the SEL are likely to do so because they want the specification of a top line model but with the comfort, hence a standard option of a softer suspension set up. I guess DCC will be available as part of the 2017 MY upgrades.

My GTD is 29 months old and covered 18,000 miles so I did not propose to PX as the wife will take the Tiguan if we order and as its on a PCP I thought possibly correct that I would have to buy myself out of the contract.

My GTD DSG is riding on 19" Santiago's which can be uncomfortable on a long drive and it has had its fair share of problems including a replacement DSG gearbox, head unit, shock absorbers (3 times), drivers seat cushion and more, some problems I guess your familiar with!

Who did you buy from and did you get stung on the PX? What made you go for SEL over R-Line and how you find the Ergo seats?....Sorry for the many questions :oops:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought mine from Johnson at Tamworth my 3rd from them as think they are the best round by me Wolverhampton coming 2nd and avoid Stafford at all costs. Got 16700 trade in for GTD almost 3 years old and 23000 mile. They just advertised it for 18000 so don't think I got stung + almost 10% discount of the Tig. Shame you had so much go wrong with the golf had no trouble with my last 2 vw hence the third. Ergo seats firm but comfortable, don't like the massage function feels like I'm being punched in the kidneys everytime it's activated :eek: and chose SEL because I chose to spend the difference between that and the r line on extras instead. Plus the less I pay the happier the wife is, and the happier the wife the less hassle I get.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did I guess that you purchased from Johnson's at Tamworth?.....or did I see it on another thread :?

£16,700.00! :shock: did you have any factory options on it? I paid £27k for mine with Pearl Black, Dynaudio, 19" Santiagos, DSG and 4 year warranty. I put £5k down and on the basis of your price I am in negative equity! :roll:

Reference Tiguan - I have managed to secure 12.4% off 2 dealers and 17% from a broker.

I also looked at the SEL for the same reasons as yourself and guess what your wife sounds like mine too :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's a good discount coast2coast? Broadspeed? CarWow? My golf was bog standard, mine was just about breaking even pcp wise at trade in so I dare say yours will be in negative for at least a few months if you had over 3 years or a few more on top of that if over 4.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
GTD184 said:
Hi stumpy thanks for the warm welcome! ;)

I had a short test drive in the 190ps which only had 1,000 miles on the clock so the engine would have been quite tight. As a Mk7 Golf GTD owner it was very comparable in performance to that be it a little more hushed. I am due to drive the 150ps this coming weekend so cannot make a comparison as yet but I think you have made the right choice in the 190ps :D

Did you chose SEL or R-Line and what spec?.....Local dealer purchase or broker?
Went for the SEL with some upgrades 'GTD184', and yes from a local dealer who I have been with before. I sold my Audi A3 within an hour of advertising for 1500 smacker's more than trading in, but I am trading the wife's car in as we needed a car. If you look at my signature it lists what extras I have gone for...hence wife will be driving this Tig as well..defo had to go for the 'Park Assist ' & camera :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GazSEL said:
That's a good discount coast2coast? Broadspeed? CarWow? My golf was bog standard, mine was just about breaking even pcp wise at trade in so I dare say yours will be in negative for at least a few months if you had over 3 years or a few more on top of that if over 4.
Drive the deal!.......I'm going to hold on to the GTD for a year or so as it was never my intention to trade it in for the Tiguan.

stumpy said:
Went for the SEL with some upgrades 'GTD184', and yes from a local dealer who I have been with before. I sold my Audi A3 within an hour of advertising for 1500 smacker's more than trading in, but I am trading the wife's car in as we needed a car. If you look at my signature it lists what extras I have gone for...hence wife will be driving this Tig as well..defo had to go for the 'Park Assist ' & camera :lol: :lol:
The A3's hold a good residual. My wife had a 1.8 petrol Black Edition in 2009 she paid £21k with a £8k GFV after 4 years. The selling Audi dealer offered her £10k against a new car but another dealer came in with £13k after she advertised it on Aurotrader! :D

I've noted the spec of your Tiguan ;) Indium grey looks nice and is my choice in SEL trim, it blends in well with the grey lower mouldings and bumper colour. I have also specked in a tow bar too for transporting my mountain bikes. Liked the leather but the £1475.00 cost put me off.

With reference to your chosen option of park assist and camera I was shown this option on a demo car and I was informed that the camera was not a retractable type like in the previous model, it is fixed hence it is subject to the elements, road grime and water spray which ultimately affects the image as transferred into the head unit display. A problem that would be more of an issue in the winter months I suppose. Also one other small disappointment was the interior lighting in the glove box and boot which unlike all of the interior lighting is not LED but incandescent bulb 'yellow' lighting! :roll:

I had my test drive in the 150ps R-Line today and can confirm the 190 is the better engine, It has more lower end grunt and would be my choice. As mentioned in my earlier posts though the ride comfort in the R-Line is a concern which was confounded by today's test drive. On A roads it is particularly demanding and not much of a relaxing drive, it surely could do with DCC!

I have requested a test drive in a SEL which the dealer has with DCC so hopefully this will happen in the next week or so.

The dilema I face now is that both myself and the wife have chosen the R-Line not an SEL, but in order to buy a car that provides the better and more comfortable driving experience in all situations it would mean buying a SEL. Do I trade the visual appearance of the R-Line over the comfort of the SEL? :roll: :| .........decisions, decisions :roll:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just to add my twopennyworth. I have a SEL TDI 190 with DCC. Glad I went with the 190 I agree it has much better lower end pull, is quiet and I am averaging around 45mpg around home and 48/9 on long runs. I test drove a 150 and found it less flexible and also noisier (maybe it was the demonstrator). I like the ergo seats. I do a lot of salmon fishing and manage to pull a muscle every time these days. The massage function actually suits me on the long drive home but I can see why others might find it distracting. I am far more relaxed after a 250 mile drive than I was in my Audi A4 allroad. So far as DCC goes I do use it (especially in sport setting on windy country roads) but it stays in normal most of the time and is fine for most use on an SEL on 19" rims. I also wanted the off road pack and that doesn't come as an option on the R Line because of the lowered suspension. Personally I think an SEL with offroad pack looks better than an R Line but its a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
salmon fisher totally agree with your comments re 150 vs 190 and I've heard good reviews regarding the ergo seats but not so much about the massage function.

DCC is a good option especially on our potholed ridden roads and any car that has sports suspension. Have you tried the country roads in normal mode as in sport setting which I believe would be the equivalent of sports suspension? I thought the R-Line was quite unsettled given the constant change in cambers and twisty road sections.

I'm just peeved that while most of Europe get DCC as standard on R-Line in the UK does not even get it as an option!

·
Registered
202 Posts
In Netherlands DCC is an option on the highline - the highest trim you can get, and r line doesn't exist as a trim level, it is just an additional body package...i'm fairly sure same is for belgium, Germany and france

·
Registered
37 Posts
JonP said:
In Netherlands DCC is an option on the highline - the highest trim you can get, and r line doesn't exist as a trim level, it is just an additional body package...i'm fairly sure same is for belgium, Germany and france
This is correct ofr all the countries you've listed (plus Switzerland ;)).
Here we have 3 trim level:

:arrow: Trendline
:arrow: Confortline
:arrow: Highline

R-line package exterior is only available for Confortline and Highline while the full int./ext. R-line package is only available with the Highline trim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.