Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Naturally, I am already thinking about my next car having entered into a 2 year lease :D

Spoke to a gentleman today at main dealer who said the manuals have far less problems than the DSG. Also, I told him I quite fancy a Touareg next and he said they are old school automatics and are almost unbreakable. He said the torque delivery etc is completely different. A different experience he said.

Saw deals on those for around 400quid per month when I was looking for a car. Mine is only 250 and I wanted to take it easy seeing it is my first lease.

However, it looks like some people on here pay close to that (400ish) for an R Line tiguan. The Touaregs' are all high spec and 3 litre v6 diesels. Bet that feels so good!

·
Registered
48 Posts
When are the Touaregs getting changed? Ive noticed that they are throwing money at them to try and sell them.
You also have to consider the road tax as they are over £40k.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Touareg will be changed later this year or early next year most likely it will be a revision of the VW Atlas/Q7 platforms for the European markets.

Technically the automatics are not more problematic it's just are more complex with more electrical and mechanical components that can fail.

The reason there are great deals on these cars now is because the vehicle is nearing the end of life cycle, what you have to remember is the corrent version of this car was facelifted in 2010 with a 2 year development cycle that means the technology is potentially from 2008.

VAG group cycles are normally 2 year development , product launch 4 year facelift then new product or revision after another 4 years (with 2 years being the new development) etc

The new version will have considerably more technology look at the revisions from the last Tiguan to the current, they will also be a lot lighter and of course much more fuel efficient.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also asked about when the Touaregs would get the tech specs of the Tiguan and was told 2019.

As autos get better and better, DSGs could be relegated to the history books. BMW certainly think so

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Touareg will definitely be a 2018 year release. The test mule vehicle is test currently is South Africa.

·
Registered
63 Posts
steve_t said:
As autos get better and better, DSGs could be relegated to the history books. BMW certainly think so
DSG is very much here to stay. The older ZF auto transmissions (like in the Touareg) are more robust but not big on performance and shifting (hence its planned obsolescence). Most reputable automakers have shifted to dual clutch transmissions (I'm not quite sure what you meant by BMW, they use a derivation of DSG on all their new auto transmissions).

·
Registered
176 Posts
As above, the vag group are discontinuing all the older style torque converter autos and replacing with dsg boxes. Theyve been around since 2004 so are pretty bulletproof proof these days. Not sure I'd risk a second hand one older than 2010 however. The first 5-6 years definitely lacked longevity without costly maintenance

·
Registered
176 Posts
alphaparticle said:
steve_t said:
(I'm not quite sure what you meant by BMW, they use a derivation of DSG on all their new auto transmissions).
I'm not sure BMW have quite moved across on all cars yet, the 8 speed in the 140i I've noticed the reviews state it's massively impressive considering it isn't a dual clutch style box. Think it's an example of years of refinement but I bet the next gen will drop that box for dsg style

·
Registered
555 Posts
BMW use the 8 speed ZF box in their sport auto option. I had one in the 3 series I've just got rid of and it was smooth as silk, always held up as one of the best out there. Your right, it's not DSG and shows what can be achieved. That said DSG is also great technology.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Must've misconstrued it with some of their performance variants - wasn't aware BMW were still making those transmissions. Very interesting.

·
Registered
555 Posts
M3, M4 use DCT boxes, but not the mainstream stuff. You're right, it's the performance vehicles

·
Registered
122 Posts
alphaparticle said:
steve_t said:
DSG is very much here to stay. The older ZF auto transmissions (like in the Touareg) are more robust but not big on performance and shifting (hence its planned obsolescence). Most reputable automakers have shifted to dual clutch transmissions (I'm not quite sure what you meant by BMW, they use a derivation of DSG on all their new auto transmissions).
http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/04/21/bmw-m-claims-dual-clutch-manual-transmissions-soon-gone/

"BMW M claims dual-clutch and manual transmissions could soon be gone"

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes the ZF 8speed and others offer better than DSG-style changing with the complexity, and also probably higher torque handling. The M135i was praised for it's gearbox and most people couldn't believe it wasn't a dual clutch box.

The chinese-sourced Aisin gearbox in the new BMW X1 was impressive too, 8-speed and changed smoothly and quickly.

It can easily be believed that the DSG gearbox could be made obsolete by otherwise equivalent fast gearboxes with lower production costs and high power handling, leaving proper DCT style gearboxes to sports cars like Porsche and Ferrari etc which currently offer mind blowing gearbox change times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts