Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently had a 3rd service having bought a service plan but I'm told that its not part of the plan, so my question is why is it excluded if it requires changing?

According to VW the Haldex on a gen5 should be changed every 3 years. DSG oil at 40K miles.
My car has done around 16K miles.

Just pissed that its extra to change the Haldex oil having bought a plan, what do others think.
I'm looking at getting rid of this car this year.,

·
Registered
515 Posts
Really annoys me, but VW has always been like this. I just had a major service on ours under the "All In" plan and still got a bill for well over £200. Quite how VW gets away with describing it as "All In" I have no idea.

Did they include the brake fluid change?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me - apparently I should have gone through the list of included items and asked the dealer what was the recommended service regime at 3 years old. That regime was not published anywhere in the car paperwork, nor could I find it online. I complained to the stealer and to VW HQ but I got absolutely nowhere. Only consolation is that I've bought my next car from a different dealer.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The dealer knows - they have a system (ERWIN?) that tells them, although apparently that doesn't demand the 5yr cambelt change that VW UK insists on.

Ours is one of the last of the mk1's and has the mk2 EA288 deisel engine, but has Gen4 Haldex. At the 3yr service the dealer was absolutely adamant that the interval was 40K miles (car had done 18K). I asked VW UK and they said it's 40K for Haldex and 3yrs for DSG! Only on asking them to re-check did they switch them so they were correct.

When it became apparent it was 3yrs the dealer said to bring the car back and they'd do it but insisted I pay as it "wasn't their fault their internal system had the wrong interval". However it also came to light they hadn't done the brake fluid or the "mandatory" 2yr AC service the previous year and they did both of those FOC.

The VW website used to show the intervals for the additional service work - the info about the work itself is still there, but they've removed the time/mileage.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really annoys me, but VW has always been like this. I just had a major service on ours under the "All In" plan and still got a bill for well over £200. Quite how VW gets away with describing it as "All In" I have no idea.

Did they include the brake fluid change?
I was considering the all in plan but now not interested, VW plans are a joke IMO.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same thing happened to me - apparently I should have gone through the list of included items and asked the dealer what was the recommended service regime at 3 years old. That regime was not published anywhere in the car paperwork, nor could I find it online. I complained to the stealer and to VW HQ but I got absolutely nowhere. Only consolation is that I've bought my next car from a different dealer.
I have never managed to find any VW service lists which makes it very difficult to establish what work requires carring out and when.
Every other new car I've had showed clearly what the service included., thats ten in total.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer knows - they have a system (ERWIN?) that tells them, although apparently that doesn't demand the 5yr cambelt change that VW UK insists on.

Ours is one of the last of the mk1's and has the mk2 EA288 deisel engine, but has Gen4 Haldex. At the 3yr service the dealer was absolutely adamant that the interval was 40K miles (car had done 18K). I asked VW UK and they said it's 40K for Haldex and 3yrs for DSG! Only on asking them to re-check did they switch them so they were correct.

When it became apparent it was 3yrs the dealer said to bring the car back and they'd do it but insisted I pay as it "wasn't their fault their internal system had the wrong interval". However it also came to light they hadn't done the brake fluid or the "mandatory" 2yr AC service the previous year and they did both of those FOC.

The VW website used to show the intervals for the additional service work - the info about the work itself is still there, but they've removed the time/mileage.
I had the second service done at the same garage as the last one, but no mention of the brake fluid, now they say the brake fluid is due on the third service at extra cost along with Haldex oil.

Now I know the brake fluid should have been done last year and the Haldex oil change in year 3 I'm going to take it up with the garage

·
Registered
515 Posts
VW brake fluid schedule is three yrs for the first change, then every two years. Dealer forgot to mention it at 3yr service on our car. I was only bothered as I took the extended warranty and didn't want any hassle.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've recently had a 3rd service having bought a service plan but I'm told that its not part of the plan, so my question is why is it excluded if it requires changing?

According to VW the Haldex on a gen5 should be changed every 3 years. DSG oil at 40K miles.
My car has done around 16K miles.

Just pissed that its extra to change the Haldex oil having bought a plan, what do others think.
I'm looking at getting rid of this car this year.,
To be fair to vw they state that the service plan is an oil and inspection service. Given that its a standard monthly price it would be odd to have things like a diff oil change included when other cars wouldn't have it. At the end of the day you aren't out any money so you are no worse off. When you consider the amount of consumables that need changed (wipers, discs, pads, brake fluid, timing belts etc) it was never really likely that thye are going to include basic service items applicable across all models.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was considering the all in plan but now not interested, VW plans are a joke IMO.
Not really. They cover what you pay for, I've driven loads of different cars and service plans haven't covered those items. The current hyundai one does but you need to 'build' the plan based on mileage and how long you want the plan for and the monthly can be VERY expensive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
To be fair, my dealer pointed this problem out with service plans when I bought my Tig. That is why I bought a service and maintenance plan (cost then a little over £13 per month for 3 years). So far this has covered the sunroof service and the aircon service that dealers try hard to sell. My third and final service under the plan is coming up in April and I hope that will cover the brake fluid change and Haldex service as well - fingers crossed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
To be fair, my dealer pointed this problem out with service plans when I bought my Tig. That is why I bought a service and maintenance plan (cost then a little over £13 per month for 3 years). So far this has covered the sunroof service and the aircon service that dealers try hard to sell. My third and final service under the plan is coming up in April and I hope that will cover the brake fluid change and Haldex service as well - fingers crossed.
It depends on what you bought. There's the service plan and the service and then there's the maintenance plan. The service plan when I took it had the BFC thrown in but that was by the dealer, the maintenance plan is something that needs to be quoted based on vehicle and mileage. A service plan won't cover that diff oil but a maintenance plan will.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Was that price based on having annual services? I looked at it for ours but the dealer said it's always based on longlife servicing and with the mileage our car does (5-6K yr) that would have meant the car having one service in 3yrs! At the time there was a 2yr fixed interval service deal for £149 so didn't push it and went for that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Was that price based on having annual services? I looked at it for ours but the dealer said it's always based on longlife servicing and with the mileage our car does (5-6K yr) that would have meant the car having one service in 3yrs! At the time there was a 2yr fixed interval service deal for £149 so didn't push it and went for that.
That's incorrect. The price remains the same whether it's long life or regular servicing. My first service was on regular and I switched when the car was serviced as I was doing 18000 miles a year. Taking a service plan does not commit you to a long life service.
Maybe it was a dealer offer rather than a VW UK plan.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That's incorrect. The price remains the same whether it's long life or regular servicing. My first service was on regular and I switched when the car was serviced as I was doing 18000 miles a year. Taking a service plan does not commit you to a long life service.
Maybe it was a dealer offer rather than a VW UK plan.
Maybe they just go on the mileage - in your case 18K/yr is very close to the absolute max service mileage (18750) so the car would need servicing every year anyway. We didn't get to discussing cost but I've seen some people say they pay sub-£10mth.

It was definitely the VWFS plan as it had service, service and maint, and same plus tyres options. We had the latter on a SEAT some years ago.

Dealers do seem reluctant though - when we got the Ateca the dealer said it can only be taken if the car is leased. I was dubious but it's possible SEAT do insist on that - the various marques don't always do the same thing. Again SEAT had a service offer that rendered the issue moot. We had two annual services on the SEAT plan but the car was some way over the fixed interval mileage and it didn't seem to bother the dealer as in reality the work is the same (they say the oil used is different but it isn't).

·
Registered
365 Posts
My service and maintenance plan is provided by VW not my dealer (payment is collected each month by VW Financial Services). My plan covers 3 services, first MOT and years 2 & 3 VW Breakdown cover (1st year is provided by the dealer). It also pretty much covers anything maintenance wise. I think mine was based on doing 8-10k miles per year. Since I was never going to be eligible for the long life service (mileage too low), I can't comment on what happens in that case (or indeed, if the plan is available in those circumstances).

Of course, VW may no longer offer the plan but it they do and you want peace of mind, it is worth considering.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe they just go on the mileage - in your case 18K/yr is very close to the absolute max service mileage (18750) so the car would need servicing every year anyway. We didn't get to discussing cost but I've seen some people say they pay sub-£10mth. Your cost is good (vs dealer prices) for 3 services.

It was definitely the VWFS plan as it had service, service and maint, and same plus tyres options. We had the latter on a SEAT some years ago.

Dealers do seem reluctant though - when we got the Ateca the dealer said it can only be taken if the car is leased. I was dubious but it's possible SEAT do insist on that - the various marques don't always do the same thing. Again SEAT had a service offer that rendered the issue moot.
When I bought the car the service plan was included. It covered a minor and a major service, dealer had no idea what mileage I would be doing.

People are talking about 2 different products here though - the service plan which is a fixed amount per month on any car Buy a service plan | Volkswagen UK and the service and maintenance plan that is costed out by the planned mileage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My service and maintenance plan is provided by VW not my dealer (payment is collected each month by VW Financial Services). My plan covers 3 services, first MOT and years 2 & 3 VW Breakdown cover (1st year is provided by the dealer). It also pretty much covers anything maintenance wise. I think mine was based on doing 8-10k miles per year. Since I was never going to be eligible for the long life service (mileage too low), I can't comment on what happens in that case (or indeed, if the plan is available in those circumstances).

Of course, VW may no longer offer the plan but it they do and you want peace of mind, it is worth considering.
No the maintenance plan is still available. If you look at the EV deals they are moving towards a system of 3 levels of plan which makes sense in lot of ways.

·
Registered
515 Posts

There's a description of VWFS service, service and maint, and tyres plans on the Skoda website: ŠKODA Bespoke Service Plans | ŠKODA UK

For £13/mth it's a pretty good deal compared to normal dealer prices for you if you get three services (although you don't really need them) plus other time related work.

·
Registered
515 Posts
When I bought the car the service plan was included. It covered a minor and a major service, dealer had no idea what mileage I would be doing.
The plan assumes fixed interval servicing and it's in the T's & C's that the dealer sets the car onto fixed interval servicing - so doing 18K/yr then strictly speaking you should have used both services in the first year.

Our Tiguan was left set to long life though - but only doing 5-6K/yr the dealer still cheerfully did the annual services, and has never objected when I've asked them to leave it on longlife in case the mileage increased.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts