Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
There's a description of VWFS service, service and maint, and tyres plans on the Skoda website: ŠKODA Bespoke Service Plans | ŠKODA UK

For £13/mth it's a pretty good deal compared to normal dealer prices for you if you get three services (although you don't really need them) plus other time related work.
If it was £13 a month it would be. I ran a quote for a 1.0 Karoq and it came out at £30 a month over 3 years which is £1080.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The plan assumes fixed interval servicing and it's in the T's & C's that the dealer sets the car onto fixed interval servicing - so doing 18K/yr then strictly speaking you should have used both services in the first year.

Our Tiguan was left set to long life though - but only doing 5-6K/yr the dealer still cheerfully did the annual services, and has never objected when I've asked them to leave it on longlife in case the mileage increased.
The car was bought with 14000 miles on the clock. When it went in for the service at 20k miles I got them to set it to long life servicing. When I sold it was serviced at 10k, 20k, 40k and due to lockdown at 51k based on time not mileage (my mileage went from 18k a year to 2k!
A dealer will never turn down a service opportunity (at least not if the guys in charge are keeping an eye on things.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If it was £13 a month it would be. I ran a quote for a 1.0 Karoq and it came out at £30 a month over 3 years which is £1080.
Have you just done that on the Skoda site? I don't see that it gives pricing for anything other than the fixed interval two service deal (at £16/mth).

I think where the low pricing comes from on Service & Maint is people are quoted based on, say, 12K/yr over 3yrs. The system assumes the car will be on longlife servicing so will only need one service. Some people swear blind they have this, but get the car serviced every year. I can't see how that can happen - the dealer has to get authorisation from VWFS to carry out the service and they'd refuse.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you just done that on the Skoda site? I don't see that it gives pricing for anything other than the fixed interval two service deal (at £16/mth).

I think where the low pricing comes from on Service & Maint is people are quoted based on, say, 12K/yr over 3yrs. The system assumes the car will be on longlife servicing so will only need one service. Some people swear blind they have this, but get the car serviced every year. I can't see how that can happen - the dealer has to get authorisation from VWFS to carry out the service and they'd refuse.
Yes, get a reg from autotrader and get a quote online. I used the reg of a 1 litre Karoq to get an estimate. Its what I do on any car I'm looking at buying. I look at whole life costs from monthly payments, servicing, maintenance, fuel, VED, insurance etc. You'd be surprised at some of the things that come up. The 5th year service on Hyundai / Kia hybrids is eye watering. 520ds look good value until you look at an all around tyre and brakepad / disc change.

·
Registered
153 Posts

The service plan is 12k miles or one year whichever is sooner. The service plan is priced on that basis. What VWFS pay the dealer is a different matter. In my day the labour rate you paid was around £60 an hour but the labour rate VW paid for warranty work was around £40. Which is why dealers only like simple warranty work. I'd say that VWFS aren't paying full whack on labour rates for servicing either.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes, get a reg from autotrader and get a quote online.
Would you mind posting a link to where you're seeing that?

I can see the 2yr fixed interval service plan at £16/mth (using the reg for a Karoq), but not pricing for the service and maintenance plans. As far as I know they always have to be quoted through a dealer.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The service plan is 12k miles or one year whichever is sooner. The service plan is priced on that basis. What VWFS pay the dealer is a different matter. In my day the labour rate you paid was around £60 an hour but the labour rate VW paid for warranty work was around £40. Which is why dealers only like simple warranty work. I'd say that VWFS aren't paying full whack on labour rates for servicing either.
VW interval is 12mths/9300 miles: Service schedules | Volkswagen UK

The dealer gets about half their normal price from VWFS. The two year service is the biggest rip-off - if you're paying the dealer will try and charge for a major service at £350ish but all that gets done is usual oil and filter, some checks and the pollen filter is changed. By mistake I was given of the invoice to VWFS - it was £110.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Would you mind posting a link to where you're seeing that?

I can see the 2yr fixed interval service plan at £16/mth (using the reg for a Karoq), but not pricing for the service and maintenance plans. As far as I know they always have to be quoted through a

Ah my mistake. I had a play around with the calculator. It depends on the age and mileage. As a year old and 10k miles it's £16 a month. At 2 years 20k miles it's £27 a month. The service and maintenance plan is through the dealer. That's actually too complicated. The Hyundai and Kia system is far more transparent and can be all done online.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I can assure you my 3 year maintenance plan is actually £13.16 per month (just checked my bank account). However, remember this was taken out in April 2019, things are very different now. Also, there was a version of the maintenance plan that included tyres which was more expensive. My plan excludes tyres.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can assure you my 3 year maintenance plan is actually £13.16 per month (just checked my bank account). However, remember this was taken out in April 2019, things are very different now. Also, there was a version of the maintenance plan that included tyres which was more expensive. My plan excludes tyres.
I wasn't doubting you paying £13 :) and I think it was a good deal even for 2019. The £199 for the service plan on my new car is very good value too but its subsidised by VWFS.

·
Registered
515 Posts
To be fair, my dealer pointed this problem out with service plans when I bought my Tig. That is why I bought a service and maintenance plan (cost then a little over £13 per month for 3 years). So far this has covered the sunroof service and the aircon service that dealers try hard to sell. My third and final service under the plan is coming up in April and I hope that will cover the brake fluid change and Haldex service as well - fingers crossed.
According to the drivers guide https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...%20guide.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0DkXlYNXfs9PI1vj1S0Iwg you should get all the stuff due at 3yrs covered.

It does highlight how someone seems to have messed up in your case though - as the car does more than 10K/yr it should be on longlife servicing. Even so, at 36K miles it would have been due for its second service bang on 3yrs so your total price is still unfeasibly low for a couple of services, a/c, sunroof, Haldex and brake fluid. And roadside. For all that plus an additional service it's bonkers. Maybe the dealer offset the cost with some other servicing offer.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It depends on what you bought. There's the service plan and the service and then there's the maintenance plan. The service plan when I took it had the BFC thrown in but that was by the dealer, the maintenance plan is something that needs to be quoted based on vehicle and mileage. A service plan won't cover that diff oil but a maintenance plan will.
I've read the exclusions on my service plan and it does say the BFC is not included, but no mention of the Haldex oil change, which I had no idea was due at 3 years, the older systems gen4 and below were 20K miles, I must have seen this at some time and assumed this was the mileage for any oil change.

Not sure why VW have altered it as my car has less than 16K miles, doesn't seem much to require a oil change.
I've had 2 xtrails and 2 CX-5's all 4wd and none of them needed a oil change in the 4.5 years I had the xtrails 9 years total, and 5 years total for the cx-5's. And no oil change for the TC auto Mazda.

In conclusion the VW product is not for me as for a auto 4wd the maintenace costs are too high.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Was that price based on having annual services? I looked at it for ours but the dealer said it's always based on longlife servicing and with the mileage our car does (5-6K yr) that would have meant the car having one service in 3yrs! At the time there was a 2yr fixed interval service deal for £149 so didn't push it and went for that.
I was told with my 2 service plan bought when new did not allow for long life service it must be yearly or less.

·
Registered
365 Posts
According to the drivers guide https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjHrbuCsY71AhWoQEEAHSnHBNYQFnoECAMQAQ&url=https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/content/dam/bluelabel/valid/www-vwfs-co-uk/documents/self-serve-documents/vw-self-serve-docs/VW%20FCM%20drivers%20guide.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0DkXlYNXfs9PI1vj1S0Iwg you should get all the stuff due at 3yrs covered.

It does highlight how someone seems to have messed up in your case though - as the car does more than 10K/yr it should be on longlife servicing. Even so, at 36K miles it would have been due for its second service bang on 3yrs so your total price is still unfeasibly low for a couple of services, a/c, sunroof, Haldex and brake fluid. And roadside. For all that plus an additional service it's bonkers. Maybe the dealer offset the cost with some other servicing offer.
I don't think anyone messed up. My car was never expected to do £10k miles per year so would never have been on longlife servicing (its not even done 11k in nearly 3 years). I should add that my previous car was a 2016 Mk2 Tig SEL and I had the same plan on that car and that price was £12.94 per month. It was because the plan was such good value on the first car that I asked for the same on the current car. If someone messed up, it was more than one person as I had two different salesman and even the finance guy (who sold these plans) had changed between cars.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've read the exclusions on my service plan and it does say the BFC is not included, but no mention of the Haldex oil change, which I had no idea was due at 3 years, the older systems gen4 and below were 20K miles, I must have seen this at some time and assumed this was the mileage for any oil change.
It used to be 40K on the Gen4 - which the dealer I used for the 3yr service, so 3yrs ago, was convinced it still was. However 18mths before that (so early 2017) VW changed the interval to 3yrs regardless of mileage.

All the dealers do is change the oil. People who know about these thngs say that's a complete waste of time. Wouldn't surprise me if the dealers don't actually even do it. There's a gauze screen on the pump (on both gen 4 & 5) that gets horrendously gummed up and the pump burns out. There's no warning this has happened until you notice the front wheels spinning in slippery conditions. Really the pump should be removed and that screen cleaned. Some enthusiastic drivers reckon ideally that should be done every 10K.

This is Gen 5:

Gas Font Auto part Machine Automotive tire

·
Registered
153 Posts

Not sure why VW have altered it as my car has less than 16K miles, doesn't seem much to require a oil change.
I've had 2 xtrails and 2 CX-5's all 4wd and none of them needed a oil change in the 4.5 years I had the xtrails 9 years total, and 5 years total for the cx-5's. And no oil change for the TC auto Mazda.

In conclusion the VW product is not for me as for a auto 4wd the maintenace costs are too high.
That's because the Haldex diff doesn't work the same way as a normal diff. Haldex Servicing - Why and When?

I've always avoided 4wd cars personally simpler and cheaper to buy winter tyres.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It used to be 40K on the Gen4 - which the dealer I used for the 3yr service, so 3yrs ago, was convinced it still was. However 18mths before that (so early 2017) VW changed the interval to 3yrs regardless of mileage.

All the dealers do is change the oil. People who know about these thngs say that's a complete waste of time. Wouldn't surprise me if the dealers don't actually even do it. There's a gauze screen on the pump (on both gen 4 & 5) that gets horrendously gummed up and the pump burns out. There's no warning this has happened until you notice the front wheels spinning in slippery conditions. Really the pump should be removed and that screen cleaned. Some enthusiastic drivers reckon ideally that should be done every 10K.

This is Gen 5:

View attachment 8729
These guys would beg to differ Haldex Servicing - Why and When?

Never heard any mechanic say an oil change is a waste of time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
These guys would beg to differ Haldex Servicing - Why and When?

Never heard any mechanic say an oil change is a waste of time.
That article says the same as I was saying - it's pretty pointless just changing the oil, as the dealers do. The pump needs to be removed and the stainer cleaned.

I note they also suggest 10K intervals too - if you followed that it really bumps up the servicing cost of a Haldex equipped car.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That article says the same as I was saying - it's pretty pointless just changing the oil, as the dealers do. The pump needs to be removed and the stainer cleaned.

I note they also suggest 10K intervals too - if you followed that it really bumps up the servicing cost of a Haldex equipped car.
Sorry, :) the way it read was that an oil change was a waste of time rather than ONLY changing the oil is a waste of time.
Yeah, techs would recommend changing the oil weekly if they thought people would pay for it. Never forget a master tech tearing his hair out with a customer complaining that the engine oil had gone black after being driven.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have experienced this rip off by the dealer! Have also requested to see the full service schedule for my Tiguan but to date I have not been shown it. The latest “con” I have been hit with is to have the sunroof serviced, drains cleaned. (£50) its another known problem with the pan. roof that the drains become blocked leading to the sun roof leaking inside the cab. I have also had the LP turbo linkage seize which landed me with another huge bill To have the Turbo replaced. VW really need to get their act together and include all these “extra’s” into a proper service schedule, one that is transparent and not made up!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts