Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I also have experienced this rip off by the dealer! Have also requested to see the full service schedule for my Tiguan but to date I have not been shown it. The latest “con” I have been hit with is to have the sunroof serviced, drains cleaned. (£50) its another known problem with the pan. roof that the drains become blocked leading to the sun roof leaking inside the cab. I have also had the LP turbo linkage seize which landed me with another huge bill To have the Turbo replaced. VW really need to get their act together and include all these “extra’s” into a proper service schedule, one that is transparent and not made up!
Are you saying the clearing of the sunroof drains should be provided free of charge?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So I've had time to consider my options now out of warranty, and today had the haldex oil changed along with the brake fluid at VW fixed pricing so £148 for both, dealer did try to charge over £100 for the haldex oil change until I pointed out the vw pricing.

And I can confirm that they don't remove the pump to clean the strainer, because I asked for photos of the strainer.

I did get a pointless repeat video of the tyres being checked ect that was carried out during my recent service, but really its also for the eligibilty check as I've priced up other warranty options and the VWFS all-in plan is better value IMO.

I've not took the plan out yet as my current warranty runs out on the 15th, but found a couple of useful PFD's that might be useful, and they clearly show what the service covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
Correct. That's why I went to an independent specifically to get the strainer cleaned of gunk.

I asked for photos two weeks ago...here were the before and after shots out of interest.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Bicycle part Engineering

Gas Auto part Machine Nickel Metal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you saying the clearing of the sunroof drains should be provided free of charge?
If its a known problem and causes issues then I consider it should be incorporated into the service schedule. I come from an aviation background and when ever a potential problem arises it gets incorporated into the service/maintenance schedule! Not rocket scienc…

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Correct. That's why I went to an independent specifically to get the strainer cleaned of gunk.

I asked for photos two weeks ago...here were the before and after shots out of interest. View attachment 8748
View attachment 8747
Yes I'd seen pictures previously which is why I specifically asked for photos.
VW servicing is a joke IMO but I needed it for the warranty I want to take out.

·
Registered
743 Posts

I asked for photos two weeks ago...here were the before and after shots out of interest.
FWIW - that Haldex service was conducted at ~28k miles / 44k kms. Can you imagine what that would look like if you waited until the advised 40k miles as per VW?

That is why most independents recommend it done at 20k miles....I was already stretching the friendship so to speak, but wanted it done during this winter so that I would have no issues esp before we start seeing any snow this winter.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've just had an early 3 year service & inspection at Lookers Hersham £184 basically an oil change and an inspectiion. Asked about the All in service for when it's 3 yrs old in February and they said they will do all the necessary when it's in for it's first MOT so booked it for the exact date so as to take out the All in One at the same time. They suggested that the brake fluid is changed as well and I decided to do that with this service for £69. All good so far.
Got the health report back and one rear tyre (4mm) had two punctures in irrepairable places and the other had a big chunk of metal in it (4mm also and they took out the metal) so now had 2 x tyres replaced. HOWEVER!!!
also on the health check was the advisory to replace the Haldex oil at a cost of £255 😲 so I checked with other dealers and Inchape VW want £79 as do Citygate VW. When I queried this price, Lookers said that it hadn't been £79 for a while and stated "they could do something for me". They reckoned £129. I thought VW set the prices as all their other charges were exactly the same as everywhere else. So needless to say, that's the last custom of mine they will be seeing as this was the third issue I've had with them.

·
Registered
743 Posts
HOWEVER!!!
also on the health check was the advisory to replace the Haldex oil at a cost of £255 😲 so I checked with other dealers and Inchape VW want £79 as do Citygate VW. When I queried this price, Lookers said that it hadn't been £79 for a while and stated "they could do something for me". They reckoned £129. I thought VW set the prices as all their other charges were exactly the same as everywhere else. So needless to say, that's the last custom of mine they will be seeing as this was the third issue I've had with them.
The indie I went to said the haldex oil alone costs them 50quid. The balance then is effectively their labour and vat. So it's up to you what you think the lookers labour is worth. It basically takes 30mins to an hour as I understand it ....quite straight forward.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I thought VW set the prices as all their other charges were exactly the same as everywhere else.
That would be a cartel. I think they originally quoted you the DSG price - it seems incredible but my dealer got them confused and so did VW UK when I contacted them. On a lift it's a very simple job to just change the oil - wouldn't surprise me if if it's often not done.

I've noticed many of the fixed price jobs have gone from the VW website now. Cambelt is still listed but it's now £669 for the belt only - had mine and water pump done for £499 only 18mths ago and it's not many years ago that VW used to advertise £299 for cambelt and £50 more for the pump.

Maybe this is one of the reasons they're pushing All In - gives them an opportunity to "up-sell" extremely lucrative work, and I don't think you can refuse the Haldex 3yr change if you want to take All In.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've just had an early 3 year service & inspection at Lookers Hersham £184 basically an oil change and an inspectiion. Asked about the All in service for when it's 3 yrs old in February and they said they will do all the necessary when it's in for it's first MOT so booked it for the exact date so as to take out the All in One at the same time. They suggested that the brake fluid is changed as well and I decided to do that with this service for £69. All good so far.
Got the health report back and one rear tyre (4mm) had two punctures in irrepairable places and the other had a big chunk of metal in it (4mm also and they took out the metal) so now had 2 x tyres replaced. HOWEVER!!!
I paid £79 for Haldex oil change at my local Arnold Clark V W dealership last week.I’d already seen that ‘fixed price’ on the VW site. Trust me …. if any company is likely to rip you off for unnecessary charges ….. it’s Arnold Clark ! I made sure I got the quote in writing before I went ahead with it.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts