Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm going to buy a Tiguan, but I have some doubts about the headlights.
Anyone has the basic led headlights? I would like to know if they are good enought, or if the dynamic light is the one to go for.

Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
pedroamg said:
Hi,
I'm going to buy a Tiguan, but I have some doubts about the headlights.
Anyone has the basic led headlights? I would like to know if they are good enought, or if the dynamic light is the one to go for.

Thanks
I can not give you a comparison comment but I can say having the dynamic lights that they are great and I would not go without them on any future cars. The light extensively lights up the road ahead and only reduce the light on the side of oncoming traffic when necessary keeping the the other side well lit. They also bend the light when cornering, very useful on country roads etc. Only down fall is the bright light bounces back off of thick fog more so than halogen lights which is probably why the fog lights are halogen and not LED. I believe VW have a video on their website that demonstrates the dynamic lights abilities but you can only access it via Mein Auto Portal which you need to register with your car number to gain access.

They are described by VW as follows:

Dynamic Light Assist optimises illumination of the carriageway for even greater safety on the road.

The system with variable road illumination allows the main beam to be left on continuously without dazzling oncoming traffic. This is possible thanks to a masking function which can partially dip the main-beam headlights. The information on other road users and the street lighting is captured by a camera on the interior mirror and relayed to the Dynamic Light Assist system. This significantly improves illumination of the entire carriageway.

Dynamic Light Assist produces a brand new lighting sensation that is always perfectly tailored to the traffic situation.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This may-be of help for you 'pedroamg'........to give you an idea. Iwouldn't be without it now..it's brill :)

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
stumpy said:
This may-be of help for you 'pedroamg'........to give you an idea. Iwouldn't be without it now..it's brill :)
Nice video find Stumpy, "a video is worth a thousand words". ;)

Steve

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thing is, here in the UK we only get two versions of headlights: halogen H7 headlights (for S, SE and SE Nav trims) and full LED headlights i.e. LED headlights with LED daytime running lights, 14 separate LED lights which perform the indicator function and dynamic curve (for SEL and R-Line trims).

However our continental and Irish colleagues with their three trims (Trendline, Comfotrline and Highline) seem not to get full dynamic LED lights as standard. Highline trim gets only what is described as 'LED headlamps' and dynamic LED headlights are optional (eg. additionall 883 euro in Ireland).

This has already been discussed here

·
Registered
446 Posts
Frustrating why different but very similar countries get different specs. It's a shame a car at this price point does not come with xenons as standard (on S, SE models) and an option for LED upgrade. Every AUDI Q3 gets xenons as standard, halogen lights date the car and surely most people's priority for a car like this (but the optiona LED lights are too pricey to add as an option).

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Essjay said:
stumpy said:
Nice video find Stumpy, "a video is worth a thousand words". ;)

Steve
Thanks Steve ;) :D :D + a thumbs up :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please note that in case of two LED headlight options they also have different power output. The basic ones should have significantly less lumens than the so called 'high' ones with dyn. cornering lights, DLA and washers.
VW policy has been throughout the model range that either halogens or Xenons. I first also had an issue, when looking at the cost of full LED's that why do not they have Xenons as basic, it was claimed to be VW policy to not to offer "high energy consumption Xenons" as an alternative or basic. Anyways after trying out the high-power LED's I had no issue with opting for them. Especially as in case of Tiguan the pricing is MUCH friendlier than in case of Passat/Alltrack. But I do admit that occasionally I do have issues with VW's pricing/options policy...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts