Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, have question regarding heating controls (SE TDI) pressing Menu on the heater control brings up display in radio. On the settings menu there is option to switch auto air recirc on or off, there is also option for auto supplementary heater ?? Looked in manual and cant seem to get to the bottom of this , appreciate any comments, Thanks in advance

·
Registered
610 Posts
" auto supplementary heater" could this have anything to do with the winter pack rear heated seats or possibly have something to do to the heated front screen which is available in some countries ?? I'm just saying that with out first looking at my set up, but just a thought ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi , My 150S TDi also has an option for supplementary heater in the menu. Checkbox has a tick but it can't be un-ticked. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe pre-heater for the fuel?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies, I don't have winter pack or heated front screen - intriguing - must admit didn't try to uncheck mine

·
Registered
953 Posts
Not sure if the supplimenty heaters on the petrol but it's put on the TDI because the engine is very slow to heat up and you'd be sat on your drive for a long time waiting for the car cabine to get warm

·
Registered
328 Posts
Miket said:
Not sure if the supplimenty heaters on the petrol but it's put on the TDI because the engine is very slow to heat up and you'd be sat on your drive for a long time waiting for the car to get warm
That's what I assumed it was. Our TDi SEAT Alhambra, that the Tiggy will replace once it arrives, has a similar set-up. As far as I'm aware it's a diesel powered heater to warm the cabin space. Don't think it works any more TBH, common for it to fail in advanced years ISTR.

Our TDi Golf, low spec non climate control but with rudimentary air-con, has electrically powered elements in the heating ducts that come on if you whack the heater control to MAX for exactly the same reason.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Chas said:
Miket said:
Not sure if the supplimenty heaters on the petrol but it's put on the TDI because the engine is very slow to heat up and you'd be sat on your drive for a long time waiting for the car to get warm
That's what I assumed it was. Our TDi SEAT Alhambra, that the Tiggy will replace once it arrives, has a similar set-up. As far as I'm aware it's a diesel powered heater to warm the cabin space. Don't think it works any more TBH, common for it to fail in advanced years ISTR.

Our TDi Golf, low spec non climate control but with rudimentary air-con, has electrically powered elements in the heating ducts that come on if you whack the heater control to MAX for exactly the same reason.
Right, good call. I just re-checked the setting in the menu it now can be unchecked. Maybe permanently enabled so you can't uncheck the checkbox if outside temp is below a certain temp.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again thanks everyone for posting on this - nice if the manual had detailed information Cheers

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts
I think there seems to be some confusion here re: the 'Supplementary or Auxiliary Heating System".
This has been mentioned in a previous thread, but I can't find it at the moment, so I'll attempt to explain again.

The Auxiliary heater is not available on UK models, but is available (at cost) in various 'Scandiwegian' and other colder climates.
Basically it's a seperate heating system that runs off the cars fuel system, and can be run with the car either moving or stationary. It's operated by a button (indicated in the photo), however, on UK models this button is labelled "Rest", which can be used if you stop the car after a run (to go shopping perhaps), and will circulate the residual heat from the engine around the cabin for around 30 minutes or so allowing you to return to a warm car.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for clarification Essjay

·
Registered
610 Posts
Nice Essjay I will now have to wait to next winter to try it :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have tried the Rest button on my car after parking a few times and found the temperature drops off after one minute. In fact if I am sitting in the car it feels drafty after a couple of minutes. Does the UK Tiguan have an electric pump to circulate the water?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think it all needs some clarification as people here seem not to bother with reading Tig manual or read info that's been posted here. ;)

1. REST button is just mere residual heating/cooling that will be working for UP to 30 min. But obviously not being perpetum mobile it will not able to keep warm 22C inside the car for half an hour when there is 0C outside or nice cool 21C inside when you enjoying your Spanish trip with 30C outside.

2. Supplementary heater (and relevant tick box in the HVAC menu) is, what i believe, electric heater that helps warm car interior quicker. The diesel engine has the highest thermal efficiency (engine efficiency) of any practical internal or external combustion engine due to its very high expansion ratio and inherent lean burn which enables heat dissipation by the excess air. That's why, especially during winter, it would take a very long time (let's say 15-20 min) for the engine to warm up and provide warm air for passengers.

3. Auxillary heater is Webasto type heater that uses car's fuel and warms up car interior independently, so there's no need for car engine to be running. This has been already explained by Essjay earlier. Below is the YT video showing how it works:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts