Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright All,

Great to see this site / community exists - I came off all social last year, but always relied on the FB Groups with my previous A3, TT and Golf.

My partner and I are picking up a 66 plate SEL 2.0 TSI 4Motion tomorrow - really excited - so I figured I'd get signed up here and ready for the inevitable million questions.

On that, my first concern - which I can't see any concrete argument for - is the whole E10 vs Super Unleaded issue. I noticed when we drove the Tiguan, that the fuel lid stated "Premium Unleaded" - which given the current economical climate, as well as our personal budget, is not feasible (if it means it should only take Super Unleaded). So, in short, my question is: Is E10 ok to use, or are we making the wrong decision picking up a car we can't afford to fill up?

Any advice - ideally backed up with some real life evidence - would be appreciated! ;)

-Tom

Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Car Automotive parking light

·
Registered
R Line Tech 1.5tsi dsg in Deep Pearl Black
113 Posts
Alright All,

Great to see this site / community exists - I came off all social last year, but always relied on the FB Groups with my previous A3, TT and Golf.

My partner and I are picking up a 66 plate SEL 2.0 TSI 4Motion tomorrow - really excited - so I figured I'd get signed up here and ready for the inevitable million questions.

On that, my first concern - which I can't see any concrete argument for - is the whole E10 vs Super Unleaded issue. I noticed when we drove the Tiguan, that the fuel lid stated "Premium Unleaded" - which given the current economical climate, as well as our personal budget, is not feasible (if it means it should only take Super Unleaded). So, in short, my question is: Is E10 ok to use, or are we making the wrong decision picking up a car we can't afford to fill up?

Any advice - ideally backed up with some real life evidence - would be appreciated! ;)

-Tom

View attachment 9493
Hello and welcome and the SEL is a very nice spec,
Someone else asked a similar question in another thread, personally and it’s just my opinion that you should use E10 not E5 as you don‘t have a performance engine like the Tiguan R has, others on this site I believe have stated you do get a better MPG return using E5 but I guess at a higher cost, so really the choice is yours and you do imply you do have a budget to stick to,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome and the SEL is a very nice spec,
Someone else asked a similar question in another thread, personally and it’s just my opinion that you should use E10 not E5 as you don‘t have a performance engine like the Tiguan R has, others on this site I believe have stated you do get a better MPG return using E5 but I guess at a higher cost, so really the choice is yours and you do imply you do have a budget to stick to,
Cheers Steve! I'll scour out the local petrol stations and see what they're all running / offering. I can't be sure, but I don't think there's much between Unleaded and Super Unleaded at the moment? One upside of fuel inflation perhaps? Either way, your message is reassuring, so thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There’s an app called PetrolPrices I’ve got it and you can set it up so it shows the prices local to you and the best prices ect. Has helped me out, does all depend on how upto date people in your area are though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cheers Steve! I'll scour out the local petrol stations and see what they're all running / offering. I can't be sure, but I don't think there's much between Unleaded and Super Unleaded at the moment? One upside of fuel inflation perhaps? Either way, your message is reassuring, so thank you.
Your welcome, ASDA has reduced their prices right now so that will help, the local garages here in Bristol have their E5 Super unleaded at least 10p a litre more that E10

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts
The owners manual for the petrol Tiguan 2017-2018 model year clearly states you can use up to a 10% ethanol content so E10 is fine:

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

·
Registered
426 Posts
With E10, I noticed a slight drop in performance/responsiveness and also a small drop in mpg (maybe 3 - 4mpg) over unleaded E5, but the differences were marginal. However, I have started using Shell V-Power which is E5 (super-unleaded). Not only has the performance and mpg returned, but may even be slightly better (but again, very marginal if it has improved).

Whether this performance/mpg difference between unleaded and super-unleaded is big enough to make up for the price difference between them is not clear but at the very least, it goes some way. Fuels like Shell V-Power (also BP Ultimate - not sure about other super-unleaded fuels) are supposed to contain better detergents to help keep injectors etc clean so perhaps an added bonus?

I don't do a lot of mileage and so for me, the price difference only amounts to a few pounds a week between the two fuels. I might take a different view if I did a lot of miles especially in the current climate.

As to E10, I did run my car on E10 for a few months last year with no problems otherwise.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
As others have said E10 is recommended. This is interpretations about what regular, premium, super etc mean in different countries. But the label ought to say E5 (based on when it was built there wasn't E10) which is 95 octane. The higher 98 octane is only really needed in high performance engines.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As others have said E10 is recommended. This is interpretations about what regular, premium, super etc mean in different countries. But the label ought to say E5 (based on when it was built there wasn't E10) which is 95 octane. The higher 98 octane is only really needed in high performance engines.
Yes I agree with that as I previously mentioned the engine in the R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts