Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just ordered (Saturday) a TSi SEL in....drum roll please....Indium Grey (dealer said most popular colour by some margin). Yep, common as muck. Bit like me ;) Waiting for a hint on delivery but not in a massive hurry. Car will replace our ageing XC90 - it's the old T6 petrol so could keep Saudi in petrol cash all on it's own. Kids grown up, mostly, so don't need The Beast any longer. Mrs J wanted to stay with a 4x4 - we still have 1 at Uni and 1 still to go, so she feels happier with the extra security from having a 4x4 (I told her it's tyres that make most difference, but hey ho) and the higher driving position.

Also have a 72 Beetle that I am just about to restore, so we'll be all VDubbed up soon.

This site has been pretty useful so far. Plenty of hints on what to look out for and I also like the 'what we don't like' thread - maybe someone should collect it all up and send to VW. Thanks to all the contributors!

Cheers

Kevin

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As my daughter would state: OMG! OMG! OMG!

Car flipped this morning to "In transit" on the app. Very exciting. Saw one in Indium on the road on Saturday, going to be a happy chap in a few weeks time, can't wait.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Can't wait to see the pics, once she arrives KJ4x4.... :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hopefully mine is just behind yours in the queue - still saying 'Your order has been confirmed for build week commencing 13/03/2017' at the moment!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Negativepitch said:
KJ4x4 said:
Also have a 72 Beetle that I am just about to restore, so we'll be all VDubbed up soon.
Cheers

Kevin
Are you going for a full nut and bolt resto? show and shine, cal look or general road use etc :)
Thanks NP, I am stripping it down at the moment. Whatever comes off, gets cleaned/de-rusted/painted, etc and re-used where possible. I had planned for a rolling resto, but clearing the rust is going to take some time and effort. Chassis is mostly OK - some patch repairs need re-doing properly, engine and running gear are fine. Body - 1 heater channel, 1 a pillar top and bottom, 1 a pillar bottom, 1 corner of front clip, the top edges of both front quarters, both rear quarters and body mounts, corners of rear bulkhead, and sort out patch repair to front that has been welded to body and chassis :oops: . And that's just the stuff I know about! Will also replace fuel lines and brake lines, stuff like that. The look will be standard-ish, but lowered slightly and on Empi 8s for now. I am going to do as much as I can myself, but it's a driveway project so I don't think it's going to win any prizes.

Should keep me out of trouble for a while.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
robertbeavan1971 said:
Hopefully mine is just behind yours in the queue - still saying 'Your order has been confirmed for build week commencing 13/03/2017' at the moment!
Fingers crossed. I was half expecting mine to be the last one off the line this week - I have no patience - but was happy to see the status change this morning. Hope you don't have to wait very much longer for yours to be on it's way.

Cheers

Kevin

·
Registered
835 Posts
KJ4x4 said:
Negativepitch said:
KJ4x4 said:
Cheers

Kevin
Are you going for a full nut and bolt resto? show and shine, cal look or general road use etc :)
Thanks NP, I am stripping it down at the moment. Whatever comes off, gets cleaned/de-rusted/painted, etc and re-used where possible. I had planned for a rolling resto, but clearing the rust is going to take some time and effort. Chassis is mostly OK - some patch repairs need re-doing properly, engine and running gear are fine. Body - 1 heater channel, 1 a pillar top and bottom, 1 a pillar bottom, 1 corner of front clip, the top edges of both front quarters, both rear quarters and body mounts, corners of rear bulkhead, and sort out patch repair to front that has been welded to body and chassis :oops: . And that's just the stuff I know about! Will also replace fuel lines and brake lines, stuff like that. The look will be standard-ish, but lowered slightly and on Empi 8s for now. I am going to do as much as I can myself, but it's a driveway project so I don't think it's going to win any prizes.

Should keep me out of trouble for a while.
Doesnt sound to bad then :D
As with all projects, they are never truly finished. I have just finished replacing the fuel lines on the buggy, just need to change the oil, replace brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid.
Are you on any aircooled forums?
http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/Funkydad/library/HAVE%20BLUE?sort=9&page=1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Negativepitch said:
Doesnt sound to bad then :D
As with all projects, they are never truly finished. I have just finished replacing the fuel lines on the buggy, just need to change the oil, replace brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid.
Are you on any aircooled forums?
http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/Funkydad/library/HAVE%20BLUE?sort=9&page=1
Ha! Like me, the eternal optimist :) Only on VZi and a few Facebook groups, still plenty to learn but I like to get stuck in on a challenge, whether I know what I am doing or not.

Cheers

Kevin

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Negativepitch said:
Im Funkydad on vzi. :D
I'm Fuchs915, will look you up. Also, all the best for the new car search, you've been through the wringer with VW. Hope the next experience is much less painful.

Car is now at Emden, hopefully elbowing it's way to the front of the queue to get the earliest available boat :cool: I'm guessing we'll be collecting the car mid-April. Getting closer... :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This morning the VW app updated to "Arrived in the UK" - getting very excited (and impatient!!). Contacting the dealer later to see when they think she'll be ready for collection, but I doubt they'll say tomorrow :( :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congrats - exciting times!
Hoping to pick mine up on Saturday, just having a 'discussion' with the dealership re the VED rate changes!! :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
robertbeavan1971 said:
Hoping to pick mine up on Saturday, just having a 'discussion' with the dealership re the VED rate changes!! :eek:
Nice one Robert, good luck. Dealer rang this morning to say car is with them, hoping to get it all finalised before close of business Friday. All I need to do now is sell the Volvo so I have enough room for the Tig :shock: Nearly there!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KJ4x4 said:
robertbeavan1971 said:
Nice one Robert, good luck. Dealer rang this morning to say car is with them, hoping to get it all finalised before close of business Friday. All I need to do now is sell the Volvo so I have enough room for the Tig :shock: Nearly there!
Bow chicka wow wow!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

Good drive home, plenty of set up and tech to learn about. Very happy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
robertbeavan1971 said:
Is the dealer trying to charge you more?

·
Registered
551 Posts
KJ4x4 said:
KJ4x4 said:
robertbeavan1971 said:
Bow chicka wow wow!
IMG_3638.jpg

Good drive home, plenty of set up and tech to learn about. Very happy!!
Looks good - great colour choice :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Hartside,
Dealer charged me £300 on the original paperwork, in the full knowledge the delivery was always due in April, when the first years VED goes up to £500. I've been waiting for him to ask me for another £200... he mailed me earlier this week saying I 'needed' to come in and sign the paperwork, but I've been away on business so couldn't go in. So now expecting to collect on 8th, but in the meantime I think he's realised the error and don't think (hoping!) I will have to pay extra £200 as I have a mail which specifically states that he 1st years VED is paid :)
Does seem a slightly weird date to introduce VED changes, as its not in-line with the two existing registration dates we have here in the UK....

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hi robertbeavan1971, it might be an idea to have a read through the T&C's, which you should have been given when you ordered.
I checked mine and here's an interesting bit (check item no.5).

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Essjay,

Yes, absolutely, in the 'small print' it does say something similar, but the changes to VED were published way before I ordered, so I'd like to think that if I protest a bit and refer them to the e-mail in which I specifically asked them the question. they will back down. ;)
I gave them plenty of opportunity to check the tax and after all, if I knew about the upcoming changes, you'd hope they would too.
Time will tell :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts