Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Im doing research ahead of a likely change to a Tiguan sometime in 2017

I've had a vast variety of VW and Audi over the years, and currently have a Mk7 Golf GTD 6 speed in red (company car) and an Audi A6 Avant S-Line S-Tronic in pearl grey (our own car). We don't really need such a big estate with just my wife and I, but it's a great car for ferrying our large(ish) labrador around :D

The A6 is 3 years old in May. It's well equipped, the 190 TDI engine is smooth, but my wife wants something with a little more ground clearance for when taking the dog out into the countryside, but a full blown 4x4 is not needed. I'm also not that impressed with residual values on the A6 as the dealers have been offering big discounts in the last couple of years , with the result that there will likely be little or no equity left in the car by the time we change.

The new Tiguan ticks a lot of boxes for us, as I really like my Golf GTD and the tech of the latest MQB models. 4WD is not essential, but my wife really prefers automatics (and avoids my GTD), plus the increased space and capacity compared to the Mk1 Tiguan is useful...plus we both think it looks really smart

Rather than go PCP again (as residuals on the A6 have been worse than I thought), I'm going to do down the route of personal contract hire via my company car scheme providers who also offer private leases over 2, 3 and 4 years with no up-front deposit needed

What I'm thinking of ordering, at just over £400 p/m payment over 3 years is:

• Tiguan SEL
    TDI 150, DSG, 2WD
    Standard 19" Victoria wheels
    Pure White (fed up of grey and silver but flexible on colour otherwise)
    Keyless entry/electric tailgate (useful with the dog)
    Discover Nav & App Connect (I have the older Pro model in my Golf...not that impressed with the lack of connectivity in the early MIB1 units)
    Black Ergo Active seats (used to have a Volkswagen CC with heated/ventilated/massage seats...that was brilliant!)
    Park assist
    Heated steering wheel (A6 has one...really good in the cold mornings)
    Heated windscreen (if it can be specced)

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you are changing from a 190 A6 you seriously need to consider the 190 Tig. You may regret dropping down to a 150 ps, I know I would.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm changing from a Q5 S-Line Special Edition 2.0 TFSI (211) to a Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI (180). I had a test drive of an R-Line 2.0 TSI and I was pleasantly surprised that the car seemed to perform as well as the Q5. I checked the specs of both cars to find that the Tig was 7.7 seconds to 62mph while the Q5 only shaves 0.1 seconds taking 7.6 seconds :eek: .

The Tig is almost 5mpg more frugal on the combined mpg specs than my Q5, but its top line speed is only 130mph compared to the Q5's 138mph - I supposed I'll just need to console myself with the lower insurance group (21 v 28) :D .

The Tig test drive also confirmed that the car feels just as big as my Q5 even though its on the smaller chassis. I was impressed with the test drive of the Tig. As I commented elsewhere I've gone with the SEL rather then the R-Line because I want to fit mud flaps and have the Outdoor Pack (my last few cars have been S-Line models which don't have mud flap options and I'm fed up with the road grime particularly in winter :oops: )

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - I like the idea of the SEL rather than the R-Line for the outdoor pack- haven't seen detailed pics of the difference between the normal and outdoor bumpers, but it could be a worthwhile addition if my wife decides to venture further into muddy, bumpy forest access roads.

For 0-60, the Tiguan 150 is listed as 9.3, the A6 is 8.5 and the Tiguan 190 is 7.9 - I'd need a proper test drive to see how the 150 is in real life

Perhaps I'm just getting old :lol: ...years of various GTI, Audi S and RS models have spoilt me for outright speed and I'm kinda relaxed that neither my GTD or the likely Tiguan don't set the road alight like my previous cars

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a SEL 190 TDI with off road pack. I needed it as I go off road a fair bit while fishing and its brilliant. I also think it looks better than the standard so would thoroughly recommend it. I came from a 3 year old A4 allroad TDI which probably had the same engine as your A6. I tried the TDI 150 but found it slow to respond in comparison to the Audi but am delighted with the 190 which is noticeably quicker but has much better MPG.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts