Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I live in Essex and am just about to order a Tiguan. Went to VW Southend today to have a look round one up close and personal. They look very good and Mrs J likes them too. We don't do many miles (uni runs, weekends and holidays) so we are looking at the TSi engined SEL. Question 1 is whether DSG or manual. We have an ageing XC90 auto at the moment, which will go as P/Ex if we go PCP, or WBAC if we go for a lease. We needed the auto as Mrs J had a bad back a few years ago, however that is better now. Is the DSG worth the extra? Question 2 is whether the leather seats are heated/electrically adjusted. I can't seem to find anything definitive in the VW information.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received. Just need to choose the colour and have a think about finalising the options :D

Cheers

Kevin

·
Registered
66 Posts
KJ4x4 said:
Hello all. I live in Essex and am just about to order a Tiguan. Went to VW Southend today to have a look round one up close and personal. They look very good and Mrs J likes them too. We don't do many miles (uni runs, weekends and holidays) so we are looking at the TSi engined SEL. Question 1 is whether DSG or manual. We have an ageing XC90 auto at the moment, which will go as P/Ex if we go PCP, or WBAC if we go for a lease. We needed the auto as Mrs J had a bad back a few years ago, however that is better now. Is the DSG worth the extra? Question 2 is whether the leather seats are heated/electrically adjusted. I can't seem to find anything definitive in the VW information.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received. Just need to choose the colour and have a think about finalising the options :D

Cheers

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I also live in Essex and am awaiting delivery of my Tiguan SE Nav, I have gone for the 1.4TSI BMT with a manual box as I know the engine (I have a Seat Leon FR at the moment), I noticed that you were considering a lease? If so I would suggest that you look at What Car Leasing who tend to have main dealers linked to their Website or Contract Hire and Leasing who have a mixture of both main dealers and brokers. If you want the DSG box then you only have the option of the 2.0TSI engine with 180PS or various TDI engines which given you don't do many miles would not suit you. I went to Inchcape to look at the Tiguan but couldn't speak to anybody on the Fleet Sales who deals with leases on the day that I was there so ended up going with a dealer in Ashford in Kent who beat all the other deals at the time and so far has been excellent and as it's a factory build has kept me informed all the way.

Ray

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome from another Essex Tiguan driver. I have a SEL 190 TDI DSG. I had never had an auto before and really didn't want one but it was the only option on both TDI 190 and TSI 180 when I ordered. After 5 months and 10,000 miles I now love it and wouldn't be without it. It is so responsive and you get ACC as standard on SEL which you obviously can't have on a manual. Given I do a lot of long journeys this is the best innovation ever for me. I am totally sold on DSG now. Mind you had a 180 TSI been practical for me now that is available in manual I would be tempted.
I can't help re leather seats as I have the cloth Ergo ones which I love. They are heated and have electric lumbar support as standard but not full electric adjustment. I seem to remember reading on forum that leather seats didn't have electric lumbar support but I am sure someone with them will advise.
All in all you won't be disappointed especially with an SEL which has such a range of goodies.

·
Registered
352 Posts
salmonfisher said:
and you get ACC as standard on SEL which you obviously can't have on a manual.
On SEL and R-Line Adaptive Cruise Control is standard on a manual as well...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Surely ACC with DSG is the best combination but as I don't have ACC let me quote what I found on the Golf forum:

The warning comes up even before the motor starts to labour/stall. I suspect the system is able to predict the engine revs relative to the vehicle speed it needs to match in order to prevent a crash. If the predicted revs will be too low given your current gear+required vehicle speed, it gives the warning. If the revs will be fine eg because the required vehicle speed will still be high or because you've already been dropping down gears, it carries on its business with no problems. Ultimately though, if traffic is coming to a standstill, it will always give the warning as the revs will eventually drop too low for the engine to keep running (even in first gear). This is where the DSG trumps the manual since it is capable of disengaging drive to the wheels automatically.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for that I hadn't realised - always learning on this forum.
However I agree it's a second best. My record is 150 miles on M6 without using accelerator or brakes - not sure a manual with ACC would manage that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Vienna Leather on the SEL includes heated front seats, and as stated in the price/specification brochure "driver's seat with electric 12-way adjustment (in lieu of driver's under seat drawer) and electrically adjustable lumbar support. Passenger's seat with manual lumbar support. Including heated windscreen washer jets"

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure if the electric adjustment on the Vienna Leather seats is linked to a memory feature, I had thought not but elsewhere on the forum I read something which suggested that there is a memory function - perhaps someone can confirm one way or the other.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
billc47 said:
Not sure if the electric adjustment on the Vienna Leather seats is linked to a memory feature, I had thought not but elsewhere on the forum I read something which suggested that there is a memory function - perhaps someone can confirm one way or the other.
Yes, I can confirm that the Vienna leather has a 3 position memory each with 12 way adjustment. And to answer a previous question, heated as well.

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
And not forgetting the 3 memory electric leather seats can be set to the individual driver profile and door mirror (offside & nearside) positioning set to your own personal key.....really good option if you are swapping & changing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback, very helpful. It's also helpful to review everyone's car specs at the bottom of their posts, making me think about a few bits.

Cheers all. Updates to follow as the ordering process moves forward.

Kevin

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Kevin

I have a Mk1 R Line with DSG and my company Passat has it and I have to say it is a joy to have. I tow a large caravan with the R Line and it makes life so easy. My Passat has done 60000 miles and the DSG hasn't missed a beat. It really comes into its own when stuck in motorway traffic jams which seem to be getting worse.

As for the leather seats I have them in the Tig and the only issue I have is in the summer when driving with shorts on and the back of my legs sweat so I stick a towel under them. In the winter the seat warmer function is really nice and warms up quickly.

I would advise you to get your order in asap as delivery times are getting longer every day..

Hope this helps in your decision process

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Stumpy

I didn't realise the seat memory function also adjusted the door mirrors so thanks for the info. When I finally get mine I can have a good play around with it.

Cheers Tim

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Timbo said:
Hi Stumpy

I didn't realise the seat memory function also adjusted the door mirrors so thanks for the info. When I finally get mine I can have a good play around with it.

Cheers Tim
;) :) :D look forward to the pics Timbo

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all, did the deed on Saturday. 2.0 TSi SEL, Indium Grey, park assist, Vienna storm grey interior. Est 12-16 weeks.

Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts