Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Will be purchasing either a new or nearly new Tiguan in the next month or so and would love some advice and opinions re spec please, as I know virtually nothing about VW. I'm coming from an Audi S5 Cabriolet, 3L V6, with every conceivable optional extra, but want to purchase the Tiguan with my head rather than my heart! I need a car that is cheaper to run and doesn't cry when it sees a very small pothole.

Definitely going for an Auto DSG, diesel, leather interior. Colour either Atlantic Blue, Iridium Grey or Habanero Orange. Either SEL or R-Line but likely SEL as I want the option of a heated steering wheel, and tyres will be cheaper for 19" rather than 20s.

So, in no particular order;

150 Vs 190? Pros / cons? Is the power difference really noticeable? I'm aware any Tiguan is going to be slower than my current car, but that's fine.
2WD Vs 4WD pros / cons?

If I go for new, my 'essential' spec list would be;
Leather
360 parking cameras
Heated steering wheel
Electric tailgate
Tyre pressure monitor

Any other 'must have' options I should consider (I realise this is all personal preference but there may be options I really should consider)?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
In my opinion the SEL spec offers all that the RLine does and the upgrade to RLine only gives cosmetic changes to steering wheel, painted lower body plastics and the change to 20 inch wheels.
You may be lucky- as I was- in finding the spec you want nearly new- but it is probable that you will have to order it, with the long wait it entails.
I love diesel engines, and the 150 is perfectly good for my needs- paired with the 4Motion drive. You may well prefer the increased power from the 190- but a test drive is the only way to tell if it suits you. For maximum power- the 240 petrol would be the way to go, but I have no experience of the petrol engines in the Tiguan.
Good luck with your search- and a warm welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
261 Posts
150 4 motion SEL, No extras, you will never see any return on them.
I'd suggest a lighter colour as they highlight the sharp lines of the body.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree entirely with Yetirider OT76, mine is the as it came from the factory with no optional extras...my experience in the past is that the more options you spec you get pretty much the same back as a base spec model (I learnt with my GTI PERFORMANCE...that had every option going on it and the dealership I bought it from warned me prior to ordering the return wouldn't be much more than what the base model would be. I'm sure other forum members will tell you it's all about personal preference and that I agree with entirely however the SEL is well equipped in the first place and if I'm being honest I'd have got the electric tailgate and rear camera if I could have, but really was it a necessity, definitely not, I can live without something else just to go wrong! As Yetirider has said, go for a lighter colour for the same reason. All the best, Jonathan

P.S the 150 is perfectly fine with the 4motion and DSG box.

·
Registered
463 Posts
For me the extras are for you to enjoy not wanting an increase in resale. The Dynaudio is a must.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies so far.

I'm not concerned in the least about getting any return on optional extras. The extras are to add to my enjoyment of using and driving the car. Totally personal preference, I know :) My current Audi S5 cabriolet has over £11k of optional extras and I know it has made me enjoy the car more than if it was standard spec.

Im trying to be more 'head over heart' with this car, but still love my gadgets. Trying to find the right balance!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely going to add the nav pro. Having read on this forum that you can't view the map in both main screen and instrument cluster at the same time seems crazy ...

·
Registered
555 Posts
OT76 said:
Definitely going to add the nav pro. Having read on this forum that you can't view the map in both main screen and instrument cluster at the same time seems crazy ...
Don't take me the wrong way, but why would you want to? It wasn't worth the extra money to me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hartside said:
OT76 said:
Don't take me the wrong way, but why would you want to? It wasn't worth the extra money to me
I know it would frustrate me not having the map on both screens as this is something I'm used to having on my husband's car. Also has a hard drive which I use all the time on my Audi. Test driving a Tiguan R-line this afternoon so I'll have a good play with the (standard) nav and see if they've got a car with the pro fitted so I can assess properly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In my opinion 190 all the way. Especially if dsg as 150 not powerful enough and you will get bored. 19 inch alloys dont look great (the design) in my opinion... that is what put me off the SEL.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just a token shout out for saving money.
-The Tyre pressure monitoring thingy. Gives exact pressures (Had this on a Mondeo), I have found this no more helpful than the deflation detection which is standard on SEL.
- I originally looked at 360 cameras but decided that sensors and a rear view cam done everything I needed.

190/AWD everytime if in budget.

I would also stick with SEL, I drove one today on 20" and adding sport suspension with the R Line doen't help. Personal pref I know but you might want to test them both

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having now test driven the 150 and the 190, I've decided on the 190.
Still undecided on colour. Saw a Tungsten silver at the dealers which looked really nice - a slight 'bronzey' tinge to it.
Leather; still undecided on colour. Waiting for a sample of the orange/black and will then make final decision. Colour of leather will also help determine paint colour.
Atlantic Blue & stone leather
indium Grey & orange/black leather
Tungsten Silver & black leather

Options;
Area view park assist
Heated steering wheel (therefore will have to be SEL rather than R-line)
Tyre pressure monitor
Powered tailgate

If I find a nearly-new with all of the above, then I'll be very happy!! Otherwise, dealer has quoted 16 week lead time 🙄

·
Registered
342 Posts
OT76 said:
Crazy is wanting to see the same thing on 2 screens at once :lol:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Personally I'd add Comfort Access to that, unless you already did. There's a pack for comfort access and electric tailgate at £660 I think.

I also wouldn't bother with the TPM, it seems of low use to me personally when basic TPM is standard on the SEL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The sat nav system in the Tiguan (like most cars) gives you a distance to next turn to be taken prompt in the centre console while navigating. I personally think that a second full sized map in the instrument cluster would be distracting, especially since you are meant to be concentrating on keeping the car on the road and not hitting into other cars/walls/people etc.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts
Cabledude said:
The sat nav system in the Tiguan (like most cars) gives you a distance to next turn to be taken prompt in the centre console while navigating. I personally think that a second full sized map in the instrument cluster would be distracting, especially since you are meant to be concentrating on keeping the car on the road and not hitting into other cars/walls/people etc.
Which is another plus for the Head Up Display where you can get the directions without taking your eyes off the road. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you order a new one, make sure you do it via a broker such as DrivetheDeal or Carwow etc. It will most likely save you approx 15-20% on the full on the road price, bringing the price down to the same as used prices for nearly new ones.

I presume you are already aware of this, but thought it would be worth mentioning. You collect your car at a VE dealer in the normal way, just for several thousand pounds less.....

·
Registered
387 Posts
Tig9971 said:
If you order a new one, make sure you do it via a broker such as DrivetheDeal or Carwow etc. It will most likely save you approx 15-20% on the full on the road price, bringing the price down to the same as used prices for nearly new ones.

I presume you are already aware of this, but thought it would be worth mentioning. You collect your car at a VE dealer in the normal way, just for several thousand pounds less.....
Agreed. And carwow is free, painless and my local dealer matched the discount (extremely grudgingly, but he matched it!) to just over 13% discount for a factory order car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Agreed. I used Carwow quotes to drive down the cost of our new Tiguan. Dealer matched most of the Carwow discount and gave a very good trade in too. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would say 190 AWD SEL every time. I test drove a 150 but there is no comparison it felt sluggish in comparison. not convinced of need for pro just to get two maps to show. Once you have had one in front of you, you will never want to take your eyes off straight ahead to look left at screen - I find it positively dangerous when I drive my wife's car now.
Tried heads up but couldn't get on with it - I found it distracting.
Electric tailgate is a no brainer and outdoor pack if you ever drive in muddy fields or off surfaced roads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts