Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my brand new Tiguan a couple of weeks ago. It clicked over 250 miles today and I had to refuel as the free 1/2 tank was getting low. Since then (probably coincidence) the idle RPM has been a bit high 1000rpm vs about 850 usually. The stop start hasn't worked even when warmed up (nothing running like climate, fan etc) and when I got out of the car, there was a hot/warm kind of smell. No warnings or anything like dpf etc, any ideas? It has only done short runs for most of that 250 miles, so my initial thought was that it's doing some kind of dpf cleaning in the background.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The high idle and smell definitely sounds like a re-gen and is normal but not sure about the stop start.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If anything like my last car Audi 'AAddict' if burning off/ re-gen then you will not get the function Stop/Start. Only happened a couple of times with me and once I took the keys out to turn off and the engine ran on for a fair bit to clear the DPF..
Chris

·
Registered
339 Posts
Stop/Start will not activate during DPF regeneration, and it is normal for the engine RPM to rise.

If the regen is in operation it is accompanied by the engine fan operating, hot air evident under the car and an odd plastic like burning smell. Short journeys will initiate DPF regen's more often, however if the regens are not fully completed on a repeated basis the engine will shut down and enter into "limp home" mode which will necessitate a dealer service visit for 'forced' DPF regen at a cost to the owner.

I have the GTD with virtually the same engine and it is known that the stop/start does not operate every time you stop due to either a DPF regen, electrical demand or battery re-charging, the latter of which is normally provided by brake energy regeneration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTD184 said:
Stop/Start will not activate during DPF regeneration, and it is normal for the engine RPM to rise.

If the regen is in operation it is accompanied by the engine fan operating, hot air evident under the car and an odd plastic like burning smell. Short journeys will initiate DPF regen's more often, however if the regens are not fully completed on a repeated basis the engine will shut down and enter into "limp home" mode which will necessitate a dealer service visit for 'forced' DPF regen at a cost to the owner.

I have the GTD with virtually the same engine and it is known that the stop/start does not operate every time you stop due to either a DPF regen, electrical demand or battery re-charging, the latter of which is normally provided by brake energy regeneration.
Thanks, took it out for 30 mins and all is back to normal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
AAddict said:
My Golf 7 GTD does short journeys in the week but I always take it on a good 50 mile trip at a constant 60-70 mph during the weekend which maintains the DPF ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
AAddict said:
GTD184 said:

Good to hear AAddict... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Golf MK7 GTD and it def sound like regen, it scared the crap out of me when I first experienced it.
Fans goes crazy after the engines is shut off, like others have said, take it for a good 20 min drive down the motorway at 60+ and it will go through its cycle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.