Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Tiguan SEL 2.0 TDI. Bought in September 2021 with 56k on it. The oil warning light came on start of March this year so I topped it up. Now start of April and it has come on Again. Has anyone encountered this consumption? Is it a case of constantly having to top up or does this lead to serious problems?

·
Registered
400 Posts
If it took six months for the oil warning light to appear first time and now it appears again after just a month, it sounds like something has happened. Possibly a leak? I'd get it checked out. Hopefully, you have a warranty since you've only owned the car for a little over six months.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I usually get a 'Check oil level' light on around about 2000 miles before my flexible service is due. It's happened before my last 2 long-life services, both times I've topped up with 0.5l oil and it has fixed the issue until the oil change during the service. I guess it's the one downfall of 19,000 - 20,000 mile service intervals - the oil must be slowly consumed during this interval, and it must just dip below the oil level sensor.

·
Registered
Tiguan Elegance 2.0 TDI 150PS 7-Speed DSG 4Motion, Swivel towbar, Nightshade Blue Metallic.
11 Posts
Just had the Low Oil Warning Light come up on my 5 month old car (3114) miles and VW are having it on Friday to ascertain why. If this is normal I have never known a car to use this much oil!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just had the Low Oil Warning Light come up on my 5 month old car (3114) miles and VW are having it on Friday to ascertain why. If this is normal I have never known a car to use this much oil!!
I'd done double that when mine went for it's first service and no warning lights at all. I suspect there is an issue with yours that the Stealership will ultimately put right.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mine’s 3 and a bit years old with almost 30k miles and I’ve never had to top up the oil.

·
Registered
Tiguan Elegance 2.0 TDI 150PS 7-Speed DSG 4Motion, Swivel towbar, Nightshade Blue Metallic.
11 Posts
My mk1 TDi never had to add any oil the 6 years and 46k miles I owned it.

Is there any sign of oil on the floor where you park it at home?
No sign of a leak on the drive. Johnson's of Solihull picking it up today - will see what they come back with.

Out of interest, what spec is everyone using for topping up? All websites I have been on are specifying 5w30 for my car, but the sticker in the bonnet says 0w20 and no-one seems to stock it. Have to get some from the Am***n.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Owned 2017 2.0 TDI for five years, never had to top up between services, the car had over 40k miles on the clock when I sold it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No sign of a leak on the drive. Johnson's of Solihull picking it up today - will see what they come back with.

Out of interest, what spec is everyone using for topping up? All websites I have been on are specifying 5w30 for my car, but the sticker in the bonnet says 0w20 and no-one seems to stock it. Have to get some from the Am***n.
Picked up a litre of 0w20 from the local independent but was also available in Halfords and Euro Car Parts. Not had to use any so far, but only done around 1100 miles.

·
Registered
628 Posts
never had the oil light come on . at service new oil then okay. been the same on my last 5 cars but i always run the engine in. no greater than 70 mph and revs 2000 and lower for 1500km. it says in the handbook it should be done, so i have ltr of oil for the last 4 years!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts