Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any experiences with this feature?

There isn't a button for it so looks as if you have to hunt the menus. And as an option, how does it fare?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm not aware of a specific hill desent control option but with the ACC activated my Tig even with a big caravan on the back holds its set speed amazingley even on the steepest of decents. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Isn't the hill descent part of the off-road function selected by the rotary dial with the four drive options; by the gear lever.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's correct, select off road function and hill descent kicks in.
Had this function kick in once and very useful limiting downhill speed in 4 wheel drive.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've had it kick in as I've gone down long steep hills in Cumbria while the car is in normal mode, so I suspect it's an always on feature.

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
Earl, a you sure it was 'hill descent'? You weren't using ACC by any chance? The reason I ask is that ACC has an 'overspeed' mode which prevents the car exceeding the speed you've set if you're travelling downhill.

Steve

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Earl
I would echo what Steve has said.
When hill descent kicked in with me I was in off road mode travelling no more than 5to10 miles per hour. It cut in to restrict top speed.
This was at the ccc site at West runton. Terrible narrow down hill rutted track. Will not go back until they sort it. Car no problem it's the van I worry about lurching from side to side.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi Roy and Essjay

Nope ACC was off, car in normal, drive selected, foot off the gas and hovering over the brakes - going over the fells in Cumbria there are some particularly steep sections and I distinctly felt the car drop gears and start engine braking. It also repeated it today and I checked what was on/off and the settings were as described; would be near suicidal to have it turned on on those roads.

It may be one of those self protection codes in the Tigs O/S; like the one that shifts the gears in manual mode and calling it "hill descent" is incorrect it's just the Tig saying "I'm not going down that matey"

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Earl
I don't know then, haven't come across the feature you have highlighted. Not much need for it in East anglia. :D :D
I did get a visual warning on the dash when it kicked in, then when the car had showed it turned itself off then intervened again when the speed increased. But it was all at very low speeds.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Earl, I experienced what you mentioned a few times up here (holidaying in scotland) going down inclines. If you going x speed and gear y allows you to go faster through the rolling under its own weight, it drops a gear to apply engine braking (not in E).
Hill assist however actually applies the brakes as well as engine braking when it senses downhill situations but need to be in off-road mode - tested it today.

Sean

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ah, I wondered why the was an arrow at 20 mph - thanks Matchbox.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks that explains what was happening Seanvdv.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry to jump on an old chat.

I have a 2017 Tiguan RLine (newish to me) with the HDC do you know how you set the speed to how fast you descend?

Thanks
Ollie

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,013 Posts
Ollienobes said:
Hi all,

Sorry to jump on an old chat.

I have a 2017 Tiguan RLine (newish to me) with the HDC do you know how you set the speed to how fast you descend?

Thanks
Ollie
You don't

1 - 16 of 16 Posts