Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 week old Tiguan SE Nav when travelling at about 65-70mph I get a droning noise from front nearside,I need to be in gear preferably 6th.When I accelerate in gear noise increases if I come off the revs decreases.
Drives me mad on long journeys
Any ideas?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wheel bearing? Worth a trip to the dealer I reckon.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It doesn't sound like a typical wheel bearing problem.
You said it was related to engine revs, "When I accelerate in gear noise increases if I come off the revs decreases".
It could be a faulty gearbox/syncro, or possibly a faulty tyre. I have had issues in the past when a tyre has a manufacturing defect which causes the noise you describe.
Either way- given the age of the car- it's back to the dealer and they can sort it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unsurprisingly dealer stated nothing wrong characteristic of vehicle so back it will go one more time then it will appear on forecourt with keys and v5 refused under consumers sat 2015!

·
Registered
835 Posts
senschu said:
Unsurprisingly dealer stated nothing wrong characteristic of vehicle so back it will go one more time then it will appear on forecourt with keys and v5 refused under consumers sat 2015!
Been there, if you need any info let me know :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two weeks with dealer and surprisingly a characteristic of the vehicle....noise worse than ever so have e mailed CEO World wide,CEO UK ,customer services,Facebook twitter et al
Have been very loyal to VW now have a. New Tiguan I don't want to drive very disappointed

·
Registered
214 Posts
A couple of possible suggestions in terms of troubleshooting:

If it is a characteristic of the vehicle have you tried another with a tech sat in with you to confirm that it is actually a characteristic.? If the test vehicle and yours are indeed exhibiting the same noise, then it may confirm the characteristic, if not the same then at least it's not just your word against theirs as a tech should be able to back up your issue.

Assuming it is specific to your vehicle, have you asked them to swap the wheels around. A tyre maybe at fault and so causing a rumbling noise. Swapping them about should shift the source of the noise and so confirming that it is wheel/tyre specific rather than any mechanical underpinnings.

I'm not sure if you have diesel or petrol model, but a few folk have described noises from the 150 diesel. The source hasn't been pinned down, but some have said it might relate to the high pressure fuel rail of the model making a louder than expected noise. Obviously when decelerating it dissipates because there isn't the high pressure push through the common rail diesel feed. Others have suggested it is from the tyres due to a heavy front end, quite a few have said the noise has settled after a while, presumably because the tyres get scrubbed, or they are simply getting used to the noise.

I have the 150 petrol engine, so just as comparison it's definitely not a characteristic of that engine as mine is silky smooth and very quiet.

Sorry to hear your troubles.
Axel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts