Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a strange issue for 2 days in a row during the recent cold spell where from the sunroof area near the front there was a reasonably load "knocking" type rattle/noise that occurred on my journey to/from work (when it was below freezing)

Interestingly completely disappeared today when it was back in positive temperatures. I did wander at the time if it was a noise like ice cracking or similar, but not something I've ever seen on a car previously

Has anyone else had anything similar ?

Cheers

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had something similar earlier in the week driving home from work when below freezing. It was from the roof area somewhere but couldn't pin it down sounded like ice scraping..Hasn't happened before or since.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hmmm....if I had ice / stalactites in or hanging from the sunroof inside I would be worried if it's leaking a bit :?: :?: Just a thought :idea: :arrow: The sunroof glass sits a few mil below the rubber surround and if it has rained a bit the water may slightly pool in the rear / front corners and then when it freezes overnight will be solid ice......then once the inside of the car has warmed up or outside temp has notched up a bit, it will loosen and move around until a complete thaw or blown off, as you will see happen many a time stuck behind a wagon blowing off the trailer roof.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would go with what stumpy said, i.e. a small area around the rim freezing up then as the car warms up it is moving around

I've not had a car with a sunroof before, so possibly why I've never seen it before, certainly not been a problem since now it's nor quite freezing round my way.

Would certainly be worried about internal icing that would worry me it's a leak, i've not had anything like that

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hmmm....'tedster' could've been out late down a country lane 'rduk', who's to say :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Old thread I know but mine was left out last night and as the temperature fell to zero my sunroof made a funny rubbing noise all the way to work, as I got to work it stopped but it was annoying all the same, anyone else get this?. I am going to cover the seals etc in Krytox tonight and hope that solves the issue as I can't be driving around all winter with my sunroof partially open!

·
Registered
835 Posts
182_blue said:
Old thread I know but mine was left out last night and as the temperature fell to zero my sunroof made a funny rubbing noise all the way to work, as I got to work it stopped but it was annoying all the same, anyone else get this?. I am going to cover the seals etc in Krytox tonight and hope that solves the issue as I can't be driving around all winter with my sunroof partially open!
I had a funny feeling that this thread might be updated around the same-ish time as last years with it being cold out side again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts