Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this is not strictly a Tiguan question, you guys have been so knowledgeable and helpful over the last few months that I really hope it’s ok to ask these here. I’m very new to car financing, and car ownership at all tbh, so trying to figure all this out. We have a t-cross, two yrs into a four yr finance deal when we ordered a new Tiguan at the start of July (baby number two arrived, quickly obvious that a t-cross was never going to be big enough for us as a family of four!). We agreed to part exchange the car with the dealer, and I negotiated a higher part ex price based on webuyanycar and carwow valuations, as well as what I think is a decent deal on the list price. So my questions are: 1. Are we locked in to part exchanging with the dealer now. Looks like the value of our car might have gone up (what a topsy turvy world we seem to be in right now!)?
and 2. Given the massive wait between agreeing the sale and finally purchasing our new car (dealer has told us we will actually get the car this month but will believe it when I see it given the lies and appalling communication from them so far), we have paid off more of our finance deal and the settlement cost will therefore be lower. So what happens to the extra money (the difference between the part ex price and the settlement cost), does the dealer just get to pocket that as a nice little extra profit, or do we get to use that as additional funds towards our deposit?
Thanks for reading so far and sorry if these are naive questions - it’s been a steep learning curve, and thanks in advance for your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
My dealer was happy to renegotiate a deal on handover day. Well, a couple of days before actually, but only put pen to paper on handover day. I got £5k more than the original quote! I ordered in March, collected in September.
I find a good natured approach works best for me. Not too pushy but not a pushover either.
I’m sure your dealer ought to be able to accommodate any changes in values.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
That’s a very good question as I wait for my Tiguan my loan is decreasing and listers are settling that as I’m going on pcp also on the Volkswagen uk site value my car it’s more than the dealership offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Put simply, the final difference between trade in and settlement is all yours to put towards the new car.

I would just check what offer you can achieve from 'motorway'. I got an offer from wbac and another for my 2015 tiguan, of around 9k, Motorway gave a price of 10k, but final sale achieved 10,850. They market the car to dealers who make bids, so what they price the car at, and what the final offer is goes the opposite way to wbac offers.

I had a trade in value, but if you can turn up on the day with no trade in dealers don't object (unless they're really keen to get your car)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
You are not committed to doing the part-exchange with the dealer, you can do it however you want.

Nearer the time I would get some quotes from other buyers and if they are better take that information to VW. They will most likely still want to car so will match the offers, but if not just sell it elsewhwere.

Likewise the dealer doesn’t have to take the car but it is more difficult (from a reputation for them to back out) because it gives you the opportunity to cancel the order.

So the buyer holds all the cards. Get a offer from the dealer, if when the time comes the price as gone down you can expect them to respect the original offer but if the price has gone up you could renegotiate or sell elsewhere.

Cheers,

Nigel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I'm in a similar position with my Golf, only now the equity in the car is worth more than the total deposit I'm due to put down. How can that work, will they write me a cheque for the difference? Can I reopen the finance agreement and have my monthly payments lowered?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I'm in a similar position with my Golf, only now the equity in the car is worth more than the total deposit I'm due to put down. How can that work, will they write me a cheque for the difference? Can I reopen the finance agreement and have my monthly payments lowered?
I would think the answer is yes to both. If you have £6k in equity but agreed to pay £5k as a deposit they will pay you the £1k difference or adjust the monthlies down to reflect your larger deposit, your choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I had a quote yesterday on a hybrid. The dealer offered me £18100 for my 2.0l diesel SEL (55,000 miles, immaculate) Seemed low but it is a future fixed minimum price to be re-negotiated if the value of the car increases between now and exchange. It's a starting point but I don't think they'll go up much so I will probably sell it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
No idea really if that’s a good or bad price as you don’t mention the age of the car. However with 55k on the clock, and if it’s more than three years old, it may be reasonable… What do others think? I may be out of touch but I suspect the mileage hurts the value here…
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick update: our new car is at the dealers, we will pick up next week (absolute miracle, I had convinced myself we wouldn’t see it until next year). I gave it a go with them to see if they would increase the part ex price, but they wouldn’t, so will now try and sell it via motorway, which if we get the price they’re quoting (which doesn’t look unreasonable given used prices for similar cars on auto trader), will give us more than the deposit needed for the new car once we’ve paid the settlement, happy days! Thanks again for your help here, it has been absolutely invaluable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
No idea really if that’s a good or bad price as you don’t mention the age of the car. However with 55k on the clock, and if it’s more than three years old, it may be reasonable… What do others think? I may be out of touch but I suspect the mileage hurts the value here…
Will be 4 years in March. I've been quoted 26 to 28 weeks for new car so should be about June, if I'm lucky? Motorway quoted £18900 now and Carwow was £19000 - but Carwow recommended putting it onto their bid system to achieve the maximum. Hopefully I'll get at £18,something when it comes to it. Won't be dealer though as I'm about to order via AutoEbid or Drive The Deal so trade in will be tricky to arrange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
If my dealer is offering a pcp deal with a 3500 discount, how does that work if the car order hasn’t even been accepted by the factory yet? Is the pcp agreed now or when u receive the car, what happens to rate if it’s agreed now, as surely that would change?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
If my dealer is offering a pcp deal with a 3500 discount, how does that work if the car order hasn’t even been accepted by the factory yet? Is the pcp agreed now or when u receive the car, what happens to rate if it’s agreed now, as surely that would change?
I’m same situation order went in a month ago no idea if accepted at the factory got offered 17450k for my t-roc.if used car price goes up or new ones ( definitely will ) where we stand.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top