Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My diesel has just clocked up 2500 miles and today on returning home I noticed a vast improvement in acceleration. I always drive in sport mode and the only change to the car was an adjustment to the tyre pressures 2 days ago. Door sticker says 38 but car was set to 29 all round. Steering now feels lighter but could that be the reason or is it just that the engine is now freeing up a bit. Whatever the reason it is now much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Less rolling resistance now so accounts for what you feel but you may notice slightly harder ride

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's what I thought. Not really noticed any change in the ride quality. What tyre pressures have you got set

·
Registered
463 Posts
I like mine on comfort of 33psi.

·
Registered
390 Posts
OK, I'm a bit late but....

Like Steve_t, I run at 38 all round; fuel use has a direct relationship to tyre pressure (well that's what the formulae show).

However, at about 9K my MPG shot up - possibly warmer weather but has any one else noticed this

Cheers Earl

·
Registered
953 Posts
Earl_H said:
OK, I'm a bit late but....

Like Steve_t, I run at 38 all round; fuel use has a direct relationship to tyre pressure (well that's what the formulae show).

However, at about 9K my MPG shot up - possibly warmer weather but has any one else noticed this

Cheers Earl
On my Audi A1 tdi I was getting about 20 mpg extra in the warmer summer weather, in the winter I took the inlet pipe from the car front off and that increased the mpg in the winter by about 10 mpg
Will have to have a play next winter
Other than that the wife pushing better than a hybrid

·
Registered
446 Posts
Warmer recent weather will account for mpg much more than the tyre pressures, it's surprising how tolerant tyres are to pressures without really affecting mpg much. For example, A6 Avant I drive had the pressure up way to high, somthing daft like the 45psi AUDI state, probably to get that last 1/10th of an mpg out of it, but I dropped them by 10psi to a more acceptable 35psi. MPG is no different really. The temperature and the way it's driven account for more. Obviously start dropping below 25psi and it'll start to drag, especially if it's a soft-walled tyre.

·
Registered
74 Posts
agree about ambient temperature....have noticed an improvement in economy since the warmer weather......on the exact same journey..... some of this improvement might be due to engine braking in as well......now have 8000 miles on the clock...... noticed this on my Skoda superb as well

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yep since getting over 4500 on the clock and the warmer weather my petrol engine is improved by at least 2 to 3 miles :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts