Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random one. Today the Infotainment system didn't turn in when I fired up the car. No amount of pressing the power button would cause it to kick into life. Had a drive to the vw garage and when I pulled up in the car park and turned the ignition off I thought I'd give it another whirl and it fired up straight away as soon as I put the key in the ignition. Thought it was a once off but it's done about 4 times today now. Looks like I'm going to need to book it in to get it looked at. Cars only 8 weeks old.and bloody broken already.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine stopped working on Saturday. just 15 days after getting the car. After doing a double lock then opening and the vehicle using the spare key fob, seemed to clear it at the end of the day. This after driving about 40 miles without it. It's not just the sounds that you miss but the vehicle configurations etc.
I'm hoping mine is just a glitch and if it happens again, I will go to my local dealers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thought it was just mine that was playing up.
Problem started before Christmas when, just as Kris described, the system failed to boot up on start up. Initially I thought this was a one off but I've now had to resort to carrying around my old TomTom (much better device imo) as the problem has become more frequent and embarrassing, especially when you're travelling away from home with no navigation :cry: .

Unfortunately the issue is intermittant and even though my local VW agent has had the Tig in for testing they can't replicate the problem. More worrying is the fact that they say that the error is not being logged by the Tig's onboard system, and therefore they don't know how to solve the issue.

Best they've come up with so far is that I should photograph the issue next time it occurs!!

So it's good to know, in a sad way, that others are having the exact same issue. The more that report the issue the better off we'll be as my agent tells me that I'm the first (and only) driver to report this issue.

Watch this space for updates.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Folks,
don't let your dealers fob you off. There are known problems with the mib head units in many of vw's cars. Issues range from screen freezes to black outs etc.

This is a thread from the golf r owners forum
http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/12765-discovery-nav-problem/

There are other similar threads on the gti and Polo forums.

Thankfully the dealers do seem to respond pretty well to the problem. Typically they need photo or better still a quick video of the issue, then they can make a warranty claim.

I believe the dealers typical troubleshooting approach is:

1 try a system reboot using their vas workshop system.
2 update the mib head unit software
3 replace the screen unit
4 replace the media unit in the glovebox

As the full unit is about £2000, you can see why vw only sanction that after all other options have been explored.

To be fair I haven't heard of any recurring issues after a replacement unit has been fitted. Also for many the software update has worked, as has just having the screen swapped.

However a dealer saying they havent heard of any other problems is just not right. It might be the case for the Tiguan, but that's just because they are so new. There have definitely been many cases of this issue with the golfs.

Hope this helps.
Axel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had this happen several times over a few days last month. Dealers agreed to replace head unit but first suggested I remove my own SD card for a week. Did that, screen been 100% perfect ever since.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How random Cal's. I've deleted the android play app from my phone and mines been fine eversince. Could be coincidence. Booked in in February for them to take a look

·
Registered
16 Posts
A little over 3 weeks ago, my Infotainment also started to only work randomly,

Some times it would it just would not work for a few days.

I contacted VW Customer Service and they arranged for my local VW dealership to book my Tiguan in for a warranty service.

When I booked it in, the dealership had just come back from their Christmas break and the earliest booking was a week away.

I had no sooner booked the Tiguan in and it has not missed a beat since.

So the day before it was due to go in for the service, I called into the dealership and it was decided to leave the service for now, but if the problem reoccurred again, to contact them immediately.

While the failure was not much more than an annoyance, the only real problem I found, was that while the display did not work, but the mobile phone connection did work, but because of no display, I could not use the phone until the phone's Bluetooth was turned off.

Anyway as above, the system has been working faultlessly for the past two weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just happend to me today on the way to work it works but going back home after starting the car it wont turn on, reverse back and forth it turns on the reverse camera. Going back home i turn off the car and restart the Info system does not turn on. The car is 5 months old and this is not acceptable. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
387 Posts
This happened today to us.

Fixed by holding the power button in for 15 seconds to reboot it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Satnav on mine stopped working a couple of times - cured by release and push back in SD card [ SD1 in my case ]

·
Registered
835 Posts
When we had our car mine used to go off but also took the whole lot out, not just the the info screen but the speedo/rev etc screen out as well.
I could be driving along and the whole lot would go blank, so I was driving without any kind of info in front of me.
This was one of the reasons ours went back as they could not sort it out, besides some other issues.
When I was talking to the sales manager about it he said it was a known problem with just the info screen crashing.
He said they had just sold a Golf and when the bloke came to pick it up they were going through the bits and bobs with the customer on the car, they started it up and the screen just crashed and would not come back on...not the best of starts to your car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts