Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current insurer renewal advice£413.28 - papers arrived today - price £517.43!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hence new insurer £275 full comprehensive!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
On a slightly different note, do VW still give 5 or 7 days with new car purchases?
They offered it to me in September last year, so I guess so....

·
Registered
755 Posts
On a slightly different note, do VW still give 5 or 7 days with new car purchases?
JCB Medway have confirmed there is free 7-day insurance. I guess that enables them to get the car registered without having to wait for the buyer to arrange his own insurance.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
JCB Medway have confirmed there is free 7-day insurance. I guess that enables them to get the car registered without having to wait for the buyer to arrange his own insurance.
Or if the buyer arranged the insurance correctly, but on arrival finds the dealership had registered a different number to that advised to the buyer, invalidating the buyers updated insurance... As happened when we collected misses T- Cross!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Or if the buyer arranged the insurance correctly, but on arrival finds the dealership had registered a different number to that advised to the buyer, invalidating the buyers updated insurance... As happened when we collected misses T- Cross!!
Indeed, that is what happened to me if I had gone to collect the car early this year having ordered it last August. I ordered a manual and unbeknown to me the supplier ordered the DSG automatic transmission. I had to arrange my own insurance which obviously was for a manual transmission which meant had I travelled 100 miles to go and collect the vehicle the insurance would have been invalid! No wonder the lying supplier was keen for me to get the deal cancelled.

·
Registered
452 Posts
About two months in to ownership of my Tiguan I got a letter from the Police informing me I wasn't insured! Turns out I'd entered the wrong registration no on my insurance application (entirely my fault). What was odd was the registration I'd used was for the same model of Tiguan (2.0 Elegance) so it looked correct on the documents! What were the chances!?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Your lucky you had a warning not a ticket. They were very kind to you.
Yes, I was surprised. The letter suggested it might be an oversight and I should investigate/rectify as soon as possible.
I wonder if it had been an older car whether it would have been a different story…

·
Registered
624 Posts
When buying new cars I have always been offered a free temporary insurance. I have never taken it up though because whenever I have looked at the policy it has always been inferior to the policy I would choose to purchase (higher excess, lack of no-claim protection etc). So I have always preferred to arrange my own insurance in advance.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: John27

·
Registered
755 Posts
When buying new cars I have always been offered a free temporary insurance. I have never taken it up though because whenever I have looked at the policy it has always been inferior to the policy I would choose to purchase (higher excess, lack of no-claim protection etc). So I have always preferred to arrange my own insurance in advance.

Cheers,

Nigel
But the 7-days is usually free and there is no obligation to take up the policy. But me, anything that's free thankyou I'll have some of that! 💷

·
Registered
8 Posts
Morale of this story: always shop around and/or haggle at renewal time

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just had my insurance renewal through from Direct Line, and I was already shopping around in preparation.

For my current MK7.5 2018 GTI with myself and the wife insured, driveway parking, with business mileage, fully Comp, Curtesy car plus, £150 compulsory excess and protected NCB, last year I was paying £315.00 all in. I was starting to dread what it would be this year, however imagine my surprise when my renewal appeared the other day and it had dropped (quite a bit actually) to £268.00 !! Result.

·
Registered
624 Posts
But the 7-days is usually free and there is no obligation to take up the policy. But me, anything that's free thankyou I'll have some of that! 💷
Think you misunderstood what I was saying. I never said that they weren’t free nor that there is an obligation to continue it.

The point I was making is that the free policies I have been offered have all had poorer terms and conditions compared with what I would choose to buy. For example, should you have an accident within those 7 days you might find that the excess that you have to contribute to the repairs are higher than what you would normally go for. Or that if you have an accident within those 7 days there is no no-claims protection.

Personally, I have never thought it was worth the risk.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
755 Posts
Think you misunderstood what I was saying. I never said that they weren’t free nor that there is an obligation to continue it.

The point I was making is that the free policies I have been offered have all had poorer terms and conditions compared with what I would chose to pay. For example, should you have an accident within those 7 days you might find that the excess that you have to contribute to the repairs are higher than what you would normally go for. Or that if you have an accident within those 7 days there is no no-claims protection.

Personally, I have never thought it was worth the risk.

Cheers,

Nigel
No, I knew what you meant but I'm a tight git and if something is offered for free I'll be first in the queue!

• Haha
Reactions: John27 and mrew42
1 - 17 of 17 Posts