Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When on intermittent setting the wipers will do four or five wipes at the correct sensitivity setting but then speed up to the fastest wipe speed. Can reset by changing the sensitivity to high and then low or turning them off and back on but the. Cycle repeats. Is it a faulty rain / light sensor. Has only started happening since car was in garage for a rear sensor replacement. Could it be related? Any quick fix? Reluctant to put back to VW garage as it took them 3 visits and 5 days to fix the sensor. Anything I can try before that? Many thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When on intermittent setting the wipers will do four or five wipes at the correct sensitivity setting but then speed up to the fastest wipe speed. Can reset by changing the sensitivity to high and then low or turning them off and back on but the. Cycle repeats. Is it a faulty rain / light sensor. Has only started happening since car was in garage for a rear sensor replacement. Could it be related? Any quick fix? Reluctant to put back to VW garage as it took them 3 visits and 5 days to fix the sensor. Anything I can try before that? Many thanks
Tiguan all space 2016

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try cleaning your screen with good window cleaner first, mine does this if there are smears/it gets a greasy coating as the sensor sees the screen as obscured. Failing that I fear its a faulty sensor. .

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It's not intermittent, i.e. A fixed wipe and adjustable interval, but rain sensing, so will be more or less frequent and faster and slower according to how wet it measures the screen. Just reduce the sensitivity, and leave it there unless you need to change it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have tried reducing the sensitivity and leaving it while driving in intermittent light showers. Wipers speeded up after four wipes and stayed at fastest speed even when rain and vehicle had stopped.Fastest speed is equivalent to a heavy downpour. As this is a new occurrence I think it must be the sensor. Dreading taking it to the VW garage as life is too short to spend it going back and forth with them over the issue.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Check the windscreen for a stone chip over the sensor. Had that a few cars back. Was tiny and took ages to find but caused the wipers to go as you describe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Arcweld - I'm afraid mine does it, frustrating to say the least. I've taken to putting up with it and turning the wipers off and on. There doesn't seem to be any logic to the sensitivity switch, as far as I can tell. Just a bit of a gimmick you eventually get used to. The same with the parking sensors, so called VW garage took £200 just to locate a faulty sender, I've long stopped worrying when they all bleep with great gusto and just ignore them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am on my second Mk 2 Tig and neither of them has done this. The intermittent wipe only goes faster when the rain is heavier. Given you have cleaned the sensor and the windscreen is undamaged, it does sound like a faulty sensor to me. If the car is under warranty I'd take it back to the dealer either now or live with it until the car has to go in for something else (like a service for instance). If its out of warranty, I'd just live with it. Like all VW parts, it is unlikely to be cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's an option somewhere in the settings to disable the rain sensor. You'll then have the wipers working with fixed intervals dependent on the switch position. You can try it as temporary workaround.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, i saw that comment regarding disabling the wipers in the manuals wiper section. However when I followed the instructions and went into the car settings the “wiper” section is not available in my vehicles menus settings. There is a comment in the manual that states that not all options are available depending on electronic and vehicle spec. I must have a lower spec car.

I appreciate all the advice and comments - I have tried to check all suggestions and there is nothing obvious. Think I will have to put up with until it goes the car goes in for a major service.
Thanks again

·
Registered
755 Posts
I never use the rain sensing position as it either doesn't start soon enough or wipes unnecessarily either too slow or too fast. Intermittent is okay as I just adjust it manually to get the right frequency.

Reactions: CUK
1 - 13 of 13 Posts