Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last couple of months I have been considering buying a new Tiguan. I have decided on a white 150 R line DSG with a few options.

I just cant decide between 2 or 4 wheel drive. The car will never go off road, tow anything and I live in Newcastle so we are lucky to get a few days of snow a year.
My dilemma is that I have seen a few posts mention that the 4x4 will be worth a lot more on trade in. I have asked 3 dealers and they don't seem to think so and also if you check the GFV on the pcp calculator the 4x4 is only £700 more than the 2 wd.
Has anyone had any experience of getting a lot more or are people just guessing? I will pay the extra if it will help on trade in, but won't bother if I won't see any benefit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In theory a 4wd unit should increase the resale demand over a 2wd. It should therefore increase the dealers forecourt price. But whether this increased saleability is passed on to you in a trade in value is another issue. We all know what trade in negotiations are like.
But certainly, in the past, when I have looked at used vehicles, looking for an SUV, the bargains (if you can call it that, lower price for their age) have resulted from being 2wd.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Looking at used 2016 Tiguans for sale, dealers are asking more for 4 motion Tiguans than 2WD Tiguans. Will you get more on a trade in is difficult to say. If we get a few bad winters in the U.K It could favour the 4 motion with saleability. Currently a lot of used 4 motion Tiguans for sale so it seems a lot of people are going for 4 motion. Only 2 R Line Tiguans 2WD on the Autotrader that I can see and both are manual.One thing is for sure the dealers won't lose out on a trade in anyways.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I would myself be thinking....whats 700 smackers over increased safety. The 4motion is always thinking for you in damp, wet, slippery conditions + the added bonus if you need the extra grip off-road or deffo snow conditions even though it maybe for a few weeks of the year :idea: :idea: :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Ed1 said:
Looking at used 2016 Tiguans for sale, dealers are asking more for 4 motion Tiguans than 2WD Tiguans. Will you get more on a trade in is difficult to say. If we get a few bad winters in the U.K It could favour the 4 motion with saleability. Currently a lot of used 4 motion Tiguans for sale so it seems a lot of people are going for 4 motion. Only 2 R Line Tiguans 2WD on the Autotrader that I can see and both are manual.One thing is for sure the dealers won't lose out on a trade in anyways.
Correct... :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you are buying basic spec it basic.........if you are buying highline spec it high as it is financial suicide to attempt to sell on a basic spec highline!..............4 motion couples with DSG on a SEL or R-Line is a no brainer as you will always get 50% or more of your investment back come resale!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with GTD184. If you want cheap and cheerful go as basic as possible with an S or possibly SE Nav with 2 wheel drive, manual and no DSG or other goodies. You then have a real bargain and will get a good return on your money. If you want a higher spec such as SEL or R Line or lots of goodies you really need DSG and 4 wheel drive as these are expected at this level and most buyers would avoid if car doesn't have them. I would pick 4 wheel drive above any other options. Once you have driven one you will hate going back to the risk of 2 wheel drive. Its not just snow or off road its any day the road is a bit slippery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
salmonfisher said:
I agree with GTD184. If you want a higher spec such as SEL or R Line or lots of goodies you really need DSG and 4 wheel drive as these are expected at this level and most buyers would avoid if car doesn't have them.
Is it expected though, if it was a 50k car it probaly would be or am I just paying for someone else in 3 years to benefit and I see little return on trade in prices.

Also if 2wd cars are rarer will that not push prices up for them?

I don't mind paying for something that I will benefit from, but after years of buying cars and not seeing any benefit from the extras added I am quite sceptical.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
cmorts1 said:
salmonfisher said:
I agree with GTD184. If you want a higher spec such as SEL or R Line or lots of goodies you really need DSG and 4 wheel drive as these are expected at this level and most buyers would avoid if car doesn't have them.
Is it expected though, if it was a 50k car it probaly would be or am I just paying for someone else in 3 years to benefit and I see little return on trade in prices.

Also if 2wd cars are rarer will that not push prices up for them?

I don't mind paying for something that I will benefit from, but after years of buying cars and not seeing any benefit from the extras added I am quite sceptical.
In the end it's down to you to way up all the advice you've been given, taking into account your own preferences. Only you can make the final decision. Then, time will tell if it's been the right one ;)

Steve

·
Registered
257 Posts
The main benifit of 4 motion is its safer in bad weather. Will the fact 2WD R Line Tiguans are rarer push up prices. No I don't think it will. It just means 4 motion Tiguans are more popular now and are likely to be more popular when sold second hand too.

When I bought my Audi the sales guy told me the Dealership ordered an RS4 factory order with a heap of extras to sell in the showroom. But they forgot to order one important extra, heated seats!
It took them 6 months to sell the car because the leather didn't have heated seats . I guess it's an expensive car so you would expect heated seats in the car. Also leather and heated seats also go hand in hand together.

For me the Tiguan R line is the top spec Tiguan and the R line and 4 motion go hand in hand together just like leather and heated seats.

·
Registered
28 Posts
4motion is worth the extra purely for the instant grip from standstill, I have more confidence pulling out of junctions in my tsi Tiguan than I did in my 220hp mini, especially in the wet!

I haven't driven the 2wd Tiguan but have had several fwd cars and wanted to try 4 wheel drive, (even though it's just Hadlex).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Before I bought ours (Sept 15) I looked at WBAC values of 3yr old models and there was about £3K difference between 2WD manual and 4MotionDSG - which was pretty well the same as the differnence in new price.

However since the emissions announcement the values have all dropped and the differential is much closer now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts