Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My new SEL is generally awesome. I've just posted another question about the lights but the only other thing I can find wrong is some weird behaviour with the satnav / audio system. The behaviour is a minor niggle as opposed to a teeth grinding problem - the kind of thing I'll mention at the first service as opposed to whinging to the dealer right now. Just wondering if this is 'just my car' or whether anyone else's does it? I have the standard navigation system in the SEL but I did upgrade to Dynaudio (and very pleased with it I am too :) )

The things I'm on about are:

1. Most times when you turn on, the infotainment system tells you it's starting the navigation system and then 'checks navigation data'. About 20% of the time, the car gets stuck in this checking stage and the navigation system just doesn't work. If I reach in the glove box and pop the card out / replace it, it then 'finds itself' and works just fine.

2. The audio volume is weird. I've got the speed dependant volume turned off to exclude that as a cause so it's not that.... what it does? Most times when you turn the car on, a Dynaudio volume level of around half on the blue volume bar is pretty darn loud. 3/4 would be uncomfortable and full would be impossible to cope with. Other times? The volume just starts quieter and stays that way. I max out the blue bar and the sound is still not quite as loud as it usually is at 50% when it's working normally. You can continue to increase the volume despite apparently being at maximin. So basically, it's like the volume indicator is totally knackered. But only sometimes!

The good news is that apart from these, which are hardly breaking my heart, and me trying to get to grips with the lights which is probably me, it's a fabulous car. 1500 miles in just over a fortnight and it's comfy, drives well and the technology, most of which works flawlessly IMO, is really impressive. So it's pretty much all good :)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
In response to 1- have you put the SD card in SD2 (right hand side). For some reason VW recommend this slot.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience of the Dynaudio system- only got the Discover Media basic myself. It might be worth asking the dealer as it does seem to be behaving oddly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Niggly :)

I'll go check which slot it's in shortly. TBH I am not sure; it was already in there when I got the car and I haven't thought to try the other slot. I naively thought that you couldn't put them the other way around :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
My sat nav sits there saying loading or finding location, something like that. So i spent ages wondering why it was doing that on main screen even when not directly viewing it on the virtual dash. Turns out you have to change the view from virtual dash to main screen, otherwise it still thinks you're viewing on virtual dash. Not sure if that's what you had? When I pull the card out It automatically comes up on main screen.

Also my Dynaudio always loads up last sound setting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses Niggly and and RH85

My satnav SD card was in slot 1 and my own card with all my songs was in slot 2. As mentioned, the car came with the media card already inserted in slot 1.

I've swapped them around and will see how it goes - it's fine so far but, as the glitch is intermittent, it'll be a few days before I know if it's cured it or not :)

RH85 - I had previously wondered about that. When it's working, mine seems not to care if the map is on the main screen or on the virtual dial thing. I've played with it by flipping the map back and forth between them and it seemed to still just do a 'computer says no'. When it was in its glitch state, it seemed the only way to fix it was to pop the card out and push it back in which fixes it no bother. As to the volume, thanks for that. With mine, the issue seems to be that the actual level of the sound and the fullness of the blue bar indicating how loud it is get completely out of sync and so you can be 'full blue bar' yet still pretty quiet. Other times 1/2 blue bar is really, really loud. Not a big deal but very odd!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmm not noticed anything with the blue bar but I do have issues with shifting through songs sometimes on sd card. Sometimes I can flick through on album covers and others it's only as text so I have to scroll through. can't figure out why it does it. Also sometimes sound settings on Dynaudio go back to normal and sometimes they are at my preference.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It might be worth trying a different SD card for your music. Also- be aware there is a 1000 item limit for storage on the card. The system cannot read more than this.
You could also try a reboot on the Infotainment system.
When it is on, press and hold the on/off button on the left side for about 15 seconds. This should force it to do a reboot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Had car one week and have had the exact same sat nav issue you describe. Taking SD out and reinserting sorts it, but should not have to do this. I swapped it into SD2 slot but the issue returned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts