Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm sure that to begin with I could touch the door handle to open the door, but also touch it to LOCK again, which was a nice feature to save ever digging out the key.

Now it won't seem to LOCK using the "touch door handle" method, but I am sure it did before (and also saw this on one of the Essjay vids too, I thought).

Am I going mad, or have I somehow "disabled" that functionality? :roll:

thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Negativepitch (and sorry to hear about all your hassles with Sinclair Cardiff)

I don't see anything there that I am not doing....indeed the link that Essjay posted suggests it's just a case of touching the handle again as you leave the vehicle and it locks (eg see at 1min 50 on the below link for example). Mine just doesn't for some reason now - but no issues with unlocking it.

I'm wondering if I have somehow disabled it now??

Anyone else having the same issue with Keyless LOCKING of the vehicle?

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
Hi AdW, it seems strange that you can unlock but not lock the doors. When I lock them I find that using the back of my fingers against the locking area is easiest, but if you've tried all ways then it might be time to get the dealer to have a look.

Steve

·
Registered
74 Posts
My vxr wouldn't lock and that was keyless entry if I'd left something turned on inside the car ?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Tag69 said:
My vxr wouldn't lock and that was keyless entry if I'd left something turned on inside the car ?
That's a good point. My Mondeo didn't lock because the hatchback wasn't fully closed, but there was no warning light.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Or forgot to mention maybe it's the battery in the key fob ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Does the door on the passenger side (or any of the rear doors have a similar sensor to lock the car with - could try using that one to see if it is just isolated problem with the driver door?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all for the suggestions.

Steve - tried the "back of the hand/fingers" method and it worked....but then stopped working!

Key fobs only a week or so old, so unlikely the battery in those.

Could be something left on in the car possibly (as there is sometimes a beeping sound when I get out....although I have yet to fathom what that means - we leave lights on AUTO, but I assume that's not the cause).

Have tried the passenger door too (which has the same sensor) but similarly non-responsive. Hmmmm - the mystery continues I think for now. Will let you know if I resolve it :roll:

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you have DSG have you engaged park, I recall a friend having a similar problem on his passat and I think the reason turned out to be he had note engaged park and had left it in drive. I might be wrong but thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is the handbrake on when you are trying to lock the car? Have you tried both keys ?

The keyless entry did not work on my car when I picked it up from the dealers. Dealer plugged in a laptop and it was an incorrect setting.

Does the boot swipe work?

·
Registered
73 Posts
DeT said:
If you have DSG have you engaged park, I recall a friend having a similar problem on his passat and I think the reason turned out to be he had note engaged park and had left it in drive. I might be wrong but thought I would mention it.
I've tried locking the car a few times and the wing mirrors haven't folded in (how I gauge if the car is locked) because I wasn't in park.

I didn't even know that you could also lock the car keylessley! Every days a school day!

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Could be something left on in the car possibly (as there is sometimes a beeping sound when I get out....although I have yet to fathom what that means - we leave lights on AUTO, but I assume that's not the cause)."

Could beeping sound be due to ignition not being switched off by tapping stop/start button after engine stopped and before exiting?. That would prevent keyless locking. Just a suggestion!.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks all for the suggestions! Always put it into park so not that I think.

But when I do put the DSG into Park, the engine turns itself off (so I don't push the STOP button per se)....so I think I will try doing that before putting it into park and see if that procedure makes any difference. And will experiment with putting the park brake on too, in case that's required.

Appreciate all the help (and glad to see it's useful to others too, Adamsy!). Loads to learn on these cars i must say and that manual's not the easiest read LOL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So the manual implies the DSG must be in Park, and the Start\Stop button must be pressed. Not sure if the hand brake plays a part. Will test in mine since I've not got my head round all this locking\unlocking stuff yet either.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Sounds sensible, into park, turn off. After all, although the engine has stopped via stop\start, the 'ignition' is still on. like leaving it on in a conventional key system and tying to lock the car. Handbrake's probably irrelevant, as per regular car.

Just think, into park, ignition off then leave.

of course, this is all theory on my behalf :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've noticed that my touch lock has been a bit hit and miss although I've only had the car for a couple of days - It doesn't seem to work first time if the door handle or my hand are wet & it's pi55ed it down since Friday here.
Not sure if this is the reason, but it's a possibility ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Malcm59 said:
I've noticed that my touch lock has been a bit hit and miss although I've only had the car for a couple of days - It doesn't seem to work first time if the door handle or my hand are wet & it's pi55ed it down since Friday here.
Not sure if this is the reason, but it's a possibility ?
Update - We've had a couple of dry days and the keyless lock is working fine at the moment. I find that the back of the fingers against the sensor works better than just the thumb.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That could be annoying in UK or where i live as we mostly have wet weather. Does the car lock by itself if you walk away with the key outside its range? I had some US cars rented with such systems. As soon as I would walk 5-10 meters away from the car it would lock by itself.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I find when I park sometimes the engine stops via the stop/start. If I push the stop/start button the engine restarts. I then have to push the stop/start button again to stop the engine. Anyone else notice that?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts