Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been thrown into a bit of a panic regarding the security of keyless entry & start systems following a couple of instances where friends have had their vehicles (One a Megane, the other an Audi RSQ5) broken into by thieves cloning their key code. I was regretting having specified it on my new build, however I've just done a quick search on keyless entry and some researchers from Birmingham University have done a study which is interesting and disturbing, however the following bottom line offers some comfort...

The researchers said the only exceptions were cars built on VW's latest MQB production platform, which is used in its top selling model, the Golf VII, which the researchers found does not have the flaw.
The VW spokesman Peter Weisheit said that its current Golf, Tiguan, Touran and Passat models are not at risk from the attack, adding: "This current vehicle generation is not afflicted by the problems described."

Full article on :
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/12/cars-risk-keyless-entry-system-hacked-volkswagen

·
Registered
257 Posts
Malcm59 said:
I've recently been thrown into a bit of a panic regarding the security of keyless entry & start systems following a couple of instances where friends have had their vehicles (One a Megane, the other an Audi RSQ5) broken into by thieves cloning their key code. I was regretting having specified it on my new build, however I've just done a quick search on keyless entry and some researchers from Birmingham University have done a study which is interesting and disturbing, however the following bottom line offers some comfort...

The researchers said the only exceptions were cars built on VW's latest MQB production platform, which is used in its top selling model, the Golf VII, which the researchers found does not have the flaw.
The VW spokesman Peter Weisheit said that its current Golf, Tiguan, Touran and Passat models are not at risk from the attack, adding: "This current vehicle generation is not afflicted by the problems described."

Full article on :
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/12/cars-risk-keyless-entry-system-hacked-volkswagen
Hi Malcm59,

The article is speaking about the buttons on the key. The Keyless entry you have ordered means the car can be opened using the door handle once you have the key with you. You dont have to physically press the unlock button on the key if you don't want to, just touch the door handle to unlock.

I remember a few year ago my wife's friends BMW was parked in a different place to where she parked it . When she went to lock it Thieves blocked the signal so the car never locked. They programmed in a new key and moved the car to come back for it later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts