Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This blog was published on 26 Jan 2022 and it appears to be that most manufacturers have a similar lead time with their cars compared to VW.

From the blog:
The all-electric ID.3 and ID.4 are seeing around a 6-month lead time for delivery at the moment, with all other models from a new factory order seeing a 7-9 month wait. The Tiguan is experiencing some volatility with estimated lead times changing weekly. What you need to know: New Car Delivery Timescales | Pike+Bambridge

Most vehicles are 6 months +

However, on Carwow, the lead time for Tiguan is stated as 11 months but 6 months for the Skoda Kodiaq, Seat Ateca and Tarraco, though they are all pretty much the same car. Is it probably because of the fact that more Tiguans are being ordered than its counterparts? :unsure:
Kinda hoping for a miracle to happen to get the car sooner 😂😅

·
Registered
698 Posts
This blog was published on 26 Jan 2022 and it appears to be that most manufacturers have a similar lead time with their cars compared to VW.

From the blog:
The all-electric ID.3 and ID.4 are seeing around a 6-month lead time for delivery at the moment, with all other models from a new factory order seeing a 7-9 month wait. The Tiguan is experiencing some volatility with estimated lead times changing weekly. What you need to know: New Car Delivery Timescales | Pike+Bambridge

However, on Carwow, the lead time for Tiguan is stated as 11 months but 6 months for the Skoda Kodiaq, Seat Ateca and Tarraco, though they are all pretty much the same car. Is it probably because of the fact that more Tiguans are being ordered than its counterparts? :unsure:
I’ve looked at the CarWow table a few times before. I’m not sure where CarWow gets their info from, whether from the manufacturers or from customer experience.

What is clear is that until recently the numbers listed were pretty optimistic, just a week ago the Tiguan was listed as 6 months, it has only been changed in recent days. I suspect the numbers for Seat, Skoda and Audi have yet to be updated.

I ordered in 30 Aug so I have just entered the sixth month with no sign of a confirmed build date - I have a unconfirmed build week of 20 (mid May). If that holds true (and I’m not holding my breath) then I would get the car in mid July (just under 11 months).

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: Chopstix

·
Registered
236 Posts

From the blog:

It will be a combination of demand, model mix and who is supplying parts. For example DSG is something that always was restricted by demand and its a part that's badly affected by semi conductor shortages so Seat and Skoda may have fewer delayed parts. The other issue is that semiconductors are tier 2 suppliers ie VW doesn't necessarily buy big volumes of them but they go to tier suppliers who deliver the assembled parts. Seat and Skoda may have suppliers are in a better place than VW. My dealer has told me that they are confident that I'll see my car in July (9 month wait).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is clear is that until recently the numbers listed were pretty optimistic, just a week ago the Tiguan was listed as 6 months, it has only been changed in recent days. I suspect the numbers for Seat, Skoda and Audi have yet to be updated.
Ah yeah that also could be the reason, will check again in a couple of days to see if anything changes. Anything before the 9 month mark like my dealer said would be good but we’ll see.

It will be a combination of demand, model mix and who is supplying parts. For example DSG is something that always was restricted by demand and its a part that's badly affected by semi conductor shortages so Seat and Skoda may have fewer delayed parts. The other issue is that semiconductors are tier 2 suppliers ie VW doesn't necessarily buy big volumes of them but they go to tier suppliers who deliver the assembled parts. Seat and Skoda may have suppliers are in a better place than VW. My dealer has told me that they are confident that I'll see my car in July (9 month wait).
Ah fair enough, wasn’t aware that the DSG was the badly affected part. When did you order your car tho? And was it TDI or TSI?

·
Registered
74 Posts
It’s all pie in the sky. The dealers are full of sh1t. I ordered mine in mid Sept and have been given a build week of 8, with delivery expected May/June. Do I believe in those dates? Not a chance.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ah yeah that also could be the reason, will check again in a couple of days to see if anything changes. Anything before the 9 month mark like my dealer said would be good but we’ll see.

Ah fair enough, wasn’t aware that the DSG was the badly affected part. When did you order your car tho? And was it TDI or TSI?
I ordered a PHEV in October RLine. We're quite rural and the PHEV isn't popular as FWD so looks like my dealer had access to build slots.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It’s all pie in the sky. The dealers are full of sh1t. I ordered mine in mid Sept and have been given a build week of 8, with delivery expected May/June. Do I believe in those dates? Not a chance.
This is the problem I have with the Internet. Maybe your dealer or sales rep is but that doesn't apply uniformly across the country. My dealer knows I have zero interest in delivery date, when it comes it comes so he has absolutely nothing to gain by bullshitting me.
If it turns out that the dealer has deliberately mislead me I'll happily let people know but so far communication has been timely and any queries answered professionally.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My salesman comes across as a really nice guy, but my experience earlier this week was a little odd. I was out for a daily exercise, walking round the block, and it occurred to me that my route would take me quite close to the dealership so I popped it. It was early Monday so the place was deserted and my salesman was free. I told it that I'd popped in on the off chance to see if there was an update. He sat me down and he disappeared off to check. Was away for quite a while - about 15 minutes, struck me as a long time. When he eventually came back he said "week 10". To which I replied "that is great news, so it has come forward a little". To which he replied "let me go and check", he disappeared off again and came back almost immediately and said "yes you are right it is Week 20".

It didn't feel very convincing. I do wonder whether he was a long time because he couldn't get into the VW system so was just making up numbers.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
271 Posts
Interesting Jon. Sadly i think the days of cheap motoring are long gone (was it ever really that cheap ?). I think looking at the piece about JLR prioritising the more expensive models at the expense of the cheaper ones, is a strategy that a lot of car manufacturers will follow (or are even also doing themselves now). I think that means going forwards, that even when the semi-conductor and Covid crisis abates, more manufacturers will either drop the smaller less profitable models, or within each model remove the entry level trim lines.

Taking the Tiguan for instance, I can surely see in the near future that the model line up will be pruned down to possibly just the Elegance, R-Line and R models only. Those that want an entry level version of a car in the future are going to be forced to stump up a lot more money and have to buy the pricier derivatives if they want a brand new car.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Interesting Jon. Sadly i think the days of cheap motoring are long gone (was it ever really that cheap ?). I think looking at the piece about JLR prioritising the more expensive models at the expense of the cheaper ones, is a strategy that a lot of car manufacturers will follow (or are even also doing themselves now). I think that means going forwards, that even when the semi-conductor and Covid crisis abates, more manufacturers will either drop the smaller less profitable models, or within each model remove the entry level trim lines.

Taking the Tiguan for instance, I can surely see in the near future that the model line up will be pruned down to possibly just the Elegance, R-Line and R models only. Those that want an entry level version of a car in the future are going to be forced to stump up a lot more money and have to buy the pricier derivatives if they want a brand new car.
That is now the case with Volvo. Last year I looked at the XC40 and nearly ordered one having selected the options through their configurator. I had a quick look the other day and not only are the prices significantly higher but the model I looked at has been replaced and now there are just two or three variations and virtually no options to choose from except for a space-saver wheel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I’ve been looking at an electric car replacement for my Tiguan. I thought I was getting in with plenty of time to get a vehicle before my PCP is up in March 2023, but I’ve been told by both my local dealership and the car leasing company my work uses that new orders for a Skoda Enyaq are looking at a Q1 2023 delivery date… potentially over 12 months from now.
I thought I was in no rush, but if that’s the case, I do need to get a move on.
A friend has also waited 6 months for a Diesel Volvo XC90 so it’s not just a VW or electric car issue - the whole industry is in a real mess.
Madness.

·
Registered
548 Posts
However, on Carwow, the lead time for Tiguan is stated as 11 months but 6 months for the Skoda Kodiaq, Seat Ateca and Tarraco, though they are all pretty much the same car. Is it probably because of the fact that more Tiguans are being ordered than its counterparts?
Yet go to a US dealer - look online - and they've new Tiguans (they only sell what we call the Allspace version) in stock.

That's because American buyers won't wait like Europeans will - they expect to be able to drive in with their old car and drive out a couple of hours later in a new one. Manufacturers must think it's hilarious that we'll wait 6/9/12 mths for a new car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My dealer knows I have zero interest in delivery date, when it comes it comes so he has absolutely nothing to gain by bullshitting me.
I'm similar. I see no point badgering dealers for information they don't have and doing so just leads to meaningless estimates. You see it all the time; 'I've had to constantly contact my dealer for information and the dates have gone from week, 4, 6 10, 12, 15, 18, 20', and so on. Dealers don't know! I doubt VW even know more than 6 or 8 weeks ahead.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm similar. I see no point badgering dealers for information they don't have and doing so just leads to meaningless estimates. You see it all the time; 'I've had to constantly contact my dealer for information and the dates have gone from week, 4, 6 10, 12, 15, 18, 20', and so on. Dealers don't know! I doubt VW even know more than 6 or 8 weeks ahead.
Yeah totally agree and in normal times I wouldn't accept that but people seem to forget the effect of the pandemic. If they think its bad knowing when they car is arriving try doing work on a house. Ill touch base again around Easter.
My view is if the dealer changes the terms of the trade in, price or finance walk away.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yet go to a US dealer - look online - and they've new Tiguans (they only sell what we call the Allspace version) in stock.

That's because American buyers won't wait like Europeans will - they expect to be able to drive in with their old car and drive out a couple of hours later in a new one. Manufacturers must think it's hilarious that we'll wait 6/9/12 mths for a new car.
You sure about that? VW usa sell 100k in a good year and there are 260k sold in the EU. USA sells one engine and gearbox combo with an option for AWD.
Reports are easy to find showing VW Mexico plants shut down due to semiconductor issues. The real reason is probably that EU is sold out, USA has excess stock to shift.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’ve been looking at an electric car replacement for my Tiguan. I thought I was getting in with plenty of time to get a vehicle before my PCP is up in March 2023, but I’ve been told by both my local dealership and the car leasing company my work uses that new orders for a Skoda Enyaq are looking at a Q1 2023 delivery date… potentially over 12 months from now.
I thought I was in no rush, but if that’s the case, I do need to get a move on.
A friend has also waited 6 months for a Diesel Volvo XC90 so it’s not just a VW or electric car issue - the whole industry is in a real mess.
Madness.
Considering the pandemic, the breakdown of container supply chains and the unprecedented demand for IT upgrades I think they (the industry) are doing OK.
I remember people back in 2020 stating they thought the pandemic would be done in a few weeks. Some basic reading indicated it would last 3-5 years and the impact on supply chains probably a further 3-4 years.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You sure about that?
Yes - manufacturers know they have to have cars available to sell immediately or buyers will go elsewhere.

I saw it pointed out in another forum about various LandRover models - complete nightmare to get here, apparently. Customers have having their long-standing orders cancelled. Sitting in stock in US dealers (albeit not in the numbers they usually have).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just ordered a new Tiguan today with a week 10 build slot which was a cancelled order. What are the chances it actually gets built around that? I know it’s impossible to predict but we’re having twins and need a bigger car so time is of the essence for us.

Could it have been just a ploy to get the sale? First time buying a new car so don’t know the score:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just ordered a new Tiguan today with a week 10 build slot which was a cancelled order. What are the chances it actually gets built around that? I know it’s impossible to predict but we’re having twins and need a bigger car so time is of the essence for us.

Could it have been just a ploy to get the sale? First time buying a new car so don’t know the score:
I should imagine it was just a ploy to get the sale. I doubt even the Dealers know until they get an actual confirmation from VW.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts