Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
161 - 180 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Never had an issue before so didn’t see the harm this time! We run a fleet of work vehicles and have used them a number of times. Any reason as to why you feel that way? Thanks for the helpful input…! 😉
The website burnt my retina's.. I was trying to be funny. guess I failed. Glad to hear you have had good experiences.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi all, came across this forum as getting frustrated like everyone else with the ever changing build dates.

I ordered 22.12.21 with an initial build week 38, and now in limbo with nothing. They (Lings) have been very communicative without prompting but it’s evident they don’t know anything for sure so no sense pushing. Or is it? My current lease isn’t due up til November so for the time-being ok to wait anyway - I’ve got my heart set on the Tig now 🙄

Reassuring to see other December orders are coming in just 4 weeks over initial lead time…which would put me in week 42… 😬
My order was placed last week of September 2021 I currently have expected(not confirmed) week 26 my original date was week 9 then week 13?? I am currently on to my lease company(company car) to see if I can cancel as it’s ridiculous that cars ordered after are being shipped?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Personally I think not worth pushing at this point in time, i'd give a month before pushing again, the factory has/is currently closed due to supply chain issues production line should start back up again in the next couple of weeks / month.

The situation is very fluid and changing at the moment, long story short VW do not have the parts to meet demand right now.

Dealers have very little info to go on at the moment apart from the above and the likelihood on you getting 100% accurate information pretty low..

·
Registered
343 Posts
My order was placed last week of September 2021 I currently have expected(not confirmed) week 26 my original date was week 9 then week 13?? I am currently on to my lease company(company car) to see if I can cancel as it’s ridiculous that cars ordered after are being shipped?
All depends on parts for the spec ordered and the availability. There is a lot that is being held back even from dealers. You either have to wait it out for info to come in that is not pulled out of the air or move on to another brand, I can totally understand the frustration.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I ordered a month before you, 29th Aug 2021. My current estimated build week is 26, same as your's - it started off as week 2 and has a succession of slips.

I don't have confidence in week 26 - I think ot is just a pencilled in date and given the history of slips and especially as the Tiguan production line is currently paused until further notice I expect the week 26 to slip more. Realistically I don't think I will get my car until September at the earliest.

For what it is worth, I don't think people ordering later are getting their cars earlier unless they are picking up cancelled orders.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: realroadrunner

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all, came across this forum as getting frustrated like everyone else with the ever changing build dates.

I ordered 22.12.21 with an initial build week 38, and now in limbo with nothing. They (Lings) have been very communicative without prompting but it’s evident they don’t know anything for sure so no sense pushing. Or is it? My current lease isn’t due up til November so for the time-being ok to wait anyway - I’ve got my heart set on the Tig now 🙄

Reassuring to see other December orders are coming in just 4 weeks over initial lead time…which would put me in week 42… 😬
I ordered 9th Dec 2021, the last communication was about a month ago to say unconfirmed BW 41. But this was before the Ukraine problems and the pause in production. So I imagine it’s at least +4 weeks on that at a minimum and it’s not even confirmed so could be 2023 at this rate by the time it’s delivered.

·
Registered
Allspace R line 245 Tsi 4motion DSG
2,332 Posts
Never had an issue before so didn’t see the harm this time! We run a fleet of work vehicles and have used them a number of times. Any reason as to why you feel that way? Thanks for the helpful input…! 😉
Don't worry too much. Lots and lots of 'opinions' on here lately. Not always justified, substantiated or well informed.
My ordered allspace in Feb was given a 52 week lead time so I built that into my plans. You should be able to extend the lease anyway if needed (depending on who the lease company is)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I ordered 9th Dec 2021, the last communication was about a month ago to say unconfirmed BW 41. But this was before the Ukraine problems and the pause in production. So I imagine it’s at least +4 weeks on that at a minimum and it’s not even confirmed so could be 2023 at this rate by the time it’s delivered.
Unless there is some turnaround, some sudden improvement, I think a 2023 delivery is likely for you.

I’m pretty much prepared that the lead times are now in excess of a year and I am now expecting my Aug 21 order to be in excess of 52 weeks. In fact, and this is just my personal theory, I’m half expecting VW to try and cancel my order - it is a high emission car so is not good for the EU targets that they have to meet, but more importantly by the time my order is fulfilled it will be based on a price that is around £5,000 less than the price at the time of delivery. That’s why I am holding on, even though I’m not happy with the delays, at the end of it I will end up with a car that retails at £42,000 that is based on a retail of £37,000 when I ordered.

If you think about it, VW have orders dating back to June 2021 that still haven’t been fulfilled. Over the last year VW have continued to take orders but the production lines have been running at a third of full capacity at best (one out of the three lines at Wolfsburg) and there have been a number of complete shutdowns (or pauses as they now like to say) - they have haven’t been clearing orders that they already have but are still making more - which means the backlog will be increasing.

You can see from the limited communications that VW send out that they are hoping for something to happen that is going to alleviate the problem - if you read back through their press releases they often say ”we are expecting the supply situation to improve in quarter x” but time and time again that has failed to happen.

I guess eventually, the supply issue (or whatever the problem is) will resolve and VW can fire up the three lines each working three shifts to eat into the backlog but no signs of that happening any time soon.

What does strike me as a little odd is all the other manufacturers are showing signs of improving, even for other VAG companies, but for VW the situation seems to worsen each day.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: nlc12

·
Registered
880 Posts
They’re probably prioritising the higher profit brands and just leave us common folk to deal with it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unless there is some turnaround, some sudden improvement, I think a 2023 delivery is likely for you.

I’m pretty much prepared that the lead times are now in excess of a year and I am now expecting my Aug 21 order to be in excess of 52 weeks. In fact, and this is just my personal theory, I’m half expecting VW to try and cancel my order - it is a high emission car so is not good for the EU targets that they have to meet, but more importantly by the time my order is fulfilled it will be based on a price that is around £5,000 less than the price at the time of delivery. That’s why I am holding on, even though I’m not happy with the delays, at the end of it I will end up with a car that retails at £42,000 that is based on a retail of £37,000 when I ordered.

If you think about it, VW have orders dating back to June 2021 that still haven’t been fulfilled. Over the last year VW have continued to take orders but the production lines have been running at a third of full capacity at best (one out of the three lines at Wolfsburg) and there have been a number of complete shutdowns (or pauses as they now like to say) - they have haven’t been clearing orders that they already have but are still making more - which means the backlog will be increasing.

You can see from the limited communications that VW send out that they are hoping for something to happen that is going to alleviate the problem - if you read back through their press releases they often say ”we are expecting the supply situation to improve in quarter x” but time and time again that has failed to happen.

I guess eventually, the supply issue (or whatever the problem is) will resolve and VW can fire up the three lines each working three shifts to eat into the backlog but no signs of that happening any time soon.

What does strike me as a little odd is all the other manufacturers are showing signs of improving, even for other VAG companies, but for VW the situation seems to worsen each day.

Cheers,

Nigel
You’re right… I was thinking it would be here by Xmas but now that’s looking like a pipe dream!

I’m not even expecting my dealer to ring and update me as I know the situation. I got the token letter on the nice thick paper from the “Head of UK” apologising and thanking for patience blah blah. I guess most people aren’t on this forum so probably are fairly oblivious to how bad it is.

It’s funny how they seem to have the worst delivery rates at present. The only reason people are persisting with putting new orders through are because the price of used cars are ridiculous. I would sack my order off if I could find a used one that was remotely a good price.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You’re right… I was thinking it would be here by Xmas but now that’s looking like a pipe dream!

I’m not even expecting my dealer to ring and update me as I know the situation. I got the token letter on the nice thick paper from the “Head of UK” apologising and thanking for patience blah blah. I guess most people aren’t on this forum so probably are fairly oblivious to how bad it is.

It’s funny how they seem to have the worst delivery rates at present. The only reason people are persisting with putting new orders through are because the price of used cars are ridiculous. I would sack my order off if I could find a used one that was remotely a good price.
Agreed on that! Currently it just doesn’t make sense to go used

Reactions: nlc12

·
Registered
697 Posts
The only reason people are persisting with putting new orders through are because the price of used cars are ridiculous. I would sack my order off if I could find a used one that was remotely a good price.
Spot on!

I feel like I have a ’tiger by the tail’, I want to let go but at the same time it would be stupid to let go.

Really not happy with the delays, nor the poor communications from VW, but the reality is that I have a mid-2021 order that is based on a list price that is thousands less than it is now, with a decent discount, with a decent VW contribution, with lower interest rate and with a good locked-in trade-in.

The nett price that I have in hand is at least £5000 less than I would get if I were to negotiate the exact same car today.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reactions: adamcovfan

·
Registered
21 Posts
How do you think it would be if you were to change the colour price wise seeing as the prices have increased?
I.e Going from free to a paid colour? Will I just end up paying the new pricing on the colour or would it affect my current agreement?

At the time of ordering I didn’t put too much thought into it. Being a PCP my aim was probably to trade it in after 2-3 years so I didn’t want to pay for anything extra except heated windscreen. I have that on my Focus and it’s the best feature ever but once they rang me to say you needed to pay a fortune for the wireless charge pad, I removed that option.
But at this rate I would probably have to pre order my next car the day I end up picking this one if a VW! 😂

So now how things are/getting closer to the 2030 on ban of fully ICE cars, I am thinking of looking to own this car outright and reassessing the electric/hybrid car situation nearer the time. Rather than bothering with another intermediate ICE car.
I can only see the value of used ICE cars remaining above normal as more and more manufacturers move away from offering any new ICE cars and the price of any new cars increasing with only expensive high spec models as standard.

I was looking at going full electric or another brand, but so many were PHEV only so that put me off and brought me to VW and the Tiguan specifically. I’m going for the Elegance so now my heart is set on all the standard features! I have tried speccing other brands like the Kia, but to have equivalent spec it was taking me way above the Tig price. So… we persist with waiting…

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got delivery of my Tiguan last Friday, and while waiting for the procedures e.t.c i asked the salesman, what would be the situation like if i ordered today. His answer was "minimum 10 months".

·
Registered
697 Posts
So now how things are/getting closer to the 2030 on ban of fully ICE cars, I am thinking of looking to own this car outright and reassessing the electric/hybrid car situation nearer the time. Rather than bothering with another intermediate ICE car.
I can only see the value of used ICE cars remaining above normal as more and more manufacturers move away from offering any new ICE cars and the price of any new cars increasing with only expensive high spec models as standard.
I think it is hard to predict what will happen. Personally I’m not convinced that the 2030 ban will happen - I expect it will either get deferred or watered down in some way (like diesel ban but petrol below certain emission allowed - just my thoughts). I also expect there will be a continued high demand for used petrol and diesel cars that are not subject to the ban.

Also note that Hybrids are not exempt from the ban, just a 5 year stay of execution - they get banned in 2035 (note that they were originally included in the 2030 ban).

Also there will be anomalies, not that the government have ever cared about those - for example, I suspect that the smallest petrol engined Corsa will be less harmful to the environment than a Hybrid Tiguan and yet one will be banned in 2030 and the other will not.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·

Hello!

I ordered on the 10th of Dec, 12 days before you, initially given week 28, then 32. However, it is unconfirmed and I’m expecting few more build week changes before getting a confirmed one.
So I’m expecting a October/December 2022 Delivery at this point. It’s a miracle if it happens quicker but who knows.

What variant and specs have you ordered, if you don’t mind me asking?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it is hard to predict what will happen. Personally I’m not convinced that the 2030 ban will happen - I expect it will either get deferred or watered down in some way (like diesel ban but petrol below certain emission allowed - just my thoughts). I also expect there will be a continued high demand for used petrol and diesel cars that are not subject to the ban.
oh I agree, I’m not convinced it will happen, but with many manufacturers like Volvo not offering any ICE options currently they are already shifting their new sales to electric/hybrid only. A few other new models by other brands are now being pushed as hybrid only with no ICE options. When I was looking at older articles on the best Tig alternatives it was limited when I came to look at those options.

I was considering electric before ordering the Tig, but upon further research the infrastructure was not there unless you have the ability to install a home point. Asking my local council on their plans to install public charging amounted to no plans to in the foreseeable. And fast charging is considered not to be done as your sole means as you wreck the battery.

So we wait ever so patiently for our Tigs!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Seeing this governments ability to U turn, a U turn that was already U turn.. I wouldn’t be surprised at anything

·
Registered
697 Posts
oh I agree, I’m not convinced it will happen, but with many manufacturers like Volvo not offering any ICE options currently they are already shifting their new sales to electric/hybrid only. A few other new models by other brands are now being pushed as hybrid only with no ICE options. When I was looking at older articles on the best Tig alternatives it was limited when I came to look at those options.

I was considering electric before ordering the Tig, but upon further research the infrastructure was not there unless you have the ability to install a home point. Asking my local council on their plans to install public charging amounted to no plans to in the foreseeable. And fast charging is considered not to be done as your sole means as you wreck the battery.

So we wait ever so patiently for our Tigs!
My wife has an EV which I drive a lot, so I feel qualified in being able to talk about the weaknesses without being branded a hater.

First I love driving her EV (Nissan Leaf), it is so smooth, quick and agile, no regrets about buying it.

But here are some of the weaknesses

1) Range lower than quoted. Nissan advertise that our Leaf 40 should have a 150 mile range. The reality is nothing like that - you really have to assume 120 miles if you don’t want to get caught out.
2) Electric drivetrains are very quick off the mark and very nimble at normal speeds but they begin to level off at 70mph. The Leaf will give any boy racer a run for their money off a standing start but once it gets up to 75/80 it really doesn’t want to go any faster. You could argue that driving at that speed is illegal, which is true, but not something that I am used to and it feels uncomfortable.
3) Range. Even if the range was as quoted it is still limiting. It is great around town and my wife’s commute to school but as soon as she wants to go any distance she begs to use my dirty diesel. There are two aspects to this, one the infrastructure and two the inconvenience. We haven’t used public chargers much but of the few we have tried we have experienced a high failure rate - I’d estimate at 15% - it is not reassuring to know that even if you could limp to a charger there is every chance you will find it not working. And even if it is working there is then the possibility that it is in use. And even if it isn’t she doesn’t want to interrupt her journey by an hour to charge the battery.
4) Motorways. Specifically, driving at fast speeds, so typically on motorways and dual-carriageways but not just limited to them. The Nissan Leaf, and I believe this is a more general EV thing, does not like driving at high speeds, the battery consumption shoots up and the range plummets. You can say the same for ICE, economy is best at 56mph but the difference is much more marked with EVs. It has even changed the way in which my wife drives. The town I live in is typical of many with a fast dual carriageway around it. To get to Tesco, I will jump on the wring road, blast round and then off to the supermarket - less than 5 minutes. My wife won’t do that anymore, she will drive through the local roads avoiding the dual carriageway altogether and it will take her 10 minutes. Thing is, you can really see the difference in the percentage of battery used, it’s not like a slight difference, using the local roads uses half the energy compared with using the dual carriageway. And before anyone says, the distances are about the same, in fact the dual carriageway is ever so slightly shorter. So in summary, advertised range is 150 miles, actual in summer is more like 120, actual in winter more like 100 and motorway driving more like 70.

The technology will get there eventually and it is very nice but I think we are a fair way off having an infrastructure that is good enough.

Last week there was a BBC article proudly claiming that there are now more charge points then petrol pumps. They failed to mention that this included private charge points like the one on my house, they glossed over how many were actually working, how many were the low capacity ones and more importantly the comparison between a fuel pump and a charge point - for example, a single fuel pump can refill maybe 30 cars each hour whereas an electric charge point can only charge 1 car per hour.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm a bit like Nigel, in that part of me wants to cancel the order and go elsewhere, but part of me is saying that I "could" end up with a Tiguan at a bargain price due to the 2021 prices negotiated. However my real fear is that even if the car is built and delivered to the UK in say late Autumn this year, even though my order is supposedly price protected, who knows if VW will renege on that and try to charge more at collection time and remove the deposit contribution, and secondly that my heavy spec'd car (see my sig), will arrive a shadow of what I ordered as VW remove options from the car due to shortages.

If the car happens, this will be our 12th VW in a row and certainly the one that leaves the worst taste in my mouth and has certainly not been a pleasurable experience, and will no doubt be my last ever car from the VAG stable.

161 - 180 of 223 Posts