Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tiguan has the Vienna black leather upholstery. I know it's only 7 months old but I am keen to keep it looking it's best. Do other owners have any recommendations for a cleaner/preserver for the type of leather used in the car?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've used Gliptone cleaner and also their conditioner on my other cars. Great product, works well

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've used Autoglym leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats in my last two cars. And if my Tiguan ever arrives ......... I'll use on the leather seats.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
Keep a pack of baby wipes in the car, you'd be amazed at how they shift the grime on leather seats.
If it's good enough for a baby's ar*e, then it's good enough for our seats :lol:

Steve

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good shout Essjay then follow up with Autoglym leather treatment. On the seats that is not the baby's ar#s :lol:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just done mine with the leather kit I got with my 3 piece suite. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have previously used Autoglym products and occasionally Meguiars and found them to be good.
Tempted to try the Autoglym leather cleaner and leather conditioner. Not sure about the baby wipes though!
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before I start treating the leather upholstery- I know some of the bits you don't sit on are either fabric or faux leather, but does anyone know what the material is on the insides of the doors? It looks like faux (imitation) leather so obviously does not need treating.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Was informed by vw chat that only seat (where your bum sits) and where your back rests are leather. Everything else is fake or faux if you prefer.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's as I suspected. Thanks beagler.
Seems a bit mean to charge 1500 quid to upgrade to leather and half of it's fake!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the end I researched and went for Hartside's recommendation of the Gliptone products.
I used their GT12 cleaner and GT11 conditioner (approx £15 for a twin pack on [email protected]) with good results.
It soaked in and the surface stayed matt. The car smells of new leather now!
The manufacturer reckons it should be conditioned at least three times a year to keep it at it's best.

·
Registered
555 Posts
niggly58 said:
In the end I researched and went for Hartside's recommendation of the Gliptone products.
I used their GT12 cleaner and GT11 conditioner (approx £15 for a twin pack on [email protected]) with good results.
It soaked in and the surface stayed matt. The car smells of new leather now!
The manufacturer reckons it should be conditioned at least three times a year to keep it at it's best.
Pleased you like it, it's a really good product.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The passenger seat in my Tiguan seems to be very far forward.

Does anyone else with leather upholstery find the front passenger sear to have limited footwell space even when the the seat is as far back as it will go?

·
Registered
238 Posts
niggly58 said:
That's as I suspected. Thanks beagler.
Seems a bit mean to charge 1500 quid to upgrade to leather and half of it's fake!
"Faux" its been that way with VW for many years; a lot of money for not a lot of quite cheap and nasty "leather".
VW is not really a premium brand like BMW or Jag is it?
The "leather" hasn't proven to be very durable in my Golf, so worth looking after.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts