Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 USB type C memory sticks - USB-1 has a folder with an audio book on it split into chapters . Its in MP3 Format.
The other has many folders full of MP3 Music. When I'm listening to the book lets say I reach 50% way into Chapter 17.
I then fancy a listen to some music . I select USB-2 listen to my music then swap back to USB-1 - Which has lost the place and wants to start at chapter 1 again. :?

This used to work fine in my previous 68 plate Tiguan.

Anyone heard of this happening. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Mac.....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You don't mention what your current tig is, but i'm guessing you may have the the latest incarnation of the media unit, MIB3. There's not a lot of information on this unit, but it does many things differently from the version before. So it may not be you, but your head unit.

Biggest giveaway for the MIB3 is the short white bar centre screen above the clock and icons line.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There was some talk on here that suggested reformatting the usb stick as exFat (rather than fat32) helped with this issue.
Only what I've read, can't back that up personally - not got my car yet to test.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I believe it is a MIB3 - I have bought a proper USB-C type drive and formatted it as ExFAt - still skips to the beginning either over a Ignition reset or swapping between Radio/other USB-C port

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's disappointing really. This is the same behaviour I experienced in my 2015 Passat (with Discover Pro) and I would have expected VW to have sorted it out by now! We currently have a Mini Countryman and it's media system handles things in a vastly superior way, never forgetting where you were and starts instantly the ignition is turned on. I was kind of hoping VW would have caught up and my Tiguan would be the same. The more I read on here the more my expectations are lowering….

·
Registered
Allspace R line 245 Tsi 4motion DSG
2,404 Posts
CUK said:
It's disappointing really. This is the same behaviour I experienced in my 2015 Passat (with Discover Pro) and I would have expected VW to have sorted it out by now! We currently have a Mini Countryman and it's media system handles things in a vastly superior way, never forgetting where you were and starts instantly the ignition is turned on. I was kind of hoping VW would have caught up and my Tiguan would be the same. The more I read on here the more my expectations are lowering….
It's a shame as the SD card handling of the pre-facelift is impeccable IMO.
I'm pretty damned sure that when I took the 128Gb card out of my SE-Nav and put it into my R Line Tech, it actually picked up the last song I was playing.
Can't imagine what VW were thinking in removing the slots

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the latest from my dealer is that the USB-C sticks issue (ie the skipping back to the 1st MP3 track) is working as designed. My car passed the EVHC check and has the latest levels of Software.
I find this so so poor. My previous Tiguan had no problem with this. My wifes lowly Ford has no problem with this.
The , pretty poor excuse in my mind, is that as these are external devices that may have corruption on them or have tracks with illegal characters embedded in the name i.e a - or # or some such nonsense then they may well skip back. Total rubbish I reckon. Trying to fob me off.
I was advised to play the audio books over the Car Net App?? - through my Mobile - Something that I turned off as it was a PITA.

Not Happy about this.

Mac.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
That's the lowest cop out of ANY developer/Support bod where customer service is impacted. WAD - Working as Designed.
i.e. we coded it based on what the designer asked for, NOT what the customer wants.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's the same with an iPod Touch connected via USB C. Have given up trying to figure it out now and will just use my phone connected via Bluetooth. Yes, this is probably the most efficient way to listen to music, but it's annoying we now don't have a choice of methods.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi again,

I had problems with a USB-C SD card reader, in actual fact 2 different USB-C models not being recognised at all and was getting frustrated my car music would have to be streamed from my phone. When on a final last ditched go, I inserting the card reader with the SD card in it, a message came up on the infotainment screen for a fleeting second. I had missed it up to now. See photo. It would appear the 'new' card reader was a USB 2 device, where as now having purchased a USB 3 device it is recognised and works fine. This problem may be far reaching for older devices of all types perhaps.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Audio equipment Personal luxury car

• Helpful
Reactions: mrew42

·
Registered
142 Posts
Circuit component Adapter Adapter Electronic component Ac adapter

Reactions: mrew42

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am using a 32gb usb 3. Flash drive with a small length cable which has usb one end and c other. I am able to easily remove drive and add files leaving cable in place. So far must have over 500 tracks stored, played at random and always restarts from stopping place.
Never bothered doing the above on previous 2019 r line. Carried a dozen CDs around and very rarely used. Stuck with radio easy.
The newer car has transformed our listening and with the upgraded sound system, 190 engine has completely improved the experience.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I just bought these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09DPDL39Z for £6.99 (for 2)

So far, seems to be ok with my 512Gb sandisk ultra card. Also hasn't interfered with the Pixel 6 Pro in the way either.
So, does this keep the position when playing MP3/WMA music files?

At the moment I'm using a USB stick plugged into an A to C converter and at first it always continued playback from where I had left off but, like others on here, it has now decided to keep going back to the first file. It seems to do this when locking and unlocking the car as simply switching off the ignition and then re-inserting the key and switching on the infotainment screen it will indeed continue where it left off.

My old Passat with an SD Card stays exactly where I've left off unless I physically remove the card and then it goes back to the beginning - that though has a maximum capacity of 32GB. Not sure I'd need 512GB as my entire CD collection on my laptop is about 60GB.

·
Registered
540 Posts

At the moment I'm using a USB stick plugged into an A to C converter and at first it always continued playback from where I had left off but, like others on here, it has now decided to keep going back to the first file. It seems to do this when locking and unlocking the car as simply switching off the ignition and then re-inserting the key and switching on the infotainment screen it will indeed continue where it left off.

My old Passat with an SD Card stays exactly where I've left off unless I physically remove the card and then it goes back to the beginning - that though has a maximum capacity of 32GB. Not sure I'd need 512GB as my entire CD collection on my laptop is about 60GB.
I also had the same issue until I changed to native usb-c drives. I tried multiple USB-C to USB-A adapters and different memory sticks but they all had the problem. Since the change (to USB-C) it’s been faultless. I would add that I bought a second stick (different to the first) to store a different, curated batch of music files and that one has exhibited the same issue. So, in short, my advice would be to buy good quality, branded, USB-C drives and you should be fine.

Reactions: A1VWD

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I also had the same issue until I changed to native usb-c drives. I tried multiple USB-C to USB-A adapters and different memory sticks but they all had the problem. Since the change (to USB-C) it’s been faultless. I would add that I bought a second stick (different to the first) to store a different, curated batch of music files and that one has exhibited the same issue. So, in short, my advice would be to buy good quality, branded, USB-C drives and you should be fine.
Yes, thanks for that. I had thought I'd got away with as at first it played where I'd left off but now it keeps going back to the beginning. I will indeed see if I can buy a top quality USB-C drive.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

Has kept place so far. just need to disconnect/block the over bright blue LED that flashes non stop ah n it has any power.
I had a 512Gb in the sd slot in the last Tig and my Music is stored FLAC, so needs more space 👍

Reactions: A1VWD
1 - 19 of 19 Posts