Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
5 - 10 years? No chance and no way would I even sit inside such a vehicle being used on public roads especially in wintry conditions, on country lanes or even motorways at 70mph! Just one serious accident and it will be put back another 10 years and so on until the costs will simply become totally unviable.
People said the same thing about aircraft and cars back in the day. History is full of inventions that people declared wouldn't work or would be 'unsafe'. Technology always wins in the end.

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
Germany is a very unique case. Manufacturers don't make cars that can travel at over 70mph to satisfy the German market. The OPS nonsensical argument is that speed limiters will destroy performance cars. Its clearly nonsense because drivers don't routinely drive their car at the top speed the car will do.
I have concerns about limiters and the speedlimits being too low in some circumstances but we need a sensible debate.
Your own view.

I am sure if you ask someone who owns a Supercar they may differ from your own personal view.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My post also said that the UK has one of the lowest motorway speed limits in Europe.

So that is why they can’t simply make cars that can’t go more than 70 mph.

Cheers,

Nigel
Nigel I'm not really following your point. My view is that performance cars will always exist, speed limiters will not stop them being built.

·
Registered
340 Posts
People said the same thing about aircraft and cars back in the day. History is full of inventions that people declared wouldn't work or would be 'unsafe'. Technology always wins in the end.
When aircraft and cars were being invented there were none already in existence. There are currently around 33 million cars on UK roads so unless you intend to remove them all and replace each one with autonomous technology at a price that everyone can afford again it is simply not viable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When aircraft and cars were being invented there were none already in existence. There are currently around 33 million cars on UK roads so unless you intend to remove them all and replace each one with autonomous technology at a price that everyone can afford again it is simply not viable.
Are you seriously trying to argue that autonomous cars can only operate where there are no human operated cars? I think you don't really grasp how self driving cars work. Are you seriously tyring to say that EVERY major manufacturer has failed to spot an issue that you have? This like the people who were telling us 10 years ago that electric cars would never catch on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Are you seriously trying to argue that autonomous cars can only operate where there are no human operated cars? I think you don't really grasp how self driving cars work. Are you seriously tyring to say that EVERY major manufacturer has failed to spot an issue that you have? This like the people who were telling us 10 years ago that electric cars would never catch on.
You clearly miss the point every time and come back with something irrelevant. You can live in your dream world but I am a realist. So what happened to the flying cars that were promised or did you miss that one? Yes, there will always be prototypes of anything but the practicalities of these far-fetched ideas proved to be fruitless. And as for electric cars they can't even make enough ICE vehicles due to the semiconductor shortages so good luck trying to build autonomous cars with even more computer chips and sensors. There isn't yet even a reliable re-charging infrastructure.

I think you will find that "EVERY major manufacturer" is over-promising simply to advertise the fact that their cars are better than anyone else's. Even the so-called self-driving Tesla now admit that it is not autonomous. And what about Ford predicting that by 2021 they would have driverless cars without a steering wheel. Well, we are still waiting......

·
Registered
153 Posts
You clearly miss the point every time and come back with something irrelevant. You can live in your dream world but I am a realist. So what happened to the flying cars that were promised or did you miss that one? Yes, there will always be prototypes of anything but the practicalities of these far-fetched ideas proved to be fruitless. And as for electric cars they can't even make enough ICE vehicles due to the semiconductor shortages so good luck trying to build autonomous cars with even more computer chips and sensors. There isn't yet even a reliable re-charging infrastructure.

I think you will find that "EVERY major manufacturer" is over-promising simply to advertise the fact that their cars are better than anyone else's. Even the so-called self-driving Tesla now admit that it is not autonomous. And what about Ford predicting that by 2021 they would have driverless cars without a steering wheel. Well, we are still waiting......
Calm down dude it's literally just a car forum.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Calm down dude it's literally just a car forum.
I don't need to calm down as I was simply countering your argument - all good fun on a wet miserable Sunday afternoon!

·
Registered
188 Posts
We already have a supposed autonomous transportation system in That Lundun, the DLR or Docklands Light Railway. It has no driver, as such. There is no drivers cab. I have been told by somebody that worked on the Underground network for many, many years that the DLR's autonomy is over ridden somewhere on the network on an almost hourly basis by control, or the DLR employee onboard that checks tickets. He has the ability to over ride the system should there be an issue. In other words, they don't trust it to work properly. Personally, I won't use it unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We already have a supposed autonomous transportation system in That Lundun, the DLR or Docklands Light Railway. It has no driver, as such. There is no drivers cab. I have been told by somebody that worked on the Underground network for many, many years that the DLR's autonomy is over ridden somewhere on the network on an almost hourly basis by control, or the DLR employee onboard that checks tickets. He has the ability to over ride the system should there be an issue. In other words, they don't trust it to work properly. Personally, I won't use it unless absolutely necessary.
The DLR isn't an 'autonomous' vehicle they are driverless, which is a different thing and will require human intervention where an autonomous vehicle wouldn't. Clearly there isn't the space here to explain the system, you can easily Google it. However the 1st 'driverless' underground line was introduced in 1968

I appreciate you don't feel safe but the DLR isn't autonomous being only level 3. Autonomy however is coming.

·
Registered
20 Posts
However the 1st 'driverless' underground line was introduced in 1968
Ah, the Victoria Line. My dad was a lead Engineer on that construction project and as a 9 year old lad I got to 'drive' one of the trains before the line opened - which consisted of pressing two buttons to start the train from the station. I still remember swooping through the pristine white concrete tunnels. One of my best childhood memories!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just a few points on the speed limiter

1. "GPS data sets the speed" - well my Tig's speed base data has been wrong for years;
    1. So who will be responsible for the database and its implementation across multiple corporations, regulatory jurisdictions, countries and how will it be funded.
  2. "The camera adjusts the speed based on signs" - many signs around here are overgrown so never get picked up & even if picked up the corrupt VW database changes the speed at the next sector
    1. So who ensures signs are visible and take precedence over the database
  3. If implemented you can never be prosecuted for speeding in an unmodified car or can you?
    1. Where will the liability fall - the driver, owner, garage or manufacturer or the database &/or software provider?
  4. Who is responsible if your car is on a road limited to 30mph and you "floor" the throttle to 30 mph and crash going around a bend that is realistically only achievable at 10mph
    1. You because you failed to take care
    2. The database owners because they failed to inform you
    3. The local council because they failed to set the correct speed
  5. What will UK Councils/Cops, who are "reputed" to set speed limits to gain revenue, do to get lost income
    1. I simply hate to think of this one
  6. Will speed limits be set by kinetics or hysterics e.g.
    1. pressure group agendas become the "norm" (my guess is 10mph UK National limit for cyclist safety)
    2. A Tig has a fairly short stopping distance compared to a 25 te truck both travelling at 30 mph - will trucks/builders vans etc be limited to 5 mph; what about the congestion
Add to this the UK is no longer in the EU and this bunch of questions (and many more) has to get past Parliament - my guess is that we will get an annoying alarm if we are considered to be speeding.

Cheers
Earl

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
A very interesting set of questions Earl, and the probable answers for them would appear to suggest that the gps speed limiters will more than likely remain a driver ‘aid’ rather than a compulsory setting.

Steve

Reactions: Earl_H

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If you listen to Rory's piece in post 12, so many of the rules have not actually been decided on yet. Yet the implementation is going ahead!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just a few points on the speed limiter

1. "GPS data sets the speed" - well my Tig's speed base data has been wrong for years;
    1. So who will be responsible for the database and its implementation across multiple corporations, regulatory jurisdictions, countries and how will it be funded.
  2. "The camera adjusts the speed based on signs" - many signs around here are overgrown so never get picked up & even if picked up the corrupt VW database changes the speed at the next sector
    1. So who ensures signs are visible and take precedence over the database
  3. If implemented you can never be prosecuted for speeding in an unmodified car or can you?
    1. Where will the liability fall - the driver, owner, garage or manufacturer or the database &/or software provider?
  4. Who is responsible if your car is on a road limited to 30mph and you "floor" the throttle to 30 mph and crash going around a bend that is realistically only achievable at 10mph
    1. You because you failed to take care
    2. The database owners because they failed to inform you
    3. The local council because they failed to set the correct speed
  5. What will UK Councils/Cops, who are "reputed" to set speed limits to gain revenue, do to get lost income
    1. I simply hate to think of this one
  6. Will speed limits be set by kinetics or hysterics e.g.
    1. pressure group agendas become the "norm" (my guess is 10mph UK National limit for cyclist safety)
    2. A Tig has a fairly short stopping distance compared to a 25 te truck both travelling at 30 mph - will trucks/builders vans etc be limited to 5 mph; what about the congestion
Add to this the UK is no longer in the EU and this bunch of questions (and many more) has to get past Parliament - my guess is that we will get an annoying alarm if we are considered to be speeding.

Cheers
Earl
The data bases are run by private companies. The local Authority and Highways England are responsible for ensuring signs are kept legible - if the owner of the vegetation covering the signs won't cut it, they do and bill the owner. If you drive around a bend signposted at 30mph and crash, it's your fault as it currently is - you have to drive appropriately for the conditions - a speed limit is just that, not a target. Lost revenue can be reclaimed by increasing taxes. Speed limits will continue to be set as they currently are.

I'll have to look into the last point and see if its legislation but none of the points you made will prevent speed limiters coming in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A very interesting set of questions Earl, and the probable answers for them would appear to suggest that the gps speed limiters will more than likely remain a driver ‘aid’ rather than a compulsory setting.

Steve
This link clarifies a lot of the answers Intelligent speed adaptation - Wikipedia

I think the legislation may already be passed but there's not a lot of info out there and the actual legislation is going to take too long to read to see if its passed into law.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
The local Authority and Highways England are responsible for ensuring signs are kept legible - if the owner of the vegetation covering the signs won't cut it, they do and bill the owner.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry but around where i live the council or highways do not clear trees on bushes on their own land and signs are unreadable.

So when are they going to in your words, cut the vegetation back.

Or should I do it and bill them. ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry but around where i live the council or highways do not clear trees on bushes on their own land and signs are unreadable.

So when are they going to in your words, cut the vegetation back.

Or should I do it and bill them. ;)
Then if you are caught speeding you have a reasonable defence if the signs were overgrown Where I live there I'd a website for reporting obscured signs.
If you live an badly run council area then yes speed signs may be obscured and the car will remain set to the last speed limit sign it passed (assuming there was no GPS fitted).

41 - 60 of 87 Posts