Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Actually @Jon1972 they are already here
  1. My 2017 Tig has the visual/audio speed warning (user selectable) so I suspect all of us have this function fitted
  2. Even my old 20 year old SAAB had one (but very limited in scope - only pinged at 70mph)

I assume you have read the Regs - but for those with a life....

You can see (in the "whereas" section that sets the objective of the regulation and moderates the bulk of the requirements) - what you can see is that there is a good degree of uncertainty about the concept and how to implement it so the EU see an initial stage to Dec 2025 for "data collection" for "different feedback methodologies" and this data collection has to be by "voluntary arrangements directly with end-users". It also identifies the issues discussed by many on this thread

The key is Article 4 (I must admit this is the shortest reg I've ever read, for me they are usually 60 to 200 pages long)

Information on the use of intelligent speed assistance systems

1. Vehicle manufacturers shall provide the approval authorities granting type-approvals pursuant to this Regulation with the following information:

(a)ratios of the time driven or the distances that are travelled with the intelligent speed assistance systems switched on and switched off;
(b)ratios of the time driven or the distances that are travelled with the perceived speed limits being observed and being overridden, respectively;
(c)the average time elapsed between the switch-on and the switch-off of the intelligent speed assistance system by the driver, when applicable;
The information referred to in subparagraph (a), shall be provided separately for the cascaded acoustic warning function, the cascaded vibrating warning function, the haptic feedback function and the speed control function.
2. The approval authorities shall aggregate the information received in accordance with paragraph 1 and provide it to the Commission on 7 July 2024 and at least every 6 months thereafter for a period of two years.

In short - drivers will be able to switch (as now) this function off and manufacturers will have to ask to record peoples data

·
Registered
340 Posts
Clearly Volvo hasn't gotten memo that autonomous driving doesn't work. Volvo announces autonomous Ride Pilot system for all-new XC90 | Auto Express
That is only up to Level 3 and then only being tested in California assuming they get approval.

Quote:
Ride Pilot is what the Society of Automotive Engineers would define as a Level 3 autonomous system, in which the driver’s supervision is not required in a highly controlled setting, like on certain mapped highways. But in Level 3 systems, the driver still needs to be ready to take control at a moment’s notice, leaving it somewhat in a nebulous zone between Level 2 advanced driver assist systems, like Tesla’s Autopilot, and fully driverless vehicles, like Waymo’s autonomous taxi service in Phoenix, Arizona.

I still maintain that autonomous driverless cars at Level 5 are still many years away from being used on UK roads and certainly not within 5-10 years as you seem to think. In 30 years time possibly, or maybe when transport as we know it today no longer relies on individuals owning their own vehicles - who knows teletransporting perhaps!

·
Registered
153 Posts
That is only up to Level 3 and then only being tested in California assuming they get approval.

Quote:
Ride Pilot is what the Society of Automotive Engineers would define as a Level 3 autonomous system, in which the driver’s supervision is not required in a highly controlled setting, like on certain mapped highways. But in Level 3 systems, the driver still needs to be ready to take control at a moment’s notice, leaving it somewhat in a nebulous zone between Level 2 advanced driver assist systems, like Tesla’s Autopilot, and fully driverless vehicles, like Waymo’s autonomous taxi service in Phoenix, Arizona.

I still maintain that autonomous driverless cars at Level 5 are still many years away from being used on UK roads and certainly not within 5-10 years as you seem to think. In 30 years time possibly, or maybe when transport as we know it today no longer relies on individuals owning their own vehicles - who knows teletransporting perhaps!
Dont think I ever said level 5 is here in 5 -10 years. Level 3 eyes off hands off is probably more where I was thinking in the near future and level 4 into later in the decade Self-driving cars: Autonomous driving levels explained

·
Registered
600 Posts
Taken from the Mirror….

New cars will be fitted with speed limiters from July 6th 2022 to improve road safety.

The Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) black boxes will use GPS to work out what the speed limit is and will then ensure the car doesn't break it.

A new regulation will be imposed by the European Commission in the General Safety Regulation having been approved by the European Parliament in 2019 .

ISAs will be mandatory for all new models given 'type approval' from 6 July. This means any new car brought to market from that date, rather than new cars already in production
.”

Obviously this isn’t going to affect current Tiguans or indeed those who are waiting for new ones to be built, but it looks very much like the upcoming Mk3 Tiguan will be built with a compulsory GPS controlled speed limiter (ISA).

Steve
The system is not accurate enough for roads and often sees the speed limit as slower than it actually is! this is going to just hard break the car for the wrong reason and cause accidents.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dont think I ever said level 5 is here in 5 -10 years. Level 3 eyes off hands off is probably more where I was thinking in the near future and level 4 into later in the decade Self-driving cars: Autonomous driving levels explained
You clearly stated that "fully autonomous cars, vans and lorries" were coming and reckoned this to be 5-10 years. To be fully autonomous means without a driver and that is Level 5 and indeed the article above confirms this. Several times I replied here stating that this would not happen in 5-10 years pointing out the implications and several times you referred to the doubts people had with regard to new inventions. At no time did you state that you only meant vehicles up to Level 3 which so far have only been tested with prototypes.

Anyway, the experts reckon Level 5 is more like 30 years away as the leap from Level 4 to 5 will be huge. The sheer processing power will be far greater that what we have now requiring sensors and infallible software to ensure the safety of the occupants, other road users and pedestrians. Yes, there will be autonomous prototypes but a fully self-driving car classified at Level 5 does not currently exist.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts