Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Weird though as it states "you will need a usb-c stick..." when doing the update.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had enough of the current map. The constant fighting between the speed sign recognition vs. the incorrect satnav speed info is distracting and annoying. I'm rolling back to the original version that came with the car. Reading that this isn't a new issue and that VW still don't seem to acknowledge or fix is quite disappointing.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Same link as I've got saved, but giving same message. Advanced gives "This server could not prove that it is app-connect.volkswagen.com; its security certificate expired in the last day."

Looks like VW failed to renew their certificate for the site.

If you carry on you get this anyway, so the site's broken.

This page isn't working at the moment
app-connect.volkswagen.com can't currently handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

·
Registered
168 Posts
Same link as I've got saved, but giving same message. Advanced gives "This server could not prove that it is app-connect.volkswagen.com; its security certificate expired in the last day."

Looks like VW failed to renew their certificate for the site.

If you carry on you get this anyway, so the site's broken.

This page isn't working at the moment
app-connect.volkswagen.com can't currently handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500
Ah, not just me then. Thought it may be because I'm on a Mac

·
Registered
907 Posts
They could update it every week and I wouldn’t care. Have given it more chances than I should to prove itself and have concluded that it is utter cr*p. Waze, G Maps and even Apple Maps on CarPlay at their worst are ten times better.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
They could update it every week and I wouldn’t care. Have given it more chances than I should to prove itself and have concluded that it is utter cr*p. Waze, G Maps and even Apple Maps on CarPlay at their worst are ten times better.
In total agreement. If you have an iPhone, then using any of the other far superior nav apps on Carplay is simply a no-brainer (can’t vouch for Android Auto). Why VW persist with such a [email protected] system is baffling.

Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
Admittedly I’ve not had the car long, but so far I’ve found the satnav to be absolutely fine. No misdirections, live traffic updates (care of TomTom I’ve been told) and clear instructions. I’ve used Google maps via CarPlay and see no real benefit to using it - so far. I may just be lucky and only travelled to ‘easy’ routes for it but so far, no problems.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
In total agreement. If you have an iPhone, then using any of the other far superior nav apps on Carplay is simply a no-brainer (can’t vouch for Android Auto). Why VW persist with such a [email protected] system is baffling.

Steve
I can vouch for Android
Evan @Tammma can now, too 👍

·
Registered
168 Posts
Admittedly I’ve not had the car long, but so far I’ve found the satnav to be absolutely fine. No misdirections, live traffic updates (care of TomTom I’ve been told) and clear instructions. I’ve used Google maps via CarPlay and see no real benefit to using it - so far. I may just be lucky and only travelled to ‘easy’ routes for it but so far, no problems.
Totally agree, I've had no issues at all with the native satnav.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I can vouch for Android
Evan @Tammma can now, too 👍
lol @mrew42

I have been moving house recently and have been doing a regular route through quite congested roads. I can tell you that google maps live traffic poos all over VW satnav.

VW is good, but has a habit of routing me past every school imaginable during school pickup hour. Thanks but no thanks. I still chop and change between both, because I do like the in dash map display.

It now depends on the conditions/route I am driving and I will use either VW or android depending on what I am doing. Horses for courses.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well on the occasions I have used the VW nav it’s been fine mostly but it’s routed me wrongly involving a U turn a number of times, basic address search is hit & miss, the POI speed cameras you can install are useless as it will beep whether they are on your side of the road or not and only once you’re on them. The motorway junction direction diagram is very basic and not a lot of help, nowhere near as good as the 3rd party ones which are almost like photos. When you’ve experienced Waze that’s community based in that real time reports such as debris on road ahead or car stopped on side of road ahead or police reported ahead etc then it’s very hard to go back but I just find them all so much better to use with their clearer interface. Saying that though, if I didn’t have CarPlay to use them with, I wouldn’t put the phone in a holder I would persevere with VW’s. Just my personal choice and as someone’s already said, “horses for courses”

Reactions: Tammma
21 - 36 of 36 Posts