Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum, but have already read lots of useful information, as I am considering buying a Mk2 150 or 190 Diesel Tiguan to tow my caravan with. The brochures I have seen, show the kerb weight as a range, rather than an actual weight for each model, and dealers dont seem to appreciate the importance of why caravanners need it.

Therefore I would appreciate if people could have a look at their V5 document and post what the 'Mass in Service' weight is for both manual and DSG diesels are. Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This is for SEL 190ps lagerorwine....and welcome to the forum :) Good towing weight, but I have yet to tow myself...roll on April ;) :)
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi lagerorwine
You certainly sound like my sort of caravaner!
I have a 150 se auto 4 motion - mass in service of 1673, max mass 2320.
This is first auto I have owned, really effortless towing. Had mk1 before, mk2 far superior IMO.
Current van around 1450 so close to 85% measurement.
Hope this helps, if you need further info just ask.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stumpy, thanks for the picture, if you wouldn't mind checking the V5 also, that would be great, as I can compare the 190 SEL to values provided by Roy.

Roy, thanks for the information. My Swift happens to be 1453KG, and like you, I haven't had an auto before, so can I ask - is 150 powerful enough for serious hills (I go through the Pyrenees on way back from Spain), and have you had any issues with the DSG being slow to react, or selecting the wrong gear (as some have suggested)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Sorry lagerorwine..been out all day, so was not able to look at my V5 till now.....

mass in service is 1723
max permissible mass 2320
I've also a swift but hoping to change to the swift challenger 580 soon

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stumpy, thanks for adding the V5 info. Very useful. I assume that the extra 50kg over the 150 Se, is mainly a result of the extra kit on the SEL model and those desireable extras you have added (rather than whatever is needed for the extra power). Just test driven a new X-trail, as there's 15% off via the Caravanclub and a free towbar, but not convinced it was the equal of the Tiguan I drove a few weeks ago. Pity the Caravanclub can't negiotiate 15% off the Tiguan with a free towbar!

·
Registered
627 Posts
lagerofwine - go on carwow and choose your car, add on what you want added on and see what discounts you end up getting offered on there - its surprising how good some discounts on there really are.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Lagerorwine
I have not encountered any issues with towing with the 150. Since getting the mk2 last September have towed the van on 6 occasions. Just come back from Norfolk today. The auto box reacts quickly and a push of the accelerator soon drops a gear if needed.
The 190 is obviously the quicker car but I believe both vehicles are reasonable similar when it comes to max torque/revs.
I can't comment about serious hills?? or should I say mountains - don't get to many of them in east Anglia. But got a few slopes on the a14 and no probs passing HGVs.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roy, your experience with the 150 is good to know. The 2017 towcar awards was won by a VW Passat estate with a 150 engine, so I did think it should be ok. The reason I'm torn between the 150 and 190, is that my current 2.2 TDCi Mondeo is 155PS with 360/400Nm of torque and pulls very well from 1500rpm. Its a pity you cant hitch the caravan on for a test drive|

1 - 9 of 9 Posts