Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just joined and said 'hello' over in the intro part of the forum. Hello here as well :)

I don't have my Tiguan yet but it'll be a new SEL. I've got a couple of questions.

I've noticed that the car only has one USB socket and it's not in a cubby hole that you can close. For this reason, it's not possible to plug your phone in to use all the cool features (Spotify via CarPlay etc) with the phone being 'legal' because it's just floating in that spacey bit on the dash (unless I am misunderstanding the new rules?). I don't fancy 6 points and I'm sure others don't so are you all installing brackets or buying zipped up cases to put the phone in that still allow charging?

Currently, I'm using an aging 160Gig iPod classic for my music and I Bluetooth Spotify from an iPhone. With the Tig, I'm planning on using Spotify via CarPlay and replacing the iPod with the SD Card slots. So my question is 'what's the maximum size of SD card you can use?' I know there are two slots but I guess you tell it that source is sd1 or sd2? So I guess I could put A-M artists on one card and the rest on the other but I'd rather get a hoofing great card if the car will 'see' it and put them all in one place.

Gary

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't have my car yet but from what I have read.

Max SD card size I don't know - however Discover only sees maximum 1000 items (files / folders). Therefore you may get away with a 16gb SD card to fit approx. 1000 music files on of decent quality.

If you don't touch your phone / interact directly with phone then I believe it is ok plugged in and left down in the cubby hole where the usb slot is.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-use-your-mobile-phone-9963123.amp

·
Registered
239 Posts
Gary_W said:
Hi,

I've just joined and said 'hello' over in the intro part of the forum. Hello here as well :)

I don't have my Tiguan yet but it'll be a new SEL. I've got a couple of questions.

I've noticed that the car only has one USB socket and it's not in a cubby hole that you can close. For this reason, it's not possible to plug your phone in to use all the cool features (Spotify via CarPlay etc) with the phone being 'legal' because it's just floating in that spacey bit on the dash (unless I am misunderstanding the new rules?). I don't fancy 6 points and I'm sure others don't so are you all installing brackets or buying zipped up cases to put the phone in that still allow charging?

Currently, I'm using an aging 160Gig iPod classic for my music and I Bluetooth Spotify from an iPhone. With the Tig, I'm planning on using Spotify via CarPlay and replacing the iPod with the SD Card slots. So my question is 'what's the maximum size of SD card you can use?' I know there are two slots but I guess you tell it that source is sd1 or sd2? So I guess I could put A-M artists on one card and the rest on the other but I'd rather get a hoofing great card if the car will 'see' it and put them all in one place.

Gary
Morning Gary_W,

There is a small storage net attached to the centre console on the passenger side that is quite suitable for storing a mobile phone when connected by USB. Hopefully Apple will produce an update in the near future so Apple CarPlay will work via bluetooth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same thoughts when I purchased my Tig. What I did was run the iPod cable and phone cable along the centre console and place both into the arm rest compartment. The wires I have then put into a cable tidy clips along the console so it sits nicely out of the way

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
SD cards been mentioned elsewhere in here, will take at least 32gb, (got a 32gb in the composition media in my misses Polo) maybe 64gb. and the 1,000 files limit is per folder, so unless you've more than 1,000 tracks, which you don't want organised by artist, or album or any other means this'll never become an issue.

·
Registered
485 Posts
ChrisLeggett said:
I had the same thoughts when I purchased my Tig. What I did was run the iPod cable and phone cable along the centre console and place both into the arm rest compartment. The wires I have then put into a cable tidy clips along the console so it sits nicely out of the way
Any chance of posting some pics of your solution Chris? :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Breezer said:
ChrisLeggett said:
Give me a couple of days and I will do.

Just need to wait for the new lead to arrive as my daughter broke the pins after trying to put it into her tablet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've installed a Brodit bracket which clips snugly into the air vents (They custom make this to the model of car). You then screw on your chosen holder for your phone. This Brodit gear isn't the cheapest, but it's very solid and looks like a quality bit of kit.
https://www.brodit.co.uk/

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for all of the replies everyone - I appreciate it.

I'll investigate the net option first I think and then bracket it if that doesn't fit the bill (but I recon it will for my purposes :))

With the tracks - can I clarify with the 1000 tracks thing. That's only in a single folder right? So I could (space willing) have 5000 tracks on an sd card providing the folder structure is ok and no single folder has 1000+? This makes sense for me as I've been using iTunes which has an artist / album folder structure so no single folder has more than 15 or so tracks depending on the album.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep... I have a full 64gb card - way more than 1000 songs, organised by Artist\Album....

·
Registered
627 Posts
DrMiles said:
Yep... I have a full 64gb card - way more than 1000 songs, organised by Artist\Album....
That's good news then, as I was going on what the owners manual said (copy here in this post) which states 1000 items and a maximum 32GB card.

Or is it that you have the Pro??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting information - many thanks :)

It's great that it allows FLAC files - I'll experiment when I get the car with some flac rips. Has anyone successfully used a card greater than 64gjg? That user manual seems to suggest 256 gig is ok.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Breezer said:
ChrisLeggett said:
Pictures for the method I am adopting are below Breezer. I've found it very useful having both leads (iPod Classic and iPhone) available to me at all times and I just switch over when needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
ChrisLeggett said:
Pictures for the method I am adopting are below Breezer. I've found it very useful having both leads (iPod Classic and iPhone) available to me at all times and I just switch over when needed.
Thanks Chris. A pic is worth a 1000 words. I'm thinking I might copy your solution but maybe put a hole in the console cubby. That would allow me to tuck the cables under the edge of the console as they run along, then fish them through the hole with a piece of wire. If I pick a hole size that I can get a blanking plug for, I can block it off neatly at the end of the lease.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts