Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Media Control app with their cars ?

I have tried various things to get it work, mainly out of curiosity but it just won't connect... It suggests it does work with the Tiguan

I eventually got car net going after some help from customer services (it wouldn't recognise my VIN) but the app doesn't do much at all, but the real time traffic does seem to work well!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well - i will provide you with an answer when I get my car - as yet it is sitting in cardboard boxes and platic wrapping waiting for a build date !
Ordered 16th July......still on the little brown factory on the "Track my order site"

Sighs
:roll:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Terrier1964 said:
Well - i will provide you with an answer when I get my car - as yet it is sitting in cardboard boxes and platic wrapping waiting for a build date !
Ordered 16th July......still on the little brown factory on the "Track my order site"

Sighs
:roll:
Snap :roll: :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
rduk said:
Has anyone tried the Media Control app with their cars ?

I have tried various things to get it work, mainly out of curiosity but it just won't connect... It suggests it does work with the Tiguan

I eventually got car net going after some help from customer services (it wouldn't recognise my VIN) but the app doesn't do much at all, but the real time traffic does seem to work well!
Hi
I've searched the threads relating to this app and can't find an answer ( the threads tend to turn to issues connecting Car-Net ). One review on Apple apps mentions you need to pay vw for an activation code to enable it. Is this correct & has anyone got the media control app working?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've tried to connect just to see if it was any use but I had no success. It was asking for a Vw password.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never got it to work, like you found similar suggestions about it being an optional add on via an activation

It's on my list for first service with a few other minor bits but that's a few months away yet

·
Registered
134 Posts
Must admit I'm confused by this. Has anyone seen this on a pricelist or configurator as an option, I havn't and my dealer never offered this as an option!

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's something that has only just been added to the spec list in May in the UK as I noticed it as a difference to the April spec book in the MY18 thread.

However I was under the impression from the website it's something that is available and has been for some time.

I'm still yet to get my car to test it :( as my car seems to have disappeared into a corner somewhere at Emden and been forgotten about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bhuna said:
It's something that has only just been added to the spec list in May in the UK as I noticed it as a difference to the April spec book in the MY18 thread.

However I was under the impression from the website it's something that is available and has been for some time.

I'm still yet to get my car to test it :( as my car seems to have disappeared into a corner somewhere at Emden and been forgotten about.

Why do i suspect that only the new MY18 discover infotainment has the required WLAN functionality?! :(

And Bhuna does that mean that you weren't on the Makassar Highway yesterday?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was told by chat half an hour ago the car is still at Emden in the queue of thousands waiting to be shipped and to speak to dealer who can contact shipping company for more details.

·
Registered
953 Posts
RLmatt said:
Bhuna said:

Why do i suspect that only the new MY18 discover infotainment has the required WLAN functionality?! :(

And Bhuna does that mean that you weren't on the Makassar Highway yesterday?
Shame the factory doesn't set up the find my car bit, you could find where your car is throughout its travels on your phone :lol:

·
Registered
134 Posts
RLmatt said:
The app has been around since 2014 so can't be limited to new systems

·
Registered
55 Posts
ACS said:
RLmatt said:
The app has been around since 2014 so can't be limited to new systems
Has it really been around for that long?

You'd think someone at VW might be able to shed some light on how it works :lol:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Well after quite a while trawling over google to get an answer to the VW Media App problem, I reckon I may have come up with an answer.
Apparently the Media App only works over wifi, however it appears that it will only work if the wifi hotspot is the car and not the phone. :roll:
Basically it means the Media App needs a wifi Car Stick or equivalent to provide the hotspot, unlike CarNet which can use the phone's wifi hotspot.

Perhaps someone with a wifi Car Stick can try the app to see if what I've read is correct?

Steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've just spoken to live chat and as I suspected it will work with MY18 discover system but not MY17. It is rather frustrating to have bought a new car, that is out of date before you have even taken delivery!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts