Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up new Tiguan around 4 weeks ago (family car to be driven by herself indoors). Car was well presented at dealer except for the number plates. Why do they make a balls of a simple task. Screws in front bumper at slightly different heights but ....the one on the back, big screws right into body work, one drilled at an angle and the other an inch lower.....why cannot the dealer make a template and use the vw provided holes ? Anyways said dealer plates are now binned and correctly fitted plates in place (mm perfect!). I had to prime and fill the holes in the tail gate which p€&@&d me off no end. On attached pic I had cut the foam back to show where holes were put
On picking up car also thought there may have been a fault with keyless but put it down to operator error and me not familiar with it. Sure enough keyless doesn't work on drivers door and red led on door indicated a fault. In hindsight the dealer pretty much demo'd everything on the car to my wife on colllection but not the keyless entry....suspicious possibly? Anyways needs a complete new door lock......still waiting on part to arrive. Whilst back at dealer I walked the lot and sure enough you can see which number plates were fitted by the genius who put them on our car. They have all left screw higher than right and are drilled slightly off square. One other minor thing I've noted is silver trim where roof rails meet body work is wonky on one corner as in pinched in compared to other 3 corners. Again I noticed it the day of collection but assumed wrongly this was normal. We really do like the car though technically our new Tiguan has had more faults leaving the showroom as our last car had in 9 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
That's diabolical. The technician (I use the word lightly) has probably voided the anti perforation warranty on the tailgate.

Something to add to the collection check-list for tomorrow, thank you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would have rejected the car. Worrying if the dealer doesnt even know how to fit numberplates.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I thought I've seen it all, cannot believe they managed to drill into sheet metal despite the designated screw fittings. That is most certainly worthy of replacement by the dealership. Indeed @Chas, something new for the pickup checklist.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's unbelievable, even somebody with one brain cell wouldn't make that mistake. Makes me really appreciative of my dealer presented mine immaculately, couldn't find a single fault and trust me I'm OCD about it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Terrible, they need shooting for doing something like that. Surely if they haven't got the skills required to drill two holes in the plate to pick up the official mounting they should issue the numpty with sticky pads instead

·
Registered
81 Posts
My plates are both stuck on with number plate tape, both cars I have purchased over the years from the same dealer came like this.

I would have it straight back into them if I had found these!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Needles73
With the greatest of respect I think you should have returned the car for the dealer to resolve the issue as regards the body work warranty. There was also another thread on this site regarding none VW approved insurance repairs and lack of continued warranty.
I am aware of exactly the same issue with a Kia Sorrento, the owner making the garage change the rear door since the bobywork warranty could not be guaranteed.
Ironically he changed the car within 2 years due to its off road capability - or lack off it.
Obivously hope it doesn't give you any issues in the future.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven't yet decided how to take the subject back up with dealer. When it goes back in to replace door lock I was going to discuss with sales man we dealt with. I've plenty of pics so don't think there will be any doubt about how the holes got there in first place. As I'm based in Ireland I may just go direct to Volkswagen Ireland if I don't get a favourable response the dealers tend to live in fear...,To be honest when I noticed holes one up one down I though surely their is a reason they didn't just drill plates level...was only when I took off plates I realised how badly they were on the fact it was into sheet metal. The dealer is a long way away so thought it better to prime and seal holes albeit a temp stop gap measure. I only filled them with a flexible sealant on advice from a repairer i know to halt any corrosion. I know it's still not the long term answer or fix. I was super annoyed to put it mildly so it's good to see it's not just me who finds this pretty poor.
Was thinking to ask the dealer to let me talk to whoever done the PDI and fitted the plates and get them to show me their own car to see how plates are fitted....I'd bet they aren't on like the way he fitted mine. Lesson learnt for me is in future I will stipulate how I want the plates attached and if at all possible I'll fit myself. We still love the car and cannot really blame Volkswagen if an idiot fitted plates.

G

·
Fitting plates is probably a job for the most junior 'technician' who then doesn't have his work checked. And I guess a large proportion of buyers would not even notice! Would irritate me after spending over 30 grand.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Needless73
It might, if not to late, be worth keeping the old plates as further evidence of the dealers incompetence, when you progress the issue further.
I see a lot of comments on this forum about compensation for one reason or another, but I think this issue stands head and shoulders above the majority of them.
I wish you well in resolving the issue.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Please don't tell me it was from a Frank Keane dealership. The PDI is generally carried out by National Vehicle Distribution in Baldonnell, it'd be my assumption that the dealerships are responsible for fitting the licence plates incl. the holders as cars arrive mostly stripped of the transport protection.

Definitely take this up with your dealership, and do keep us informed!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although I said "binned" old plates I actually decided to keep as evidence! Not a Frank Keane dealership and I don't want to name dealer unless I've no joy with them. Will say purchased in the west of the country..did wonder if NVD did pdi as they did deliver car to dealer. Plates where definitely fitted at dealer though. Funnily enough was looking at cars for sale online and seen a nice golf gtd at same dealer and guess what , left screw higher than right in rear plate....I cannot even walk the street now without checking how each dealer fitted plates.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No, of course - asked out of curiosity, have nothing against VW dealerships (for the moment). Anticipating my own in good time, so my heart sank when you mentioned Ireland in one of your posts. I checked out some listings from that very dealership 'out west' and they've all had the same licence plate treatment.

The problem is a lack of licence plate frames (which hide the screws), also the non-use of adhesive strips to attach those laminated plates on the rear (as seen in the UK). An unfortunate dealership epidemic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funnily enough I mentioned the badly fitted plates to my brother who works in a tractor dealership and he could quote the dimensions off his head eg 110mm high drill 55 mm.....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Needles73 said:
Although I said "binned" old plates I actually decided to keep as evidence! Not a Frank Keane dealership and I don't want to name dealer unless I've no joy with them. Will say purchased in the west of the country..did wonder if NVD did pdi as they did deliver car to dealer. Plates where definitely fitted at dealer though. Funnily enough was looking at cars for sale online and seen a nice golf gtd at same dealer and guess what , left screw higher than right in rear plate....I cannot even walk the street now without checking how each dealer fitted plates.
Perhaps one of his legs is shorter than the other one ;) ;) :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Needless73,

So disappointed for you, if you had of posted this on the 1st April I would took it as a joke, unbelievable that the person who fitted your licence plate thought this was acceptable! I personally would not accept this and would as a minimum demand a complete new tailgate as the car is new the colour match would not be an issue.

I do hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I too thought this was a joke, how very amateur of the installer and the dealer expecting you to accept this. I would also request a full new tailgate, as you will always be aware of the damage behind the plate, and who knows what, if any damage has happened to cables or tubes within the door.
Sorry, after spending so much money on a car like this, I would create havoc and inform VW, certainly never use the dealer again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.