Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a new SE Nav DSG Auto 4Motion. Loving the car but like others are finding limitations with using my iPhone as a mobile hotspot to connect the Nav system to the guide and inform service. Bit of a pain having to manually connect every time I restart the car. Therefore been looking at permanent 4g based Wifi options. Have looked in to the VW Carstick, but my car only has 1 USB and don't fancy blocking it up with the stick incase I ever want to use Carplay. Have found several that seem to fit the bill but all seem to have the same issue and that is you need to manually power on the devices on every time power is lost when the engine is stopped. Would like to install something in the boot to take advantage of the rear 12volt socket so it's out the way, so ideally want a 4g device that will automatically restart and power up when the engine is started and turns off when the engine is stopped.

Anyone use anything like this? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi, I have not got my Tiguan yet, but I plan to use the same method as SlimPollack in the below link.
http://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=289&p=3712&hilit=Huawei#p3712
By using a Huawei 4g wifi wingless and a 3 network data only sim (24gb bought from Amazon for £25), and 3 network can be used abroad too.
He connected it to the 12v boot connector with a longer USB cable and fixed it close to the rear window.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Try these 2 things, change the name of your iPhone, when before you start the car have the phone open on the mobile hotspot screen.
Mine connects every time if i have the screen open.

·
Registered
352 Posts
dsaunders70 said:
Hi, I have not got my Tiguan yet, but I plan to use the same method as SlimPollack in the below link.
http://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=289&p=3712&hilit=Huawei#p3712
By using a Huawei 4g wifi wingless and a 3 network data only sim (24gb bought from Amazon for £25), and 3 network can be used abroad too.
He connected it to the 12v boot connector with a longer USB cable and fixed it close to the rear window.

Hope this helps.
[email protected]
This is really the best solution in my opinion. Couple pics below how it looks like in my Tig.

I found nice desktop extension USB cable on eBay and I placed it on shelf beside small window using double sided sticky tape.
This is the link to the extension USB cable I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322150339109

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Trunk Gas Fixture

Fixture Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
SlimPollack said:
I found nice desktop extension USB cable on eBay and I placed it on shelf beside small window using double sided sticky tape.
This is the link to the extension USB cable I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322150339109
Hi, SlimPollack.
Why did you put the dongle on the shelf?
Can't you just store it somewhere in the boot?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Zele,
Every dongle (or being precise wingle in this case) is an radioelectronic device. It receives 3G/4G signal from mobile telephony base stations and converts it to WiFi hotspot (in principle). It has very small internal antenna and all cars being enclosed metal structures are almost so called "Faraday cages" i.e. place that shields all electromagnetic waves.
Therefore when you put your wingle in the boot the level of signal received from base stations of your mobile operator is going to be weaker comparing to the device positioned beside any window (glass has less shielding effect) and as a result of this your internet speed would be slower.

Therefore every radioelectronic device should be positioned in a way that provides the best receive / transmit capabilities.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wondered if you could add an antenna (to the Huawei E8372) like the one below, and stick it to the rear side window.? That way you could hide the unit in the boot..?
Eyewear Line Font Cable Rectangle

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

The website is http://carputer-shop.co.uk/3g-antenna.html

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. Managed to get a Huawei O2 dongle (£27) off eBay today which I'll unlock using the free software online. Also bought a USB extender cable and 12volt USB adaptor (£10) and a 3 4g Sim with 24gb preloaded for 2 years off Amazon (£28). Total price £65. Much cheaper than the VW car Stick! Hoping to install later this week in the rear of the car (thanks for the tip slimpollock) . Will post some updates later.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Ian.
What device did you buy exactly?
Im asking because you said 'dongle' - that normally it's just a modem with no WiFi functionality. What you need is 'wingle'.

Secondly - not all of them are easy to unlock with free code. I would even say most of these free unlockers are useless.

·
Registered
352 Posts
dsaunders70 said:
I wondered if you could add an antenna (to the Huawei E8372) like the one below, and stick it to the rear side window.? That way you could hide the unit in the boot..?
That particular antenna won't fit this wingle. It has TS-9 type connector while Huawei E8372 specs (http://consumer.huawei.com/en/mobile-broadband/wingles/tech-specs/e8372.htm) state it has to be TS-5.
And there are two external antenna connectors so I assume this wingle works in MIMO mode so to best use its capabilities you would need 2 antennas.

Personally I won't bother with external antenna. It shoudn't be a problem with 4G signal in the area where you live. Unless your point is to hide the wingle...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Slimpollock,

I bought the same model as the one you recommended (Hauwei 8375 wingle). Cost was £55 on Amazon unlocked, but found one on eBay for £27. It's listed as an O2 device and research done before buying indicated that it may actually be unlocked from the factory and doesn't' 'lock' until activated, so I'll try the 3 sim initially to see what happens. If that's doesn't work I'll try the free software to unlock. Wether or not this works out we'll see but thought I'd take a punt given the price difference... Nothing ventured nothing gained!

·
Registered
25 Posts
SlimPollack said:
It receives 3G/4G signal from mobile telephony base stations and converts it to WiFi hotspot (in principle).
:lol: Thanks, I forgot 3G/4G part.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm curious though, why not just use a car wifi dongle?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I personally wanted an 'always on, integrated installation' so that the hardware is hidden and the wifi is available whenever the car starts and ceases when the car stops. There are a couple of great wifi dongles on the market but most require to be powered on each time you want to use the wifi (like the device in the picture).

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
59 Posts
ian2087 said:
I personally wanted an 'always on, integrated installation' so that the hardware is hidden and the wifi is available whenever the car starts and ceases when the car stops. There are a couple of great wifi dongles on the market but most require to be powered on each time you want to use the wifi (like the device in the picture).

Hope that helps?
I hadn't clocked the must be switched on each time feature of those devices, that's annoying! And given Apples timeout value on personal hotspot, hmmm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep! Hence the wingle.

Turns out slimploock was right however. If you go that route, make sure you get an unlocked wingle. I didn't and ended up buying a much cheaper O2 locked Huawei e8372H which as it turns out can't be unlocked unless you've had it on a PAYG is. For 12 months. O2 isn't great where I live, so had also bought a Three sim in preparation hoping I could unlock the cheaper O2 locked device. Well after 2 days straight of trying I've given up, put it up for sale on eBay and bought an unlocked one from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow. Have already wired the car, so will post pics tomorrow once it's up and running.

If anyone wants a cheap O2 locked Huawei E8372H for there car, drop me a PM!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So in case anyone is interested. Finally finished the mobile internet install today.

Items used:
1. Huawei E8372h from amazon £55
2. Apple USB extender cable (got free with apple keyboard)
3. 12 volt USB charge with side USB connections £3
4. 3 SIM card with pre-added 24gb or 2 years service - Amazon £28
5. Bit of sticky Velcro to secure wingle in the window.

Install was pretty straight foward, just routed the USB cable from the rear 12volt socket to the rear right window through the panelling. As the SIM card was already loaded with data and the wingle was unlocked, all I needed to was plug and play. No registration required. All I did was connect to the wingle with default wifi password and change the wifi ssid to 'VW' and changed the connection password to something memorable to make it easier. All good.

Getting 15mb download speed and everything connects in about 20 secs of starting the car. Now getting real time traffic via car net instantly everytime I connect the car. Kids are happy as they have Netflix and wife happy as she can stream google play music via Bluetooth. Happy bunny !

Even posted this from the car!

Gonna see how things go in it's current location. Might think about moving to a more secure location and adding an antenna if signal struggles.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Excellent job. Well done.

Any chance of some more phots on where you routed the cable and how you got it down the back of the panels.?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sure, this help?

I followed the same route as Slim Pollock, just tucked the cable under the grey trim as shown in the yellow lines.

Automotive tire Vehicle Table Bumper Trunk

To get the cable to the window, I pulled back the large bolster trim and fed the cable behind and up to the window where the window trim meets the glass. To get the cable through I pulled the window trim back and feed it up so it sits between the trim and glass. There's enough play in the trim to do this and no tools were needed. To pull the main bolster trim away, simply pull it sideways, IE towards the left hand side of the car rather than forward (towards the front seats).

Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive exterior

Let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts