Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before but can't find the exact Answer
I'm considering getting front and rear mud guards fitted just wondering do the rear ones help relieve the amount of spray making the back end so muddying have a white se which after one wet drive is peppered in muck

Also any one Recomemd any that arnt £90 each set
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Hi Dba, unfortunately I don't think any type or make of mudflaps are going to stop the back end getting covered with muck!.
I have the mudflaps as part of the 'ProtectionPack' and admittedly they will stop a lot of mud being thrown up onto the rear bodywork, but because of the 'eddy' effect that the rear end produces, muck is always going to be attracted to the boot and rear window. Makes you wonder if VW should have done more wind tunnel testing ;)
In a nutshell, the mudflaps go a long way to helping, but won't stop it completely.

Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also have mud flaps fitted but for me it is to protect what I´m towing (horse or boat). It does not keep the back of the car from getting spayed with muck every time it rains just as Steve pointed out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my view mud flaps work pretty effectively in protecting the sides of the car, and to a lesser extent the rear. As commented above mud flaps will not eliminate the rear end spray but it does help. I have to say that I'm satisfied with my investment in mud flaps, and that is after having lived with no available rear mud flap option in my last two cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The mud flaps do a decent job of protecting the boot on mine. The sides get pretty dirty and fast. This is generally not an issue for me since I have the electric tailgate so I don't have to touch the boot at all. I would pick these up again imo.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have them fitted for the same reason as Gerge (My Caravan)

They do reduce, not eliminate, the muck spreading up the sides of the car and to a small extent reduce the reward spray but particularly seem to reduce larger objects such as thrown gravel/mud lumps.

The vortices at the back suck the residual fine spray up and cover it; top to bottom - just not as quickly but I now wish I'd ordered the hands free boot.

Cheers Earl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts