Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 14 years I owned four marques of Passat and I loved the car. It was great to drive, and, although there were various small changes inside the cockpit, it was always reassuringly, VW, and I was all set to order the latest version.
However, my wife had other ideas. She declared that she was bored with the Passat and, eventually, after some arm twisting and a visit to a VW dealer in Southampton, I decided to go for the Tiguan 150 TDi 2wd DSG R-Line in white.
Having had my new Tiguan R Line for the past three weeks and, having accrued over 750 miles, I thought that it was about time to let you all know how I feel about my new toy.
I LOVE IT!! :D
I will go through various areas of the car and let you know my thoughts about them, knowing that there are many others out there who are waiting for their "Tiggy".
1) Engine and DSG Gearbox.
Although I have read various complaints about the engine being noisy and the gearbox not geared satisfactorily, I must say that I find them both a step forward from my last 14 Reg Passat. The engine is really quiet (some passengers have even asked me if the car is a hybrid) and the gearing, whilst maybe not optimum (and that is being picky) is more than adequate for my needs. I find the power and acceleration smooth with no juddering. Yes, there are times where you wish it would change gear sooner (or later) than you would wish but that is what the paddles are for. Have a play!

2) Lane assist and ACC
Having had standard cruise control for the last 14 years on the stalk I was wary of the move to the steering wheel but I soon got used to it and use it all the time. I use ACC everywhere. It allows me to follow safely behind vehicles and not get speeding tickets. I adjust the max speed as the speed limits dictate and look ahead instead of at my speedo. I understand the limitations of following cars on roads where there are sharp bends, like country roads and roundabouts, and disable the ACC when approaching these situations. You cannot expect the car to take account of all situations. That is what the driver is for. That is why we have the brain. However, used wisely, and understanding these limitations, you should enjoy the added safety and enjoyment that this gives you. I have driven along a trunk road with lane assist on and ACC and removed my hands from the wheel watching as the car steered a minor S bend in the road with perfect precision! I have driven on many narrow roads (I live on the Isle of Wight) and have had no "emergency stops" or issues with lane assist/city braking. So far! :lol:

3) TFT Dashboard
This is a big plus. The display is sharp and crisp. The number of options to display on the dash is mind-boggling and it is fun to play with it and "mix and match" what you want to show. Personally I have the Sat Nav shown front and centre, with the two dials containing the ACC and compass within them. Depending on traffic I "play" with the distance left between my car and the one in front. However I will bring up the media or phone if required and all is easy to use.

4) Infotainment Centre
Having been lucky enough to have ordered my car before the MY 18 changes were announced, but having a delivery after, I got the best of both builds with the new infotainment centre but keeping my headlamp washers and metal surrounds on my air vents. The infotainment is a fingerprint magnet but I have a small cloth covered sponge that keeps it spotless without using any cleaner. I have not used car-net as I don't have a smart phone! However my son was impressed to be able to bring up his phone on the infortainment and play Spotify on it.

5) Seating
I have found these, so far to be very comfortable. I have the leather option with memory on the driver's side. The real test for me will come in Sept when I drive from Southampton to the Isle of Skye for a weeks holiday. I will cover over 1700 miles in 9 days. :eek:

6) Cabin
Basically it's just like a Passat, only higher up! Great space and legroom. I have to carry grown up children as well as grand-children from one in a child seat to teenagers. The only small gripe is that the glove box no longer has a lock.

7) Boot
This is the one area that I think we will suffer with. The Passat boot is HUGE! The Tiguan boot in comparison looks quite small. My wife and I regularly go on walking holidays to Wales/Lake District/Scotland and we have a lot of gear. We also go self-catering so we have some food and utensils to pack as well. The Passat has a seat up capacity of 580 litres. The spec for the Tiguan gives a figure of 525 litres with the rear seats all the way back, or 615litres with them forward. However I think that is also with the parcel shelf removed and the floor lowered.(comments please if I'm wrong) This means that to get the equivalent storage my gear is all "on view", especially when we park up at a Premier Inn overnight, whereas it was all hidden in the Passat. Trying to persuade the wife to take less. She has promised to try. :roll:

Anyway, that is what I think of my new Tiggy. I guess that most, if not all of the features are available on the Passat but I like the new shape on my driveway and look forward to driving it over the next three years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great write up, I've hopefully got 6 more weeks to wait before getting my hands on mine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have had my R-line Tiguan 2.0 150bhp 4motion the same number of weeks as you. I too am extremely pleased and agree with everything you have stated. Only negatives from me is fuel economy is only around 48mpg (but then I do have 4WD) and car net keeps disconnecting.

So many people have stopped to discuss the car with me and so many stop to look when it is parked up. I think in white people relate it to the VW advertising lots.

When I change in 2 to 3 years, I'm hoping that there will be a GTE version.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nice write up! I'm with you on pretty much everything. Love mine to bits too. Brilliant car. The only thing I really miss about my Mk 7 2.0 Golf TDI was the ability to comfortably get 60-70mpg out of it even with my heavy foot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JJ1 said:
I have had my R-line Tiguan 2.0 150bhp 4motion the same number of weeks as you. I too am extremely pleased and agree with everything you have stated. Only negatives from me is fuel economy is only around 48mpg (but then I do have 4WD) and car net keeps disconnecting.

So many people have stopped to discuss the car with me and so many stop to look when it is parked up. I think in white people relate it to the VW advertising lots.

When I change in 2 to 3 years, I'm hoping that there will be a GTE version.
I forgot to mention fuel economy. I have had an average of 45mpg which covers medium and short journeys. It is similar to my 140bhp 2.0l diesel Passat. I will have some longer journeys coming up soon and will see how that goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fully agree with WalkingWizard. My Tig 2.0TDI 190 DSG 4M SEL on 11500 miles, just done 800 mile return trip, mainly motorway and A road at legal limit on ACC, feet off pedals 95% of journey, car slows down, speeds up as required but I remember I am driver, Lane assist on, great seats (Leather), over 50mpg both ways. Dynamic headlights and corner lighting function amazing. So much better in every way than my previous Q5.

·
Registered
953 Posts
cals said:
Fully agree with WalkingWizard. My Tig 2.0TDI 190 DSG 4M SEL on 11500 miles, just done 800 mile return trip, mainly motorway and A road at legal limit on ACC, feet off pedals 95% of journey, car slows down, speeds up as required but I remember I am driver, Lane assist on, great seats (Leather), over 50mpg both ways. Dynamic headlights and corner lighting function amazing. So much better in every way than my previous Q5.
Feet off the pedals, you can take your hands off the steering wheel as well for short periods or if you jam a half full/empty pop bottle in the steering wheel you can go a lot further :eek: :eek: :eek:
Suggest you don't cross your legs, you get them in a knot when something happens and you need them fast :lol: :lol: :lol:
But on a serious matter you should get about 57mpg when you do your sky trip even though you'll be fully loaded! But don't use supermarket fuel. I'm looking to get 60+ Mpg on my long run and I'll be trying every trick in the books to get it there

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm not sure about ACC - it has the potential to annoy other drivers (like me). I imagine it works well in the US where they tend not to use lanes but go as fast as the car in front.

But it's so annoying to be driving on a motorway, overtaking and using the outside lane, and the car in the middle lane you're overtaking has a car in front of them which moves to the inside lane and they speed up as you're overtaking them!!!!

G

·
I've always wondered if ACC activates brake lights when it brakes? Could be tiresome for folowing vehicles but obviously necessary for serious stops as opposed to speed adjustments.

I think it's a great system but tend not to use it since the constant speed adjustments are uncomfortable. As a driver you see ahead and make adjustments in advance e.g. you see a hill ahead and gradually increase throttle to compensate, the ACC does not react until it feels the car slow. Hope that makes sense?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts