Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It didn't take long for my new Tiguan to draw blood. Okay, I've never had a hatchback before but when putting something in the boot or even just leaning inside I never realised the sharp rear edge of that parcel shelf cover could slice into my bald head! Only when the blood started to run down my forehead did I realise what I'd done....

Anyone any ideas, apart from the obvious of course?

• Sad
Reactions: CUK

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've hit my head on the catch protruding from the hatch, but never the parcel shelf. First suggestion wear a hat :), otherwise a bit of rubber tubing, split along it's length and push over the edge.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've hit my head on the catch protruding from the hatch, but never the parcel shelf. First suggestion wear a hat :), otherwise a bit of rubber tubing, split along it's length and push over the edge.
Yes, that parcel shelf has a razor sharp edge. Not so bad just touching it but when when moving side to side as I leant into the boot it literally cut into my head.

What I have done now is put some of that plastic door edging protector all the way along the edge - hopefully that will ease the pain.......... 😟

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Was going to say some sort of rubber on the edge, never hit my head on the parcel shelf but there’s some automotive rubber that’s designed to go round edges maybe something like that?

Tool Bicycle part Bumper Composite material Font

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was going to say some sort of rubber on the edge, never hit my head on the parcel shelf but there’s some automotive rubber that’s designed to go round edges maybe something like that?

View attachment 9386
That would probably work but for now I'll see how the plastic door-edge strip works. I suppose the other way would be to remove it completely and see if it is possible to get one of those retractable parcel shelf covers. That way I could push it right back out of the way when loading.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Others have looked in the past and failed to find a fixed to retractable parcel shelf conversion.
Hmmmm, that's a shame!

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,654 Posts
This was mentioned in the past discussions, and is still available if you have the right model and are willing to screw bits to your shiny car!
Retractable Tiguan load cover

Reactions: A1VWD

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was mentioned in the past discussions, and is still available if you have the right model and are willing to screw bits to your shiny car!
Retractable Tiguan load cover
I'll give it more time and think about it. Not too keen drilling holes in my new Tig.....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hmmmm, that's a shame!
Had the roller blind parcel shelf on the Q3. Was the only thing I detested about that car. Will never, ever buy a car with that again.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had the roller blind parcel shelf on the Q3. Was the only thing I detested about that car. Will never, ever buy a car with that again.
Any particular reason for not liking the roller blind or retractable parcel shelf? I know they look flimsy but just being curious.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Any particular reason for not liking the roller blind or retractable parcel shelf? I know they look flimsy but just being curious.
After about 3 months it began to sag. You could see around the edges. The space to get something in the boot without moving it was more like a saloon with a narrow boot, so basically you had to open it every time. If it was raining you couldn’t half open the boot and throw things in quickly. And if/when it got rain drips on it, you could never get them off again.
also, the hooks had a tendency to crack and break. Thankfully mine didn’t, as it was over £250 a side in parts only. But apart from that…
On a positive, if you dropped the back seats it didn’t take up much space, but was PITA to clip back on

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After about 3 months it began to sag. You could see around the edges. The space to get something in the boot without moving it was more like a saloon with a narrow boot, so basically you had to open it every time. If it was raining you couldn’t half open the boot and throw things in quickly. And if/when it got rain drips on it, you could never get them off again.
also, the hooks had a tendency to crack and break. Thankfully mine didn’t, as it was over £250 a side in parts only. But apart from that…
On a positive, if you dropped the back seats it didn’t take up much space, but was PITA to clip back on
I see what you mean. As I've never had a hatchback before I'm still getting used to the idea so maybe best to stick with what I've got. The door edge protector on the cover looks okay and is much less painful to hit!

Reactions: Sparkie1984

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan Life, DSG, 1.5 TSI, keyless, rear camera, full size spare
6 Posts

View attachment 9386
Exactly this problem and this solution has worked a dream. I think I bought a 2m roll on ebay. Got yellow, I can't miss it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I suspect this is only a problem with post-facelift cars, and it sounds like another instance of cost-cutting by VW resulting in poor finishing. My 2019 has no roughness or sharpness on the edges of the cover.

As to dealing with it, yes you can get all kinds of different profiles and thicknesses of rubber edging on ebay. But before doing that, can it simply be sanded smooth/ blunt ?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suspect this is only a problem with post-facelift cars, and it sounds like another instance of cost-cutting by VW resulting in poor finishing. My 2019 has no roughness or sharpness on the edges of the cover.

As to dealing with it, yes you can get all kinds of different profiles and thicknesses of rubber edging on ebay. But before doing that, can it simply be sanded smooth/ blunt ?
No doubt this is a problem exacerbated by not having hair on my head so I have to remember to duck! The plastic or rubber edging is a cheap and permanent fix and actually looks okay - should be made as standard IMO. Maybe sanding it smooth may have helped but the parcel shelf is very hard and rugged so a softer edging I think solves the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a picture showing the rubber/PVC edging I've put on the parcel shelf. The blue on the boot floor is just a piece of tarpaulin to protect the carpet.
Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk

·
Registered
45 Posts
It didn't take long for my new Tiguan to draw blood. Okay, I've never had a hatchback before but when putting something in the boot or even just leaning inside I never realised the sharp rear edge of that parcel shelf cover could slice into my bald head! Only when the blood started to run down my forehead did I realise what I'd done....

Anyone any ideas, apart from the obvious of course?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not managed to catch myself yet but decided to be proactive, as folicaly challenged. As per other posters I ordered some trim from Amazon.
  • ASIN: B00D05NGIK
£2.30 per meter - i ordered 4 metres but reckon 2m would have probably been enough. Perfect fit and very easy to apply bends round corners and looks OK, I got black although other colours available.

Hope some help

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not managed to catch myself yet but decided to be proactive, as folicaly challenged. As per other posters I ordered some trim from Amazon.
  • ASIN: B00D05NGIK
£2.30 per meter - i ordered 4 metres but reckon 2m would have probably been enough. Perfect fit and very easy to apply bends round corners and looks OK, I got black although other colours available.

Hope some help
One metre should be enough as that covered right around each edge and was a push fit and very tight so should not come off. I ordered red (so as not to show the blood!) and hopefully I will see it!

£1.99 from eBay: Small Red rubber car edging trim protection 9.5mm x 6mm from TSEC | eBay

Reactions: dannymidd1
1 - 20 of 30 Posts