Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Been browsing this excellent forum anonymously for a while now, but would like to seek some thoughts (rather than specific advice).

Currently drive a Mk 7 2L Golf TDI which I love, but is a tad on the small side (last two cars have been Mondeos!). Therefore looking to possibly upsize later this year, and the Tig is top of my list. Golf is in for a service in a couple of weeks, so taking the opportunity to take a Tig for a test drive (2 L diesel).

The problem is that I'm really, really undecided on two counts.

1) Petrol or diesel. Currently do around 15k miles a year, although in 2 years I'll be retired and that might fall to about 10k. Last 3 cars have been diesels. Love the torque and the mpg - can get as much as 70mpg from the Golf on an extended and steady run, but typically average 55mpg. However, I'm wary about the future of diesel, let alone the premium at purchase. Wanted to test drive a 1.4 TSI but local dealer hasn't got one available.

2) Cash or contract. I'm wary of taking out loans, and not "owning" the car, and although I've bought cars using bank loans before, have never done so on lease or contract. I'm fortunate enough to be having a windfall later this year which could be enough to cover a new purchase outright taking into account any PX with the Golf, but seems like so many people these days go with a lead /PCP option. Using something like Carwow either way seems like a no brainer.

3) I know I only said 2 things :lol: Manual or Auto. Got dodgy knees. Said for a few years I'll get an auto, but always end up with a manual.

Trim wise, I spend most of my time browsing SE Nav trims with a few options - adaptive CC which I love on the Golf, and a heated windscreen which I miss most from my Mondeos. Would love LED headlights and with that nice grill, but seems extortionate at over a grand, and the virtual dash. Anyone have this?

Sorry for such a long opening post, but I have so many questions, and you guys seem like the best people to answer them.

Cheers!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome. I was going for the SE Nav but then compared it to the SEL, which included a couple of options I wanted. Price difference wasn't much considering LED headlights and sun roof as extras that were on the nice to have list but too much as options.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
For 3 its a no brianer: go DSG, all the benefits of auto, none of the drawbacks. The changing is super smooth, it's faster than you can change great for boy racer take offs and overtaking where you kick down, in slow traffic it's a doddle one foot driving, there's no fuel penalty as there's no torque converter loosing power. I could go on, I've had autos for nearly 20 years, and the DSG's are far and away the best.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts
Bear in mind that if you do decide to go with the DSG gearbox then the 1.4 petrol would not be an option, as, in this country at least it's not available with the DSG box.
I think they've made a big mistake not allowing it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it as an option in the future, especially with all the wrangle over diesel at the moment..

Steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Statto1927, Like you, I was keen to move from diesel to the 1.4L petrol but love the DSG box which I've had on the last two cars. I don't need the power or the consumption of the 2.0L petrol model so, it had to be the diesel and I have no regrets. As for the current concern over diesel emissions, the Adblue should resolve the Nitrogen Oxide issue and the DPF the particle outfall. We'll see how the discussion about diesels transpires but the main concern is about older vehicles for which I expect some sort of scrappage scheme to be announced. It's all a bit of a gamble unless you are prepared to forego the auto trasmission which, IMHO is too big a sacrifice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Statto1927, Like you, I was keen to move from diesel to the 1.4L petrol but love the DSG box which I've had on the last two cars. I don't need the power or the consumption of the 2.0L petrol model so, it had to be the diesel and I have no regrets. As for the current concern over diesel emissions, the Adblue should resolve the Nitrogen Oxide issue and the DPF the particle outfall. We'll see how the discussion about diesels transpires but the main concern is about older vehicles for which I expect some sort of scrappage scheme to be announced. It's all a bit of a gamble unless you are prepared to forego the auto trasmission which, IMHO is too big a sacrifice.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Good morning Statto1927........I have to say DSG for me all the way. :idea: :idea: :idea: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Safer driving with two hands on the wheel, no faffing about gear changing when stuck in stop start traffic. But the best of both worlds if you want to play ;) ...you have the racing car paddles on the steering wheel :p :p ....enjoy your test drive :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, on your current mileage then Diesel makes most sense economically, at 10K Petrol is probably more economical, especially the 1.4. That said the DSG gearbox would be a must for me so you should probably be looking at the 150Tdi, personally I'd also be looking at 4WD but each the their own on that. Regarding trim then SEL seems like good value and there are big discounts available, with PCP you should be approaching 15% and you can pay off early to get the discount and save money on interest.
The Seat Ateca is available in 1.4Tsi with DSG but of course its a Seat!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks - I'm not in a rush so time to digest you helpful feedback. As I said, test driving a manual, but I'm probably going to get a test drive in a DSG also - seems everyone is positive about this! I'm more nervous about the idea of negotiating a PCP - still erring towards a cash payment but will have a thing and do some googling.

Thanks again

·
Registered
433 Posts
DSG no brainier for me by far the best way to enjoy your new Tig, the only danger is once you've had it you will never want a manual again. As for pcp it's a doddle. Dealers are not interested in a cash buy as nothing in it for them. I have gone down the pcp route twice now and you can either opt out with 14 days and still get the contribution or like me let it run for a month or two then request a final payment from VW finance and then a simple BACS transfer to pay it off. My dealer is aware that this is what I do and isnt concerned.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Timbo. More sage advice ;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
:D Statto what about a short term lease, until your windfall, go for an SEL with auto then you can choose to pay it off and buy it or change it for either a petrol or diesel or visa versa? At least you will then have a chance to change completely or stick with the Tig. I did the same this year went back to petrol as my miles have come down to 10,000 a year and got a good deal so bought cash due to a very small windfall? Good look,

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Timbo said:
DSG no brainier for me by far the best way to enjoy your new Tig, the only danger is once you've had it you will never want a manual again. As for pcp it's a doddle. Dealers are not interested in a cash buy as nothing in it for them. I have gone down the pcp route twice now and you can either opt out with 14 days and still get the contribution or like me let it run for a month or two then request a final payment from VW finance and then a simple BACS transfer to pay it off. My dealer is aware that this is what I do and isnt concerned.
We were also lucky to be in a position to pay cash.
We manged to get the dealer to give us 3 grand off the purchase, all down to the wife I might add as shes a good negotiator :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
Negativepitch said:
Timbo said:
Were also lucky to be in a position to pay cash.
We manged to get the dealer to give us 3 grand of the purchase, all down to the wife I might add as shes a good negotiator :D
You must be going nuts mate trying to decide on your SUV choice. The new Q5 imo looks wonderful and probably be my choice if didn't opt for the Tig. Different price bracket I know but Audi really make their cars well. Good luck.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Timbo said:
Negativepitch said:
Timbo said:
We manged to get the dealer to give us 3 grand of the purchase, all down to the wife I might add as shes a good negotiator :D
You must be going nuts mate trying to decide on your SUV choice. The new Q5 imo looks wonderful and probably be my choice if didn't opt for the Tig. Different price bracket I know but Audi really make their cars well. Good luck.
Its the one car we havent thought about to be honest, might addd that to the long list....I can see us going for another tig at this rate :lol:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Negativepitch said:
Timbo said:
Negativepitch said:
Its the one car we havent thought about to be honest, might addd that to the long list....I can see us going for another tig at this rate :lol:
You wouldn't be disappointed in the Tig, love my R Line with the options, far exceeded my expectations. You just need to find a better dealer than Sinclairs, may need a bit of traveling.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts