Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few pics of the infotainment system with touch screen buttons. Very sleek looking. Does anyone know do this is just on the pro or does it look like this on standard DNS??

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked mine up yesterday and it's just the standard infotainment system, part of the MY18 changes.

Much sharper than the old version (my in laws bought a Tig back in Feb so was able to compare)

Only thing I've found annoying so far is that it leaves visible finger prints on the screen, so going to have to keep a cloth handy to keep cleaning it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Out of interest, the mode buttons around the edge are part of the screen on the new unit. Are they as definite in operation as the click type switches currently used?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Short answer, yes. Only takes a slight touch to change. As previously mentioned the screen really shows up finger marks. Drives me mad when the unit's switched off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my previous car (2015 Golf) I found that you had to apply a bit of pressure on the screen for it to react. With the new system it's much more sensitive, I would say more on par with the sensitivity of using a smartphone. (and that goes for both the screen and the surrounding buttons.)

I'll see if I can post a short video.

G

·
Personally I prefer proper buttons! Always considered the car the wrong place for touch screen - buutons you can operate by feel without taking eyes off the road, touch screen invariably requires eyes off road. However I appreciate the extra functionality offered(and lack of clutter). Can't win!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I must be rare as I don't like the look of the new display. Too me it doesn't fit the space which was designed around the original units, so I think it looks like a non OEM replacement.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm glad someone else said it first Tricky- but I'm not a great fan of the new look unit either. The unit looks wrong to my eyes- there is no demarcation between the buttons and the screen. Maybe it looks better in the dark!
Also- the glass fascia that shows every fingerprint would drive me nuts!

·
Registered
90 Posts
It certainly attracts finger prints but you'll be pleased to hear that the screen is much brighter and matches the active info display with this and the higher resolution

Just keep some sunglasses in the car with the soft material to give it a quick wipe once a week - or just use the steering wheel controls, they're mostly all there + safer

The pro I think looks best, and I think they both look better in the flesh

·
Registered
60 Posts
I almost quit my order after dealers call, when he said that my tiguan is goint to be 18 and not the 17 which I order.
In my country there was not any R line in stock.
I also couldnt see any R line in real so this forum help a lot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
342 Posts
No, it's standard, the pro version has a completely flat screen without the 2 knobs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On a slightly different note, I've got this (standard) new head-unit in my car and I am struggling with Internet connectivity for the up-to-date traffic information and Car-Net functionality, see https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1757. Workaround was to use an O2 sim, but that has now also stopped working for the second time in two months. Only thing that seems to fix it is to remove the car from the Car-Net portal and then add it back in. So far, VW have not acknowledged these issues so I will keep pushing! I would be interested to hear how others are getting on with this new head-unit. My device part number is 3Q0035874C, hardware: H41 and software: 0449. Undoubtedly a software update will be required. I took delivery of my car at the end of June and I'm wondering whether the most recent cars have the same software version?

·
Registered
527 Posts
From my various Apple products the shinier the screen, the more noticeable finger marks are, but visibility in sunlight improves massively so if this is similar I will live with the fingerprints. What is concerning me more is the connectivity issues reported above, hoping I can use my phone that is CarPlay connected to be able to provide traffic data. The phone allows it, as a demo Kia Niro did it as wanted, so VW can't blame the phone

·
Registered
387 Posts
Kental said:
From my various Apple products the shinier the screen, the more noticeable finger marks are, but visibility in sunlight improves massively so if this is similar I will live with the fingerprints. What is concerning me more is the connectivity issues reported above, hoping I can use my phone that is CarPlay connected to be able to provide traffic data. The phone allows it, as a demo Kia Niro did it as wanted, so VW can't blame the phone
Well I have a MY18 standard Nav Tiguan being picked up on Friday this week with *exactly* your use case in mind (iOS 10/CarPlay hopefully being used to deliver traffic data to the VW Nav through EE 4G services) . I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Utumno said:
Kental said:
Well I have a MY18 standard Nav Tiguan being picked up on Friday this week with *exactly* your use case in mind (iOS 10/CarPlay hopefully being used to deliver traffic data to the VW Nav through EE 4G services) . I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks for that. I'm not on EE, but apart from that, it is exactly what I want, although iOS 12 will probably be out by the time I get my Tiguan!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Utumno said:
...iOS 10/CarPlay hopefully being used to deliver traffic data to the VW Nav through EE 4G services...
Apologies if you know this already, but to use online live traffic data for the built-in navigation system you will need to provide the head-unit with an Internet connection so it can connect to Car-Net, which does not happen through CarPlay. Instead, you would have to enable the 'Personal Hotspot' option on the iPhone and connect the car to the iPhone's wireless network (or use another device to provide the car with an Internet connection, as long as it doesn't use the car's USB port, i.e. VW's CarStick, because you will need that port for CarPlay). To state the obvious, you will also need an active Car-Net subscription. This is where things fail for me on EE (O2 working fine), i.e. although the car's WLAN connection is established with the iPhone (and Internet connectivity confirmed using another device also connected to the iPhone's personal hotspot) the car will not connect to the Car-Net service. As an alternative, you can use the iPhone's native Maps application for navigation through CarPlay, which also has live traffic data.

·
Registered
387 Posts
AberDino said:
Utumno said:
...iOS 10/CarPlay hopefully being used to deliver traffic data to the VW Nav through EE 4G services...
Apologies if you know this already, but to use online live traffic data for the built-in navigation system you will need to provide the head-unit with an Internet connection so it can connect to Car-Net, which does not happen through CarPlay. Instead, you would have to enable the 'Personal Hotspot' option on the iPhone and connect the car to the iPhone's wireless network (or use another device to provide the car with an Internet connection, as long as it doesn't use the car's USB port, i.e. VW's CarStick, because you will need that port for CarPlay). To state the obvious, you will also need an active Car-Net subscription. This is where things fail for me on EE (O2 working fine), i.e. although the car's WLAN connection is established with the iPhone (and Internet connectivity confirmed using another device also connected to the iPhone's personal hotspot) the car will not connect to the Car-Net service. As an alternative, you can use the iPhone's native Maps application for navigation through CarPlay, which also has live traffic data.
Yeah that's kind of my expectation, although there is no reason why VW chose to take that route. With the Car-Net iOS app installed on the iPhone powering CarPlay it can easily proxy network connections through that application -- many manufacturers take this route as it also means they can have end-to-end visibility on the whole thing, as of course the iOS application can send telemetry back to the manufacturer ;-)

I'm expecting to have to Personal Hotspot this though, as you pointed out. Car-Net should come with 3 years free for me, according to the vehicle spec. We'll see ;-)

As to Apple Maps .... bit of a last resort there. If it turns out I can't use Personal Hotspot reliably for some reason I'll likely install a "wingle" somewhere on a cheapo £5 a month Three contract.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts