Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Newbie here. This is my first VW and I am delighted with my brand new 2017 SE Nav Tiguan.

Question: I am travelling to Europe in a couple of months, do I need headlight deflectors for driving on the RH side of the road? I don't have the lights option in my MFD.

I have spoken with the dealer but am getting mixed answers. Generally, it seems that as the new polos and new golfs don't need them then the new Tiguan doesn't either as they have a flat light beam.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Go with what they say then 'Jack51' and if stopped by police show them that email from VW..... How many Dutch, German, French, Belgiums put deflectors on, when they come here !!!!!! I have always made a point of looking at there cars when coming back to Blighty and have not seen one or HGV. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Jack51 said:
I am confused now. I have had an email from VW stating that my Tig SE with halogen lights does NOT need headlamp converters as it is a flat beam.
Jack51,
Take your Tig for an evening drive, park it against any wall, fence or garage door (let's say 5 to 10m away) and you'll see that headlight beam is not flat.
Then take a picture and reply to that email as they misinformed you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Just to be on the safe side I have purchased a set of eurolites headlamp converters. I will also have the print out from VW, but as French police can be a bit of a pain I decided to err on the side of caution and fit some anyway.

Thanks for all of your help and nice to communicate with fellow MK2 Tiguan owners.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Jack51,

Would you be able to check whether headlight beam is properly deflected using Eurolites?
As you know from the topic linked above I used different ones on my recent trip to Europe but I'm frequent visitor there so would like to know if Eurolites converters are any better. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Back from a 5 week road trip around Europe. Eurolite headlamp converters worked very well. Not flashed once by oncoming drivers.

The converters were easily removed from my headlights after returning to the UK. The residue left after peeling them off is easily washed away with warm soapy water.

I will definitely use them again when I next travel on the continent.

BTW. When I went over the pass between Italy and France I was at 1860 meters. There was snow on the road and many hairpin bends. I didn't even have to switch to snow/ice mode. I had winter tyres fitted and there was not a slip to be felt. I felt really confident when driving on the snow. If it was a bit deeper I would have switched mode, but not needed. Very pleased.

Jack.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome Jack51 check out this link I followed it last year got the link from THE AA the site shows how to fit and remove the deflectors with there YouTube link . Looks a little confusing IT IS NOT when opening kit it has every car in uk listed hope it helps I recommend it I used them . If you do purchase them book mark link for removing video. I didn't know that you shouldn't use white spirt
http://motoring-into-europe.co.uk/aa/fitting.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
salmonfisher said:
Not sure. My SEL definitely had an option under lights to switch from LHD to RHD and it works brilliantly. However the SEL has LED headlights and it may only work with.
Interesting.

Im going to france tomorrow so will have a look in the settings, cheers for that

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in a similar quandary in January when travelling to France for my ski holiday. I tried a variety of online sources and even contact the French Gendarmerie for advice. The reply I got from them indicated that as long as your headlights are adjusted to not dazzle oncoming traffic then all is well.

I was not comfortable having to try to explain to a French policeman that my car was doing it so I didn't need the external deflectors so I did a Google translate on the page from the user manual that explains the function.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Evening all

I'm new to the forum as our Tiguan is on order.

Our se nav has the standard h7 lights and as we do go across the channel a bit I've asked the dealer and VW technical the same question.

VW hq said they needed the chassis number as some of the Tiguas have European compliant lights.

Having just hung up the dealer called and their response was this.

The workshop manager got the chassis number and put it into the database. Ours is fitted with standard h7 head lights but have a flat beam and can be driven without any adjustments whatsoever as the beam is flat. Of this I was guaranteed.

Our present Ford Kuga Titanium x sport has xenons and we've had one or two trips to France in that and got flashed once or twice. I'll miss the xenon lights but I guess we are down grading. But that's what happens at the end of a PCP deal.

I'm having one more test drive of the Tiguan which is the se nav model but is the 1.4 tsi 150 bmt dsg 4 motion.

Th one I test drove was very good but under the bonnet was blathered in some form of thick chalky substance. So it's just another longer test drive on the motorway to make sure it's not wheezy etc.

Anyway hope the remarks settle you down. Ta Phill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.