Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking at ordering a new R Line in the coming weeks but can't decide between the 190TDI or the 180TSI.

Unfortunately the closest petrol Tiguan to me is 180mi away which makes this decision so much more difficult. I've managed to test drive the 190TDI and it felt lively enough.

I only do 9-11k mi a year and most of this is daily commute in stop-start traffic. I'm also looking at getting the car after April (especially with this 35-40 week delay), so the new tax bands will be in effect which will make the car tax identical.

My question is, has anyone driven both, and if so does the petrol feel as quick or as well powered as the diesel?

Many thanks for any advice and thoughts!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've got the 180 TSI - I think it's fairly quick - and i've had a porshe and 3.0 ltr Z4. Not comparing them - especially seeing as it's an suv - but the 7.7 0-60 feels very quick in a SUV.

·
Registered
610 Posts
As many on here, I know a few good people in the motor business, I have had both petrol and diesel depending on what my mileage would be in a year.
I was told to do the following sums when deciding :-
Cost difference of both engines in my case R line £2000 between the two.
Cost of fuel at moment 2/3p per lt in favour of petrol and the gap is reported to be getting bigger over the next few yrs?
Cost of service, in most cases a petrol vehicle is cheaper.
Vehicle Tax( soon to change)
My yearly milage in most cases under 10,000 petrol, 10/14,000 boarder line above 14,000 Diesel
If thinking of keeping your vehicle long term also consider cost of engine parts again due to the higher compression in diesel engine's cost can be more (pls correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I was told)
I do 6 miles to work 4 x aday split 50/50 on A and B rds, the odd trip to Manchester 40 mins away and 4 trips up to Northumberland in a year 160 miles, but wil look to do less than 10,000 so went for petrol this time around.
Only problem I'm enjoying driving it so much :D :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not a lot wrong with your figures but I would add that diesel holds it price better so a better trade in and is generally more reliable with less to go wrong.
Certainly under 10,000 I would go petrol but once over that its a question of what you prefer in terms of driving. Diesel better torque, easier driving better mid range acceleration vs petrol better acceleration if you floor it but need to use gears more and more revs to get the performance.
I went diesel as I do 12-15,000 pa with a lot of long motorway drives but would have had a petrol if I was doing shorter journeys.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In terms of straight performance you might look at the engine/gearbox performance figures.

I parted with an Audi Q5 S-Line Special Edition 2.0 TFSI (211ps) two weeks ago after 5 years and 101k miles. The car was sprightly, fast off its mark when required, good mid range acceleration as well. (There are always quicker cars on the road with 2.4/3.0 litre engines and more). I was concerned that the Tiguan SEL 2.0 TSI would be sluggish in comparison but the book figures suggested it was only 0.1sec slower 0-62 mph. I test drove an R-Line 2.0 TSI and confirmed the book comparison was valid and I was well pleased. I ordered an SEL because I wanted the Outdoor Pack & mud flaps.

Manual gearbox cars are marginally slower to reach 62mph than their auto equivalents, and diesel engines of equivalent size/power tend to have better low range acceleration in my experience though the TFSI/TSI seems better mid & upper ranges. In my experience the TFSI/TSI engines are at their best when worked.

I cannot comment on diesel fuel figures but my new SEL suggests that VW's official figures are realistic. I'm returning 30/31mpg on short range urban A/B roads and 36/37mpg on longer runs. VW recommends super unleaded (97/98 RON) for the 180 TSI though it can take standard unleaded (95 RON) but again in my experience the better quality fuel does return better mpg, and I believe the engine seems happier.

My driving style is not that of a boy racer but I don't hang about either so take the figures & perceptions above as you will :?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Billc can I just ask where have you seen that the fuel should be the higher grade RON on the Tsi ? Cheers ftt :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
The sticker inside the fuel filler cover. When I picked up the car at the dealer I asked which grade of fuel to use, he said 95 would be fine. When I stopped at filling station for first fill the sticker clearly states super unleaded though it will take a minimum 95 RON. Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
billc47 said:
The sticker inside the fuel filler cover. When I picked up the car at the dealer I asked which grade of fuel to use, he said 95 would be fine. When I stopped at filling station for first fill the sticker clearly states super unleaded though it will take a minimum 95 RON. Photo attached.
Exactly , 95 is fine in the tsi .
The high performance models in the vw range i.e. Golf r etc have to have 98 minimum but nowhere i have seen says it is needed in the Tiguan .
It's up to personal preference what people use but at 12-15p a litre more for 98 is a lot and the difference in performance and economy is negligible.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree the car will run with 95 RON, have never suggested other. My view having driven the car on 95 RON for about 40 miles is 97/98 RON delivers a noticeable improvement in the car's response not that it turns it into a performance car.

With regard to the added cost of the fuel (say 10%) it definitely gives a return on mpg (say 5%). In my view the added quality of the fuel and the potential benefits to the engine give value for the added cost . Certainly I prefer to choose the Super Unleaded at the pump when it is on offer side by side with Standard Unleaded.

So I agree 95 RON is the minimum for the 2.0 TSI 180ps and VW on the fuel sticker advise 97 RON while confirming the minimum is 95 RON.

·
Registered
66 Posts
billc47 said:
I agree the car will run with 95 RON, have never suggested other. My view having driven the car on 95 RON for about 40 miles is 97/98 RON delivers a noticeable improvement in the car's response not that it turns it into a performance car.

With regard to the added cost of the fuel (say 10%) it definitely gives a return on mpg (say 5%). In my view the added quality of the fuel and the potential benefits to the engine give value for the added cost . Certainly I prefer to choose the Super Unleaded at the pump when it is on offer side by side with Standard Unleaded.

So I agree 95 RON is the minimum for the 2.0 TSI 180ps and VW on the fuel sticker advise 97 RON while confirming the minimum is 95 RON.
I always use Premium fuel in all my family's cars, I first started using BP Ultimate Diesel in the 3 Kuga's that I owned over the years, when I changed to a petrol Seat Leon FR 150ACT I started using Tesco Momentum 99 and the car ran really well, my wife and daughter both have Fiesta's which also run on Tesco Momentum, I find that this reduces the flat spots and hesitation that the normal fuels seem to cause.

My new Tiguan 1.4 150ACT is using Tesco Momentum and it runs so quietly at tick over you don't know the car is running and I have to glance at the rev counter to check, I know that over the years various motoring journalists have said that it doesn't make any difference but I know the cars run better so I sell carry on using the premium fuel.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Cheers guys had me worried there for a minute. I intend to fill up with the super stuff when doing longer holiday trips cheers

·
Registered
169 Posts
This argument is on every forum about the difference between the different petrols .
Ok fair enough I think shell v power says that you get 30 more miles more per tank etc but offset that with the extra cost for very little gain .
Most of the thing about super being better for your engine is just an advertising ploy as that has been backed up with independent tests , can't remember who ,in the past showing that there was very little difference between super and normal unleaded .
But you pays your money takes your choice it's up to every individual .
I know in my golf r it had to be super but tried all the usual v power , momentum etc and actually found the car ran better on texaco 97 which was actually slightly lower than the required 98 !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses! They have been extremely helpful in coming to a decision.

In the end I've decided to go for the Diesel engine. This is mostly due to the fact I've driven diesels for the last 8 years and do love the torque umph. That and being able to test drive the diesel engine gives me more confidence in my descision.

Now comes the fun negotiating stage, hopefully I'll have a build week to report back soon!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts