Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was interested as well, so wrote to VW to ask when it was coming. Got a reply today, they are NOT bringing it to the UK, as they don't think there will be sufficient orders for,it.

So again, we get short end....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Blackhog said:
I was interested as well, so wrote to VW to ask when it was coming. Got a reply today, they are NOT bringing it to the UK, as they don't think there will be sufficient orders for,it.

So again, we get short end....
In that case, I am very glad I did not wait for a GTE which I really wanted. It is disappointing that VW don't intend bringing the GTE to the UK. I guess I will continue polluting the atmosphere.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is a bit poor that they are not going to be selling in this country. Especially with the big drive towards cleaner cars and bad press that diesels are getting lately.

Anybody concerned about all this talk regarding Diesels and the future.. or lack of!?

·
Registered
220 Posts
RichyP said:
It is a bit poor that they are not going to be selling in this country. Especially with the big drive towards cleaner cars and bad press that diesels are getting lately.

Anybody concerned about all this talk regarding Diesels and the future.. or lack of!?
I feel very concerned. This will be my first ever diesel purchase and DSG; generally always had very economical cars. Whilst I know the Tiguan is supposed to be good on fuel compared to rivals, I still feel guilty shifting to diesel.

My main reason for the change is the resale value is better on an SUV with diesel. With all the bad press for diesel engines lately, I have considered on several occasions cancelling my order.

All this aside, I love everything else about the Tiguan and I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
'JJ1'....I will be concerned when all the lorries in this country are not diesel engines. At the moment all this hype of diesel polluting vehicles being banned from cities will not be at the earliest until 2025, possibly longer. The truck industry are at the moment running the new euro 6 engines in lorries are omitting less dangerous pollution than the euro 6 engines in cars. Development in newer diesel engines is always ongoing for lorries & cars, as is the case for other forms of transportation modes ie petrol, electric, or hydrogen.
I am by no means an expert in this field...it is just my personal view......So I will sit back and enjoy my Tig whatever the cost if it looses a bit at resale in 3/4 yrs time being diesel. Who knows I might then be persuaded to go to a different source of fuel...we'll see.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Made some enquiries here in Germany about the Tiguan GTE and the dealers can only say a GTE version will be launched as part of VWs objective to be the world leader in providing a full model range of plug in cars. But to date they can give no advice on launch date or price and they will not take any order reservations. They would only show pictures of what appears to be 2 versions which have already been published in car magazines.

·
Registered
103 Posts
GTE. I REALLY wouldn't want to be an early adopter of such tech, certainly not as an owner. And then try getting that type of car repaired outside the dealer network when it's 4 years old.....
I am aware of the Golf gte, but have yet to see one on the road.
If people who have a short commute to work, suitable for an EV really cared about the environment, perhaps they should cycle or use public transport. They should not be driving a largeish SUV. (Shields on!)

Diesels. Yes it's a bit of a financial concern, but that's one major reason why I leased my diesel auto. I don't give a monkey's what my "investment" is "worth" in 3 years. However, if on PCP I would now be very concerned.
Emissions...well I am doing my bit by having the latest tech, and on the occasions I go to London, I would not dream of driving into town. I use public transport!

Being something of a cynic, it was all go for diesels in the recent past, electric is now flavour of the month.
There are enormous, and as yet mostly unaddresed problems with EV. Those used battery packs are not easy to get rid of, never mind the cost to replace...and then there are the electrical power generation and distribution issues for all these new plug ins.
In the village where I live, the power distribution co could not provide me with a reinforced electrical supply adequate to run an additional 10 kw shower, as their network is "at capacity"!
Good job I didn't order that new electric Porsche Panamera with it's high capacity charger! :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Come to think of it...

The whole idea of a "GT" EV is a bit weird to me!
Mixed messages, at the very least?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Grey Eddy,
You make a good and reasoned argument. I did want to consider a GTE, when i need to change mine, but i think i will be buying another R line and i might just go petrol and add to the governments worry about the ozone layer.... it wasn't long ago, that petrol was the bad boy and diesel was the fuel of the future, like you i am unsure of how they will dispose of the battery packs. Also, if everyone switched overnight to electric cars, the grid wouldn't be able to cope, and what about the ozone if we switch to petrol from nasty diesel.
I think, you are right GTE is a bit weird, didn't give it a deeper thought till i read your posting.
I have a R line diesel, and enjoy the performance just a bit concerned about the trade in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When my PCP contract is up in four years I am led to believe there will be a Touareg 2ltr hybrid available within the new spec released in around 18 months. This is the car of choice for the wife and I feel if this is what she wants I will push for the hybrid engine purely for economy compared to the 3.0 v6 tdi engine.

VW are waiting to release this model because the engine etc will have been tried and tested by the new Audi Q7 Hybrid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The GTE variant may be quite some time away (for the Touareg that is), we've yet to see the Touareg officially unveiled at an auto show, and can take some time before the hybrid makes an appearance at showrooms. I'm anticipating the Tiguan GTE will be made available within this model lifecycle (prior to mid-refresh), definitely something I'd look at upgrading to from my Tiguan that has yet to arrive..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts