Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve ordered a R-Line for delivery later this year (hopefully!). Because I would like to drive on the continent during winter, to the Alps. I‘m looking at sourcing all-season tyres. Winter tyres are expensive and a faff because you have to put them on and take them off and store the tyres that aren’t being used. All-season tyres can be left on all year but satisfy most european countries’ winter requirements where they have the 3-peak mountain snowflake symbol (3PMS) on them, not just a M&S symbol.
However, in the tyre size for the R-Line, 255/40 R20, there are no all-season tyres available at all and only a small choice of summer and winter tyres. The UK Elegance version has 235/55 R19 tyres and the German R-Line version has 255/45 R19 tyres, for both of which there is a much wider choice of all tyre types.
My question is why VW offers a wheel size for which you are so limited in tyre options and for which there are seemingly no all-season tyres available at all?
Automotive tire Grey Font Rim Automotive lighting

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question re non-availablity of 20" all-season tyres. However the summer 245/40R20 tyre is around min. £170 per corner so don't expect all season tyres to be cheaper (which means you need to be prepared to spend at least some £750 fitted).

That said the usual "continental way" of doing things in winter is to buy separate and smaller alloys (for example 18" alloys like VW Kingston or Patagonia) and fit proper winter tyres. Especially if you are planning to keep the car for some time. There is plenty of 18" VW alloys on eBay (used or new) and I think 18" winter tyres are cheaper.
You will appreciate the ride comfort on 18"s as well because driving on 20" is pretty firm to say it nicely ;-)

Below is how my old R-Line looked like on 18" Patagonia alloys (as well as I guess interesting thread for you too).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Try Blackcircle Tyres. You'll prob have to have them delivered and get the, fitted locally but I've never had a problem with that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Try Blackcircle Tyres. You'll prob have to have them delivered and get the, fitted locally but I've never had a problem with that.
Except Black Circles don't sell that size in all season. As the OP says tyre choice in that size is limited. Black Circles do one winter tyre in that size at £385 a corner.
That's why I suggested the site above so they can see if alternative sizes would work.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Those 20” wheels were one of the things that put me off the R-Line, it wouldn’t have been enough on its own but I certainly added to my decision.

Don’t know why they do it, the equivalent Audi, the Q3 S-Line, has 19” wheels.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not cheap, but an option. Have not tried them

So there is a All Season tyre in the correct size - well found sir!!!!

On offer at £203 and I have heard of the brand as well.

I'd be tempted if I actually had a Tiguan on the drive :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Yo Quinny

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,654 Posts
And the Vredestein gets a great review from TyreReviews

Steve

·
Registered
309 Posts
give me 5 minutes, a mobile and a beer and I can achieve most things!!

I have the same temptation as you, although allegedly now in production!

• Haha
Reactions: Andy.M

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know the answer to your question re non-availablity of 20" all-season tyres. However the summer 245/40R20 tyre is around min. £170 per corner so don't expect all season tyres to be cheaper (which means you need to be prepared to spend at least some £750 fitted).

That said the usual "continental way" of doing things in winter is to buy separate and smaller alloys (for example 18" alloys like VW Kingston or Patagonia) and fit proper winter tyres. Especially if you are planning to keep the car for some time. There is plenty of 18" VW alloys on eBay (used or new) and I think 18" winter tyres are cheaper.
You will appreciate the ride comfort on 18"s as well because driving on 20" is pretty firm to say it nicely ;-)

Below is how my old R-Line looked like on 18" Patagonia alloys (as well as I guess interesting thread for you too).

Hi, thanks for your reply. I wondered about the ride quality on the 20” wheels but the R-Line tips the scales over the Elegance for me. I’m tall and the standard sun roof on the Elegance eats into headroom so that was a no no for me. I just don’t know why VW don’t scale the wheels back to give a better ride, better tyre availability and probably cheaper tyres. You don’t need low profile tyres on a car like this. I might look at winter wheel/tyre combos but I wanted to avoid having to change wheels completely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So there is a All Season tyre in the correct size - well found sir!!!!

On offer at £203 and I have heard of the brand as well.

That’s better! Still expensive, but better. I’ve got Vredestein Quatracs on my Merc and have used them for a while. I wish I’d got my Tiguan. I was contacted by the VW dealership today to say that the order I placed very early in November had been accepted by VW so the build can be scheduled but no delivery date is available. I was told that orders being taken today are being quoted a 1 year lead time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not cheap, but an option. Have not tried them

Sorry about the delay in responding. I have the Vredesteins on my current car - a Mercedes C350 Estate and they are great and cost only a small premium over ‘summer’ tyres. They just mean you comply if driving in Europe in winter. I don’t know how much benefit they provide in snow but they have fine sipes, just like winter tyres.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts