Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Anyone experience the Tiguan slow to take off in traffic as the guy in the video mentioned?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ed1 said:
Anyone experience the Tiguan slow to take off in traffic as the guy in the video mentioned?
Feels slow off the line but once on the move it feels fine. If your rolling along in traffic the take off is ok in my opinion It's not a hot hatch As he said he'd been driving a civic R.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Which one was he driving? I'm hoping the 240 will feel faster!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think it was a review that had the intention from the outset of being controversial!........it is obvious for all to see that the difference between the Tiguan Mk1 and Mk2 is leagues apart in most aspects!

·
Registered
610 Posts
It was the 150Tdi, i have read and watched loads of reviews and this is the only one that has a real dig at it. Most reviews give 4 out of 5 or higher or 8 out of 10 or higher. Thing is he goes on about the boot being too small, for me the size from the Mk1 to the Mk2 is huge and if he thinks its on par only with a golf he needs to get an eye test. There are a few guys on here who have owned both and from what has been said they are chalk and cheese. At the end of the day I have bought an SUV not a GTI, yes in Eco the auto can be a bit slow to kick in, so put it in to S mode while you wait at the junction if it's busy. For me I bought the car that appealed to ME in cost, size, safety, and touch wood reliable.

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you want slow of the line you should try the petrol Nissan QQ manual. It caught us out a good few times pulling off from a round about. Sometimes being a little scary I can tell you. Being almost half way across the first lane before it kicks in.
Well documented on some of the forums.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Obv I've not got mine yet but my current tig is the 2.0 tdi 140 manual and I find it fast enough for what it is tbh . So I'm expecting the new 2.0 tdi to be pretty similar . Also if performance was on my list of priorities I'd have good for the more powerful version

·
Registered
17 Posts
No problem with my SEL 190.
if you want the best get away turn off the Auto Stop / start but this isnt much of an issue.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Having only just viewed this, I've realise he doesn't say it's slow on take off from stop, rather that when you slow up nearly to a stop and then floor it it takes time for the DSG to re-engage and pull away. It's true, I've noticed this in both the Tig (mk1), and my previous passat (my son borrowed the passat for a few days and made the same comment). It does seem to need a moment or to to decide what you're telling it to do. Maybe I've got used to it and compensate but I don't seem to notice as much now.

What do Mk2 tig drivers think?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Tricky I,ve drove a few auto's in my time and the DSG isn't all that bad really you should try a fiat one :lol: Each are diffrent and you learn as you go along, as long as you don't get a dead spot at a rounabout it should be ok, if need be just kick down hard on the go pedal :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
No complaints, driving the 2.0 tdi and its quick enough. Just hit the throttle a bit harder when you want to leave a bit faster. The Tig makes driving so much easier, less stress = less need to speed away, just cruising in style ;-)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with GTD184 and think the presenter is controversial as you can see in his You Tube review when he breaks the rear bumper stating that the angle of departure of 16° is inadequate for off-roading! Why didn't this car have the 'Outdoor pack' fitted then, especially on the terrain you see him driving about on as this I believe increases the angle of departure to 24°!

·
Registered
491 Posts
FTT said:
Tricky I,ve drove a few auto's in my time and the DSG isn't all that bad really you should try a fiat one :lol: Each are diffrent and you learn as you go along, as long as you don't get a dead spot at a rounabout it should be ok, if need be just kick down hard on the go pedal :D
You do have to be wary with VAG though as they use at least 6 different DSG boxes.

As far as I know the mk2 Tig is same as mk1 - 7 speed wet clutch. I find ours works fine, and compares well to the 5 speed torque converter auto in my older Merc - that box is often regarded as a reference point for how auto boxes should work.

What I was surprised by is the Passat Alltrack with basically the same engine and 4Motion, uses a different DSG box. It has a 6 speed dry plate clutch DSG. Loads of people on Pistonheads got them in a lease glitch deal and they say it's absolutely awful.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi all

Looked at the "review" and not sure that its really representative

OK VW's trim is not great but its not bad either

But the car test(s) is a bit of a joke and I will admit annoying

What muppet drives at that speed off-road - forget "departure angle" think real world - I tend to look where I'm going and think about the situation, approaching at a steady pace. Tigs are not Landrovers they are a general purpose SUV - small streams and slopes at a steady pace, not the Paris_Dakar rally.

I have access to a private test road and in respect of the "lag"

Enter at 40mph and floor the throttle against a 1 mile road with bends and a 35m rise

Merc C Class AMG 250 Diesel - 105mph at marker
SAAB 93 Aero (petrol) - 100 at marker
SAAB 95 Arc (petrol) - 95 at marker
VW Tig - 100 at marker with less than 1k on the clock and still a tight engine

If the Tig lags it makes up for it real time and thats what counts

Cheers

Earl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.