Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I was wondering how responsive people have found the dealer when asking about selecting part of the number plate? From a little research, I can see that the first 2 letters (dealer location) and 2 numbers (year) can't be changed but what about the last 3 letters?

I would quite like to have the first initials of my wife, son and me....sounds silly I know but thought it would be a nice touch.

I intend on asking my dealer soon but wanted to see if people had any resistance first (not that i'm worried about that with my dealer. brilliant service so far). My provisional build week is 16 (w/c 17th April).

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's unlikely you'll get the exact letters you want. From experience each dealer usually has a list of between 5 - 30 registrations pre-allocated to them from DVLA, and to be honest they're usually the worst of the letters - not many vowels, mostly F,K,V,X,Js etc.

I usually do ask to pick from the list rather than be assigned one though on the basis that I *might* find one of the combinations somewhat memorable.

Failing that, it's a personalized plate from DVLA, which I think you can get for a couple of hundred up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MBS. I thought that might be the case :roll: . I'll ask the dealer and update everyone on their response.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It does depend on dealer. My previous Audi dealer used to have a list of around a 100 and I got some good ones over the years. My VW dealer this time claimed he only had 3 and then didn't give me a choice although what I got is OK.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I explained this process in a past post

Basically the DVLA will issue a pool of numbers
If you ask the sales person to get the list from the sales admin team you could pick the number provided they have not already tagged it to your vehicle

This is a simple process and you might get lucky and get something that matches your initials etc

·
Registered
157 Posts
My dealer said her favourite part of the process was picking the plates! :) She managed to find a 17 plate with my initials, which is cool.... Even though I have a private plate to put on lol

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Randomly I seem to get ones easy to remember, my prior Passat was BYO my current tug is WYZ . More relevant if you realise I'm welsh by birth, so I was a boyo, but now I'm wise.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mine is YDR, "You Dirty Rat".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts